Sizing ESC's

Hi all ~ I have a Bat Bone kit inbound, hoping to put together a V Tail as per David's build...but I have a question. He seems to be calling for motors that I can order...but ESC's that I can't find on the Hobbyking website. I will probably have to go with some other ESC.

On his list he calls for the Turnigy SK3 2822 - 1275kV motor. For ESC's, he calls for Multistar 15A...and I can't find those.

So here is my question: I read somewhere (it may have been the Hobbyking site) that the common practice for selecting ESC's is to go with the motor's max amperage draw and add 10% to select the proper ESC. The motors David is running have a max 8A in the specs. Why isn't he running a smaller amp ESC? Am I misunderstanding something here...?:confused:

Also, does anyone have any idea how to confirm shipping ETA's with Flitetest?

mikemacwillie

ESC current ratings can sometimes be a little optimistic. Oversizing them a bit if generally a good idea, and adds a bit of a safety margin. If the max draw of the motor is 8A, a 12A ESC should be plenty. I'd bet he went with the 15's either because it's what they had around, or because the cost difference between the 15A and a similar but lower current rated ESC was minimal.

JAG

Just go with 20a rated ESC's. Won't hurt to go larger, barley any size or weight difference and leaves room for upgrading. I put 20s on mine.