Should my glue dig into the foam like this?

image.jpeg

The glue gun is a Stanley dual melt pro and I'm using Mastercraft general purpose gluesticks, which are multitemp. I use the gun on "high" temp setting (410 degrees farenhight)and I notice that the glue has lots of bubbles when it comes out of the gun and it looks like it is boiling. Is this normal? If it isn't any suggestions?

I've tried the low temp mode but it seems too low to be very useful.

ViperTech

My Stanley dual temp gun does the same thing except low temp is good for short runs and sealing edges. I have 4 different glue guns and they all bubble on high and it has not been a problem.I noticed it is worse if the glue gun has been setting in the holder for a long time and if I just do a trigger squeeze into my drip box it seems to cool it down and bubble less.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
SHOULD it. No probably not, but I've had a couple glue guns that do the same thing and they don't really make any difference in the the way a plane is built or flown. It's just a matter of aesthetics.

Jugsy

Are you touching the tip of the glue gun to the foam? I find that melts in to it fairly quickly... otherwise I use a glue gun at a similar temp without any problems! Maybe try different sticks?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Looks like damage from either the tip of the glue gun making contact or the glue itself being far too hot.

If you want a simple, (almost infinitely variable), temperature control for you glue gun then set it to high permanently and connect it to a light dimmer circuit. Just dim the lights, (so to speak), and the power fed to the iron is decreased.

Most glue guns are below 40 Watt so a domestic version light dimmer would be more than adequate.

Have fun, fly high, land slow.

Alright, thanks for the great answers everyone. The light dimmer thing sounds cool and yeah I was thinking of getting the AdTech sticks from walmart instead. What I might do is when I have the option, I will put glue on the paper and let it sit for a second and then push the foam onto it. :D