Help! Simple Cub powerpod with Powerpack C (did Flitetest send me an incomplete PowerPack??)

Douglas

I'm just building the powerpod and I'm already stuck!

In the build video, Josh uses a powerpack C even though the build calls for a powerpack B. Just like in the build video, however, I am using a Power Pack C.

In the video, Josh pulls out the Power Pack C. He show that it comes with a phillips head screw driver and a 1.5 milimeter screwdriver.

Problem #1: My powerpack did not come with a 1.5 milimeter screwdriver.

Next he instructs us how to install the "Adapter plate."

Problem #2: My powerpack did not come with an adapter plate.

His video also shows a chrome spinner, or whatever it's called, that will mount on the end of the prop shaft in front of the prop.

Problem #3: My powerpack did not come with a chrome spinner.

In the photo below you can see all the parts that arrived relating to the engine. Perhaps the Powerpack C has been updated since they made this video???

Another big complaint is that they didn't use any packing in the box they sent me. My box arrived partially crushed and the curved frame of the power pack pressed into my tail section, putting a deep dent into my tail section. Finally, a big piece is missing out of my foam board, and I'm hoping that's not a part I'll need but I assume it is. See photos below.

Problem #4: Will that dent in my tail effect the Simple Cub's performance, and is that empty space above my tail section indicative of a missing piece??

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
You did get everything with your motor. FT used to put 2 screwdrivers in their power packs, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. The 90 degree bent rod thingy is an Allen wrench that is used for the motor screws. For the prop nut, sometimes they are little spinners, but the nut that you have is the other version. As for the missing piece in the kit, I haven't built a simple cub so I'm not sure, but I don't know why a piece would be cut out if it isn't usable. Also, I remember Josh saying that he tried to fill all of the space on the foam on this kit, so I don't think that there would be extra space. A third thing is that FT keeps all of the scrap foam in kits(all of the extras that you get after popping out your parts), and they can be helpful during the build too.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

In the build video, Josh uses a powerpack C even though the build calls for a powerpack B. Just like in the build video, however, I am using a Power Pack C.

In the video, Josh pulls out the Power Pack C. He show that it comes with a phillips head screw driver and a 1.5 milimeter screwdriver.

His video also shows a chrome spinner, or whatever it's called, that will mount on the end of the prop shaft in front of the prop.

In the photo below you can see all the parts that arrived relating to the engine. Perhaps the Powerpack C has been updated since they made this video???

Another big complaint is that they didn't use any packing in the box they sent me. My box arrived partially crushed and the curved frame of the power pack pressed into my tail section, putting a deep dent into my tail section. Finally, a big piece is missing out of my foam board, and I'm hoping that's not a part I'll need but I assume it is. See photos below.

Problem #4: Will that dent in my tail effect the Simple Cub's performance, and is that empty space above my tail section indicative of a missing piece??

Problem #1: I do not recall if the new Power Pack Radials come with both drivers. Contact support@flitetest.com

Problem #2: That adapter plate was for the old EMAX style motor and is no longer required for the Radial motors.

Problem #3: That style prop nut (spinner) was for the old EMAX GT style motors and has been replaced with a nylon-insert lock nut for the Radial motors.

Problem #4: That dent is pretty significant and will probably cause some issues. Contact support@flitetest.com

When you contact FT support, post the image of the damaged foam panel. Be polite and considerate and they will take care of you.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just looked at the pictures for Power Pack C Radial edition here:
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-power-pack-c-radial-edition-flt-3061/p983487

And the picture seems to correspond with what I have in my pack. So perhaps I'm not missing anything...EXCEPT that missing piece in my foamboard. Can anyone tell me if that's a missing piece?

It looks like the area that they typically put the hardware pack (bbq swekers, velcro, firewall, control horns, push rods, etc.). Did you get one of those in your kit? Sometimes they can shift around in the kit during shipping and may not have stayed in the 'pocket.'

Flyingshark

Master member

View attachment 176328
View attachment 176329
For #1, my Power Pack C (bought last October) came with a little tiny allen wrench I didn't need (see mounting explanation) and a FT branded screwdriver.

Problem 2: Since the power pack has been updated since the build vid, there probably a couple different parts. It looks like you've got everything you need to attach the motor though. Use the short philips screws (flat end) to attach the x mount to the motor, then use the pointy-end philips screws to attach the x mount and the firewall. If the motor/x-mount connecting holes don't line up, rotate the mount 90 degrees. When you screw the x mount on to the firewall, the widest set of holes should fit the x mount.

Problem 3: I'll check if mine came with a little spinner tomorrow. Again, the electronics have changed, but you should still have enough parts to build the plane.

Problem 4: You have a couple options on dealing with that, but you probably should get a new tail somehow.
A) contact ft and get a replacement SBK
B) Trace the tail onto a new piece of dollar tree foam board (if you have one) and use the new tail instead.

Douglas

It looks like the area that they typically put the hardware pack (bbq swekers, velcro, firewall, control horns, push rods, etc.). Did you get one of those in your kit? Sometimes they can shift around in the kit during shipping and may not have stayed in the 'pocket.'
So you are saying the missing foamboard may have been intentional and I'm not missing anything there? I hope so!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So you are saying the missing foamboard may have been intentional and I'm not missing anything there? I hope so!
Yes, that is what I am saying. that cut out is a pocket for the hardware kit. Did you get a bag of parts in the kit with the bbq swekers, velcro, firewall, control horns, push rods, etc.? If so, you have everything.

PoorManRC

Master member
The new Power Packs cost more, and don't give you those nice drivers....
They DO have better Motors.

The Shipping damage to the Hstab is an issue! It won't fly long....
Like @SP0NZ said, contact Customer Service. FT has traditionally had great Service!
OR ~ You COULD trace the Hstab on a sheet of DTFB and go fly......

No matter WHAT - they really need to make some updates or new Videos on their older Designs. They're still relevant to a lot of people! 😉

Do they ever look at this Forum??

Rhaps

Elite member
Yes, that is what I am saying. that cut out is a pocket for the hardware kit. Did you get a bag of parts in the kit with the bbq swekers, velcro, firewall, control horns, push rods, etc.? If so, you have everything.
Yes that is indeed the case
1596560601334.png