Simple Quad

John Campbell

O M G......

Anyways, looking forward to the build, ordering parts this week hopefully. Does anyone have a layout of the frame? Like how long/thickness of the arms, how big should the HIP boards should be etc? Where do we get the stuff? Home Depot? I haven't found any of the HIP material yet.
Better yet...do a quick video on the frame build and it will be complete ;)
Thanks

Please don't tell me you are using your Cat... Or worse yet Your DOG!

I'm not sure where i should post this question so i'm just gonna ask it here.
I have a scratchbuilt quad that has emax 1600kv motors running 8x4 prop with 12A ESC on 2s. Do you think the setup will be able to power this frame http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24172__Q450_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm.html ?
Running on 3s isn't a problem i suppose.

And also, flitetest are you by any chance planning to review this new microquad http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ybird_Ultra_Micro_Quadcopter_RTF_Mode_2_.html. My gf is planning to buy it as my early xmas present!!!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Those frames are usually flown with a 3S (10X4.5" Props) or 4S (8X4.5" Props), 2212 920KV motors with either 18 or 30 amp esc's. The frame you linked is a V1. I would get a V2 which has an integrated PCB for ESC wiring as a bottom plate. Since I don't know the weight of your frame I cannot comment if your motor, esc, prop combo might work or not. If your esc's and motors will handle 3S then it is possible it might work but generally you want motors with a range of 750KV to 1100KV for multi-copters.

Thurmond

my scratchbuilt frame is about 400 to 500g inclusive of electronics. I tried 3s and it flew fine so I guess I can try this frame then.

Tritium

It should probably work. Once you get it put together if you can hover at half throttle and the power system components are not overly hot then all should be good.

Thurmond

SeanDuffy

Hey guys, great video, I'm glad you've done a video on building a quadcopter, I've been wanting one of theme from Flite Test for a while! :) The only thing, is that I'm looking to build a similar aircraft myself, but I'd like an approximate value of the length of the arms of the frame on this quad, just so that I can get everything in proportion right.

Tritium

Hey guys, great video, I'm glad you've done a video on building a quadcopter, I've been wanting one of theme from Flite Test for a while! :) The only thing, is that I'm looking to build a similar aircraft myself, but I'd like an approximate value of the length of the arms of the frame on this quad, just so that I can get everything in proportion right.

It appears that Josh and Josh used a 36" piece of poplar cut in half for each arm. Arms would be 18" long each then. Josh mentioned a 12" prop and if you look carefully in the video it looks like half the propeller (6") would span the arm about 3 times to prove out the 18" arm length assumption. If they are 18" each then that is a quite BIG frame. My commercial frame that uses 10" props has arms only 1/2 that length at 9". The sweet thing about a bigger frame is it is slower to react and therefore somewhat more stable.

Thurmond

I did the right thing buying the Walkera Ladybird didnt I?

And considering the price on Hk website is $130 right now, you guys'd better use my code. It's available for $93. Save close to $40 for a RTF microquad
Find my codes here: http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm/nguyentran (valid until June 28, 2012)

Walkera QR Ladybird Ultra Micro Quadcopter RTF (Mode 2) Save US$: 7.99
zoom.jpg

Motor w/Mount and Boom Complete (counter-clockwise rotation) - QR Ladybird Micro Quad Save US$: 2.96
zoom.jpg

Last edited:

dadi3

Simple Quad Scratch Build

Here is my version of simple quad, with some pictures of building frame
IMG_3227_1.jpg DSC01644.JPG DSC01647.JPG DSC01649.JPG DSC01653.JPG DSC01654.JPG DSC01655.JPG IMG_3260_1.jpg IMG_3262_1.jpg IMG_3265_1.jpg IMG_3270_1.jpg IMG_3271_1.jpg