Show us your working area!

earthsciteach

Being banished to the basement isn't so bad!

A couple of weeks ago, I was evicted from the living room and sent to the basement to make room for the Christmas Tree. Well, it isn't so bad! I've set myself up a nice work area. It still needs work, but I have a long work bench that I built a couple of years ago as a Lego building table for my younger son. Its low to the ground, so I may be putting a rise kit on it in the future. I also have tv and a refrigerator. Bonus-the fridge has a beer tap! Haven't used it in a while, but since I'm downstairs, why not? Here's a pic.

Attachments

• RC man cave.jpg
    RC man cave.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 49

RCAirpower

Hi all,

Nice working area's!!

Here's my R/C hobby room:

WorkingArea1.jpg

WorkingArea2.jpg

WorkingArea3.jpg

Next summer this room will be renovated, but it remains the hobby room :cool:

Regards,

Pim

RCAirpower

Hey Pim, which do you like the most? Bixler 1 or Bixler 2?

Definitely the Bixler 2! I ordered the ARF Bixler 2 a few months ago. The standard motor is very weak. I replaced it with an Turnigy D2826/6 2200kv motor and now it goes straight up. It's very stable and with flaps down it almost lands like a Harrier :D

The only downside is the way the wing is secured. I used to slide my 2200 3S battery back underneath the wings to compensate for the weight of my GoPro camera, but due to the new way the wings are secured there's a plastic tube just behind the cockpit.
As I do not remove the wings for transport I think I will remove the plastic tubes and just glue the wings on.

Yesterday I did some T&G's in the snow, with 50% throttle and flaps down it was airborne in no time :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Definitely the Bixler 2! I ordered the ARF Bixler 2 a few months ago. The standard motor is very weak. I replaced it with an Turnigy D2826/6 2200kv motor and now it goes straight up. It's very stable and with flaps down it almost lands like a Harrier :D

The only downside is the way the wing is secured. I used to slide my 2200 3S battery back underneath the wings to compensate for the weight of my GoPro camera, but due to the new way the wings are secured there's a plastic tube just behind the cockpit.
As I do not remove the wings for transport I think I will remove the plastic tubes and just glue the wings on.

Yesterday I did some T&G's in the snow, with 50% throttle and flaps down it was airborne in no time :D

I can't share with you. A friend bought a Bixler, but it feels very sluggish and "fat". I think I need to sand the stator for it to work better. The prop adapter was off balance. For the first crash he had, the wings ripped out without the screw. As for my velcroed Bixler 1 wings would be intact. The B2 has been crashed a few times, so it will probably never fly well again.

BTW There was a hell of an earthquake here as I was writing this! It was very short and all is fine though.

lonewolf7717

Hey Airpower? Is that a foamboard/depron A5 Icon scratchbuilt i see laying on your desk? And if so how did it turn out? Your plans or find them online?

WorkingArea1.jpg

lonewolf7717

Alright this thread gave me the excuse I needed to clean up my space a bit. This is just the counter top, not going to include "the rest". Single guy currently living in 214sqft with tons of planes, a bed and a dog....but thats about it lol. Yes I do have a full bathroom with shower and a TINYYYYYYYYYY kitchen.....thats it to the left of the soldering iron.....all 2sqft of it lol. 2013-01-26_22-25-10_318[1].jpg 2013-01-26_22-27-15_953[1].jpg

earthsciteach

I posted a pic of my work area a few months ago, but things have grown, so I thought I'd give you guys a full tour and show you some of my unfinished projects. Now, this hasn't REALLY been my work area - that's been in the kitchen. It gets lonely down here. But, my wife has "encouraged" me to better utilize this space. I believe it was phrased as, "I am really sick of all of your crap everywhere. I can't even sit at my own kitchen table!" That was the nice version. So, back to the basement.

First, here's a couple of shots of the whole space, just so you guys can get a feel for it.

DSCF8249.JPG DSCF8233.JPG

Next, my SE 5a scratchbuilt. I've flown it a couple of times, but the cg was a tad aft so it was squirrelly. Then I got distracted. I know it'll be a good flyer once I take the time to figure the cg out.

DSCF8234.JPG

This is the Thunder Tiger 40 that Pilot294 from the forum generously donated to my flight club. Its on my list of things to get flying. Basically, I just need to fly it. And, I still owe him a scratch built fpv wing. Gotta get on that!

DSCF8235.JPG

Here's the latest addition to my fleet, a Durafly F4U Corsair. She's being maidened this evening. I need to install the control horns, yet. Very nice model! Note the potato gun of awesomness in the background.

DSCF8236.JPG

Next stop is a sailplane that I found out for garbage. I've flown it a couple of times, but I think the wing may be warped and needs recovering. She tended to spin in quite easily. Could have been a cg thing, too. I'll get back to it someday. Hanging by its tail is the Red Tailed Hawk glider that I built with the intention of filming its demise at the talons of a couple of real red tailed hawks. It'd take me less than an hour to get it ready to go (not counting paint), but I got distracted. One of these days...

DSCF8239.JPG

And there sits my latest project, the STOL scratchbuild. I'll be vacuum forming a cowling in a bit. The fiberglass isn't releasing and I don't want to destroy the plug, yet. It should work out ok using the glassed plug as a form. Its sitting on top of kit box of the ASW-15 glider I'm building (more on that below), a Sig Kadet kit and a shoebox full of a Guillows Super Cub that is ready for assembly. Someday.

DSCF8238.JPG

This hovercraft was a fun little project I built during a snow day. It worked really well, but I plucked one of the motors off for the STOL plane. I've got a spare I can put on it laying around, I'm sure.

DSCF8240.JPG

And here's the progress of the ASW-15. Its a 100" span, balsa wing, molded fuselage kit. I have one wing assembled. I did that probably about 4 months ago, maybe more. Then I got distracted. I really want to finish this thing.

DSCF8247.JPG

Here's my Air Wing (Bixler/Sky Surfer). Love this plane! The yellow coroplast thing is a US AirCore Classic 40 kit that I've had for many, many years. Finally started building it over the winter, but the contact cement fumes made me woozy. I decided to wait for warmer weather and proper ventilation. Hey, the weather is warmer, now. Behind that is an Aeromaster Too biplane kit. Its a 48" wingspan model that reminds me a lot of a Great Lakes bipe. Don't really know much about it, other than that.

DSCF8250.JPG

Here's the wall of stuff. Some old radios, tools, etc. The little foamy hanging below the partially finished foamie on the pegboard is my first ever scratchbuilt. Its based on the Globe-Temco Swift. It was underpowered and wing loading was crazy high. Too much crap in a small bag. But, given the right micro-components, I think it could fly someday. The plane it is hanging below is going to be a scaled up version of it. I'm playing around with skinning the wings with foam board. But, I got distracted. I'll get back to it someday. Above the peg board is the airframe from my more intact FMS 800mm Spitfire. Man, what a handful! It looks fantastic in the air, though. That is when I can keep it in the air. Then, there is my beloved Assassin combat wing and one of my XPS wings. Can't beat them for fun!

DSCF8243.JPG DSCF8242.JPG DSCF8244.JPG

Finally, here's my little work table. Today's project is converting the 0.50 cal ammo can to a battery charging bunker. I've done some research and am comfortable that the box alone with contain a LiPo fire. I am going to throw in a bag of sand per JetPackNinja's recommendation. I'll post up pics when done. A guy over on RC groups had a really nice set up, so I'm basing it on that.

DSCF8246.JPG

Oh, almost forgot. I do have more models that are flying or at least close enough to flying. My HZ Super Cub, Art Tech F6F Hellcat (bought it off a neighborhood guy who crashed the crap out of it on maiden and rebuilt) and my Stearman. The Stearman is in the repair hanger at the moment because some blockhead insisted on maidening it in stupidly high wind. Repairs are pretty much done. I'm just trying to match the yellow of the covering. Its not easy.

DSCF8248.JPG

And that's pretty much the tour. Everything is down here, now, including me. Sure is quiet and that sofa is looking comfy...

Liemavick

Mentor
Which one? I have 3 and they all live in the state of organized chaos since I got sucked into this @#%ing (loving) hobby. Who am I kidding they all were a mess even before I found Flite Test, but it has added on to the pile. :)

earthsciteach

Which one? I have 3 and they all live in the state of organized chaos since I got sucked into this @#%ing (loving) hobby. Who am I kidding they all were a mess even before I found Flite Test, but it has added on to the pile. :)

You have 3 wives? My God, man! You are a glutton for punishment! LOL

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Teach PLEASE cover that fiberglass insulation before you die of both emphysema and lung cancer.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

I have plans for finishing the basement all drawn up, complete with bar and other comforts. But, once that is done, I won't have a workspace!

Liemavick

Mentor
Teach if you go forward with your plans the wife will then hangout in the basement. That will free up the kitchen table again for you. Gotta think big picture here Brother.

Gryf

@earthsciteach - ditto what Tritium said about your exposed insulation, but you have to admit that it looks like pink clouds! ;-)

Gryf

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
@earthsciteach - ditto what Tritium said about your exposed insulation, but you have to admit that it looks like pink clouds! ;-)

Gryf

Yea, but EST is only rated for VFR so he doesn't need the "temptation" the "clouds" provide! :p

Thurmond