Sig 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Cub, Bringing it Back to Life!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Work has stopped temporarily on my other 1/4 scale Cub, and started on a Funfighter and this Clipped Wing Cub. I got this one in fall at a swap meet for $100, which included the floats and standard landing gear. No motor, but it included all the servos and was fairly complete. Some hardware was missing, along with the springs to the tail wheel for steering, but it was all pretty minimal stuff. By the time the other Cub was almost complete I had enough left over pieces to take care of most missing pieces on this one!

In all it's "just purchased" glory with my son, here is my starting point.

Sig Cub 1.jpg

Switching over to landing gear instead of floats saves me a LOT of space on the table. Even with the wing removed, it's still a big project. This one is nowhere near as bad of condition as the other Cub. The covering was a little saggy here and there, but nothing a dose of hot air doesn't fix. Colors are a little dated and it's been patched a dozen times, but for now it'll do. Eventually it'll get re-covered and given a new color scheme.

IMG_0539.JPG

Servos are from Tower Hobbies. Unlike the other Cub, the nose on this one is wide open and spacious for a gas tank. The dash is also an upgrade from stock and includes instruments.

IMG_0541.JPG

The wing is a little worn, but needs no repairs to be used as-is. To give you an idea of the size difference between a standard "full" wing and the Clipped Wing, here's a side-by-side. The rectangle "window" is the center-point of the wing, so the Clipped Wing is about 2' shorter total. That should give me a little more aerobatic performance compared to stock.

IMG_0544.JPG

A few things on the fuselage need changing. First up is the power switch. With a nitro motor you only need a single switch for the electronics. I could use it, but prefer a switch for the receiver/servos and another one for the electronic ignition for the gas motor. Oh, I'm going with gas on this build, just like the other Cub. This will be a 26cc Turnigy, which I got for 1/2 price on Hobby King. Reviews are good, but repair parts may be iffy. I'll buy what I can for it and take the chance for the price I paid.

IMG_0545.JPG

Here's the dual switch setup going into this Cub. It's a better version of what I used previously, since this one is metal and the fuel dot actually works. It's also got the dual charging ports so each battery can be charged independently, which is good since they're different voltages.

IMG_0546.JPG

Also going into this plane is an optical kill switch. Once I program my failsafe settings on the receiver, this will kill the motor if I lose signal or if I flip a switch programmed as the kill-switch on the transmitter. It's another level of security, "just in case".

IMG_0547.JPG

I want to re-use parts that came with the plane whenever I can. This is the original tank as it was set up for nitro. The tank itself is fine, although I'm not sold on the round shape. If I change it for any reason, it's because I switch to a flat bottom.

IMG_0548.JPG

So the tank was good, but the rubber bung was rotting. It also probably wouldn't be compatible with gas, so it had to go.

IMG_0549.JPG

Using the original copper lines as templates I bent a new vent line and soldered barbs on the ends to better hold the gas lines in place. Wrapping them with wire should also work just fine, but this is just cheap insurance against leaks or failures.

IMG_0550.JPG

With the pieces all in place, the clunk and tank line are secured with a quick wrap of wire. This new rubber bung is formulated to work with gas. Kind of an important detail...!

IMG_0551.JPG

All set and ready to fill! The tank had some slimy residue in it from the nitro used years ago. I have no idea how long it's been since the plane flew, but gunk in the tank isn't Kosher. Some fresh gas was poured in to dissolve it and it was shaken up for a while before rinsing it all out with hot soapy water. No traces remain of the old stuff, so it should be ready.

IMG_0552.JPG

More to come!

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
$100 for all that is one heck of a deal. Looks like it is in pretty decent shape. Should be a lot of fun. From the looks of it, the clipped wing cub is exactly the same as their normal cub but with shorter wings? Same mounting system and everything? So theoretically both wing styles could be used on the same fuselage?

Just noticed, those floats look different than mine. I wonder where they are from? Sig floats aren't as curvy along the top edge and have wooden cross braces, while yours are all wire.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yes, only the wing and struts are different. If the mounting holes in the wings matched I could swap wings on the fuselage. Since they were made by different builders at different times the holes don't line up well enough. But it would be fun to take one fuselage and two different wings to the field so you could change flying style without an entire second plane.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Looks like I won't use the original round gas tank after all... Round just isn't a good shape for a square area as it needs extra bracing to keep it from rolling. The tank was originally wrapped with a bunch of nasty old foam and tape. A new 16 oz rectangular tank will fit well and require much less padding. Plus, tanks are cheap! From Hobby King you can get their generic tanks for $3 or so. I'm going with a Dubro square tank for $5 and not worrying about quality. The new engine should be here by Friday and the old round tank will be strapped to my test-stand for it.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Can't believe you're tackling the second of these and I haven't touched my RV since before you started :p

Dinning room table is clear for a change...but I really want to get this BN versa (That I started before the RV) finished and flying FPV first.

Good news is I should get more flying/building time soon. My wife just got moved from being a copy editor to being a writer at the paper so instead of crazy late hours with random days off she's going to be on a stable 9-5 M-F schedule - though she will have the occasional odd hour when she has to do things like cover school board meetings but that's only 3 nights a month which is a lot better than 5 nights a week! With her on a normal schedule I won't be single parent every evening and half of my weekends. So I should be able to get the occasional evening or Saturday afternoon to go fly ;)

I actually kind of like the colors on this one though, but I tend to have a soft spot for vintage browns like that.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It certainly helps that my kids are older and reasonably self sufficient, so while they do homework I get to play airplanes! Any chance you're going to make it out to Flite Fest again this year?

Hopefully I can get started on the RV7 you printed plans forme on soon, but all these other projects seem to get in my way!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Won't get to make fest this year :( Just no budget for a trip this summer since we really need to replace the car ASAP. Really wish we could, but every other year is the most we can really even hope to pull off. But we have a hard enough time pulling off Ohio visits to see family every other year so flitefest may end up like the olympics for us - something that happens every 4 years (every other family visit.)

I'm still hoping you try the medicine man glider I sent you, only seen 2 or 3 of them built and would love to see another :D

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Too bad you can't make it, it'd be nice to hang out and fly with you again. If my dad weren't going with me I doubt I'd be making the trip, but he cuts my travel costs in half and allows me to justify it with my wife. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
jhitesma - you were at FTFF 2015? Damn. I missed too many people!

You were pointed out to me once or twice, but the only times I wasn't busy you looked busy :D I think you were sitting right behind me helping wilsonman for a bit :)

I'd love to go again, and so would my wife. Our daughter...wasn't as big on it. She loved camping and didn't mind all the flying stuff...but it doesn't hold her attention very long. Of course since the main reason we visit Ohio regularly is to visit grandma and grandpa she can always spend time with them instead - but then she doesn't get to camp.

Loved the build tent. I don't think it would be possible for them to add too much build room - I suspect no matter how much they provide projects will spawn to fill it.

We're overdue for a winter visit though. She got to see a bit of snow on our trip to Yosemite a year and a half ago, but it was warm out so it wasn't really like experiencing snow. So we've promised her the next visit to Ohio will be when it's cold and miserable - which I'm NOT looking forward to!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Here's the new engine for the Clipped Wing Cub, a Turnigy 26cc gasser. It wasn't my first choice for an engine until I saw it on Hobby King's US warehouse essentially at half-price. The regular price in the US warehouse is $222 and I ended up with it for about $120 shipped. At that price I couldn't resist. Quality appears very decent, it rotates nicely, etc. Spare parts availability will be a little tricky as Turnigy doesn't make this motor. It appears to be made by XYZ and there are sources for those parts online. Interestingly, the carb and muffler gaskets appear to be almost exactly the same as the Zenoah 20cc, so at worst I can use the Zenoah pieces as templates.

IMG_0555.JPG

Some new holes were drilled in my engine test stand and the 26cc is almost ready to test. Once the fuel tubing arrives it can be fired up.

IMG_0556.JPG

I'm adding a small tachometer to this engine as well.

IMG_0557.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The new Turnigy gasser is alive! I mixed up some 93 octane at 25:1 and started flipping the prop. I couldn't get it to draw gas until I used the starter and then it fired quickly and idled smoothly. It will take some time, but the plan is to run a gallon thru it before mounting it on the plane. The needles seem like they're set well, although it hasn't gone to wide open throttle yet.

BobK

Banned
Looks great, I really haven't paid much attention to the bigger gas motors, I am not sure I have ever seen one mounted like that with stand-offs, do they seem to hold it well?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think they're fairly common and seem to work well so far. The nice thing is that the carb sits behind the engine and not out the side of the cowl, so airflow will be important once it's mounted.

I did find out that tightening the standoff bolts to the firewall is important. After running for 10 seconds or so I noticed bolts were loose! Oops! A couple quick seconds and that was fixed. It could have gotten ugly quickly.

BobK

Banned
My concern were the bolts working loose, obviously a good spot for some loc-tite. It sure is nice and open as you said, nice.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Once it goes into the fuselage there will absolutely be Loc Tite involved! For now I'll keep checking bolts regularly. Interestingly, after about 10 minutes of running I've only gone through about 2 ounces of gas. It's mostly been idling and lower RPMs, but still, it's just sipping gas!