Sig Kadet Mk.1, Finishing a Classic with Spare Parts

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As we say in the software business, "That looks like a feature, not a bug" - It's better cooling for the motor this way :p

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Weather was "good enough" to take the Kadet out for a re-maiden today, after getting the new firewall and balance sorted out. I got to the field and it was windier than I'd like, but figured the Kadet is a bit of a pig and should be able to handle it.

I had a couple 2200's and a 3300 3 cell charged, and started with the heaviest just to make sure it's flying properly with the changes. Turns out it flies great now! It's still a flying pig and is grossly overweight, but the huge wing surface still lets me cruise easily at 1/2 throttle. Grass was a little shaggy so it needed full power to take-off, but absolutely no issues at all other than the motor being a bit noisy.

After the 3300 pack was used the big test was to see how a 2200 would work. Once again, perfectly well. All three batteries were used up, and due to the plane's weight and the motor draw I'm getting a quick 5 minute flight out of a 3 cell. The electronics will handle a 4 cell and I'm tempted to try one, but it's absolutely not needed. The new angle on the motor helped even out the flight characteristics, although there is still a tendency to climb under higher power levels. That may be due to the plane having a little up-elevator trim at 1/2 throttle, but I'm not going to worry about it any more. It's not a high-performance bird and is most comfortable just cruising lazy circuits around the field.

The new throws programmed into the transmitter also worked very well. Because of the winds today I left them on mid-rates for most of the flights, and switched to high-rates a few times just to screw around. Turns out a Kadet with a lot of dihedral can be convinced to fly inverted for short distances! :)

So thankfully the 3S 2200s work well, as I've got 6 or 7 of them and can quickly charge a stack of them before hitting the field. Now, unfortunately, it'll probably sit until Spring eventually gets here as it's heavier than I'd want for skis!

You might try a little throttle/elevator mix to get rid of the climbing. It's a workaround, but does work okay when used judiciously.

Edit: climbing with speed is also pretty typical of a flat bottom airfoil. The SIG wings were pretty darned good at lift!!

Last edited: