• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Should I get a Ventus as my first real plane?

Hi i'm fairly new to R/C flight, and want to get a Hobbyking Ventus to be used as a trainer. Is this a good idea if I disable the ailerons, flaps & landing gear until I get more experience? The reason I want this plane is so when I get enough flight time I can enable some of the more advanced features.

Also is there a max weight I can put on the ventus? Thinking about a live FPV camera/system.

Also considering the Radian Pro with same settings as i said above.

Does anyone know of a way/place to get the radian pro + a decent TX/RX with lots of features like this + shipping to this zip for under $220? "19047 PA"

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I do not think that the Ventus is a great first real plane and you should not disable the ailerons and other things.
Try to get a Radian Standard - not the Pro if you want a plane as a trainer.
None of those planes are the best for FPV.

I'm a big fan of the AXN Floater Jet, aka Clouds Fly. It's a great plane to learn on and grow with. Purchasing a first plane needs quite a few "acessories" as well. Search the forums for Colorex's thread about when he was shopping for his first plane. I and others posted several ideas for what he should purchase. I think he ended up getting a Bixler... also a good/fun plane.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yep, the Bixler is a brilliant plane. I highly recommend it to beginners, as it is super easy to fly and can be used as a thermal hunter, sport plane and a FPV platform just to name a few. The Ventus is a one trick pony, that's very good at what it does, but I don't think you can beat the Bixler as a great all round beginner-> advanced plane. And the Bixler is dirt cheap from Hobbyking. The AXN is also great, but is very cramped for room in the fuselage. I like the Radian, but, like all HH stuff it's expensive. You can get a Turnigy 9x, batteries and a Bixler for quite a bit less than a PNF Radian.

teflyer

Full Circle
As said before, the Ventus is not good option. Start with a Bixler/Skysurfer/Wildhawk/Easystar. Then as you progress, you can put in all sorts of crazy things: ailerons if there is not any programmable flaps, landing gear if you really want that, lights, more powerful motors, extra control surfaces.

PaulT

Mentor
Yea!!!! All food for thought and great advise. I have been flying the Bixlers for a while and they can be modified alot. External motor mounts, bigger motors and take to Gorilla glue and duct tape like a champ!!!

AXN is what I'd go for. Excellent plane for a beginner. Bixler is another one though the AXN is slightly smaller and easier to fit in a car. I have the AXN and buddy box it for all my friends/kids to fly.