FT MS ME-262

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I think the power is okay. I didn't do anything rowdy on the first flight, just some mellow circuits while trying to get my hands to stop shaking. It does seem like a stable, gentle platform- I'm just trying to learn how to land it now without overshooting the runway.

Yea, it's that "THUD!" at the end......I'm totally new to these types of controllers myself.

:ROFLMAO::sneaky:(y):coffee:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Quattro bites the dust- check out the cool folding wing trick at 1:35. Post mortem revealed the same busted center spar as plane #3, even with it doubled up on #4. I'd strongly urge anyone interested in building this beasty to use a long carbon fiber rod in the wing instead of wood. I just don't think those thin plywood spars can handle the flexing of that skinny 70" wing for long.

I don't think I want to rebuild or go for #5. Can you become an ace... on yourself? If anyone needs, I have two 70mm EDFs I'm not using anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c71OTtxfoeg

Attachments

• 20220307_145048.jpg
    20220307_145048.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Quattro bites the dust- check out the cool folding wing trick at 1:35. Post mortem revealed the same busted center spar as plane #3, even with it doubled up on #4. I'd strongly urge anyone interested in building this beasty to use a long carbon fiber rod in the wing instead of wood. I just don't think those thin plywood spars can handle the flexing of that skinny 70" wing for long.

I don't think I want to rebuild or go for #5. Can you become an ace... on yourself? If anyone needs, I have two 70mm EDFs I'm not using anymore.

Maybe add BBQ skewers to reinforce it??

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Good idea, but after folding up two of these wings, I don't think anything less than carbon fiber or maybe thin aluminum would work. This one had the center spar doubled up and it still failed after 4 flights.
That's a booger! It looks like it flies well though, and just think how good you are at building them now. Give it a week or two before you sell your EDFs :)

chickenhawk

I put a plywood doubler on both side of the spar and caped the top of it. After some long thought about it I'm starting to think the weight of the EDF units and the extra plywood around them is just more weight than the spar can hold. I'm not going to be happy if my twin prop one fails at the spar area.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I put a plywood doubler on both side of the spar and caped the top of it. After some long thought about it I'm starting to think the weight of the EDF units and the extra plywood around them is just more weight than the spar can hold. I'm not going to be happy if my twin prop one fails at the spar area.

I'll be following your adventures; lets hope you have better success!

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/xf-18-super-hornet-twin-70mm-edf-jet.63162/
I was going to build one of these soon
not sure though

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I just saw your post. Now that they are available, are you still thinking about building an F-18? Looking at the initial glamour shots, it would seem to be a better design for a belly lander than the Me-262.
im prolly going to get started in mid april- early may. as i found my sister has access to a laser cutter so cutting out parts wont be a pain.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I've heard of triplanes, biplanes, and monoplanes- I'm not sure what you call a no-wing plane. Unplane!
a No-winged plane, It's a Nadaplane... anymore :LOL:

Honestly, I, like most of these guys, have an unbuilt kit and am glad to be able to take cues from the experience here. Full throws, BBQ skewer and rudder controls. ADD wood to splice past the spar weak spot (I mine has it), and careful on the landing gear ply. I have at lease a Mr. Mulligan to build before I start this... but it will be incredible once there.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It really is a cool plane when it's in the air. Big. Loud. Presence. You'll enjoy it, Foamy. It should be warm enough now for Chickenhawk to start flying his plane- maybe you two can compare notes when you finish building.

dbmarcott

Does anyone know how long the landing gear needs to be? Need to install it before closing up the wing. I am contemplating retracts.

dbmarcott

EDFs...yes the weight is a problem I need to watch. I have the FT Viggen and FT X29 (both EDFs) and had a lot of trouble hand launching so I installed landing gear (fixed) on both and they takeoff and land beautifully (we have a 450ft concrete runway) . I think the landing gear reduced the speed so I was considering retracts but would be more weight. In calculating wing loading the ME262 should carry the extra weight OK. Would increase the landing and takeoff speeds. I am concerned after reading about the wing failures! The instructions show how to install the fixed gear but just a general picture of the wire bends. I guess I can make the legs extra long and cut as needed when I get the plane finished.
Thanks for the responce.

chickenhawk

EDFs...yes the weight is a problem I need to watch. I have the FT Viggen and FT X29 (both EDFs) and had a lot of trouble hand launching so I installed landing gear (fixed) on both and they takeoff and land beautifully (we have a 450ft concrete runway) . I think the landing gear reduced the speed so I was considering retracts but would be more weight. In calculating wing loading the ME262 should carry the extra weight OK. Would increase the landing and takeoff speeds. I am concerned after reading about the wing failures! The instructions show how to install the fixed gear but just a general picture of the wire bends. I guess I can make the legs extra long and cut as needed when I get the plane finished.
Thanks for the responce.

I went with by guess and by golly with the bends, I left the legs about a foot long ( what a pain to work around LOL ) , when she was all finished I did the finial bends. I made the front landing gear just a bit longer to give me a bit of nose up on the ground and a bit more prop clearence. I can run out to the shop and do a quick measure if you would like.

chickenhawk

Chickenhawk! Were you ever able to maiden your Me-262?

I did do some ground testing, but I chickened out on flying it. The wing folding thing brothered me, so as I was watching to see how yours worked out I built a A10 been flying that for right now. But now with you asking and winter build season coming up ( yes we have had our first snow fall ) I'm going out to the shop, take it down charge the battery up and give it a go on Saturday. Will let you know how it goes.