Sk450 Deadcat conversion/modding build

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
You will need to flash the latest version and type (fixed wing or multicopter) of Firmware on the MinimOSD as well as using the GUI to select what you see. All this requires the FTDI breakout board. There are some good how to videos on YouTube. I'll see if I can track down the one I used. I can't help you with hooking the OSD or power module to the MultiWii as I use the APM.

arsenalj

Thanks FGA, really appreciate the vid. No worries on the other stuff. The minimOSd is already to go for connecting with the MWii FC. You already answered what I needed for the other part. Thanks again, till next time...

arsenalj

Well I hope everyone is doing well. I am right there with this thing but I am getting frustrated. I have the minimosd flashed and config'd and the fc is ready to go. For the life of me I can not get my motors armed. Everything works in the Gui except for the arming of the quad. I tried doing the stick movement and I set it to a switch but it will not ARM either way. Everything is reading in the Gui and I just don't know what to do. I will have an update of progress as soon as I can get this thing all fired up. If any one can help me I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance till next time...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I have no MW experience but possibly check in the GUI that the throttle stick movements are getting to the minimum value. I've heard that can be an issue with motor arming in MW and Naze 32 setups. If the throttle input is not going lower than the min value it will think you still have throttle on and won't arm. Like I said, this is a stab in the dark and hopefully a MW expert will chime in.

arsenalj

Hey FGA, thank you for your response. I have checked that, the GUI says that min throttle is 1225, I set the throttle to reach just below that. All of my stick movements are between 1000 and 2000. I even tried it with the switch and it is also between 1000 and 2000. I wrote Paul as well but if any one else might know what is going on I would really appreciate the help. My frustration level is high right now just because it seems like everything is going smooth and then boom. I know it is the nature of the beast. I just really want to fly and can't wait to do so. I also tried to see if I had video with the Minimosd and of course no video. So I have to do some diagnostics on that as well. Again thanks FGA for your assistance. Till next time...

arsenalj

Update

Howdy Y'all,

Well I know it has been a week and a half since I had a proper update. Quick note I was able to get it armed finally, but am having troubles with the motors. Particularly L/F and R/R motors just dying off after throttle input. If isn't one thing it is another, lol. So on to the part you actually came here to see. I was able to get all the items installed. The reason it has taken this long is because the USPS sucks when you try and count on them. My receiver was supposed to be here last Friday. For some reason they sent my package to St. Paul, MN before they sent it to me here in Chicago land. Oh and it came from Michigan FYI.

So enough about me venting. As I said I was able to get all the electronics installed and mostly everything buttoned down for the last time. The wiring went pretty smooth, and I decided to just use one step down regulator for the headlights. I put both the rc switch and the reg in front of the FC so that they would be hidden under the middle plate. I used the headlight wiring to make it easy with the connections for the actual lights. I am pretty pleased although there is still a little tidying up to do. I will do that after all is said and done though. I installed the receiver in the back and the GPS at first until I realized for balancing purposes it needed to be up front. So I repositioned the video tx to the side instead of the front. Other than that the Minimosd stayed were I initially placed it along with the RGB light ring. Which is on the bottom directly under the FC. Once all the electronics had been installed I was able to lock down the middle plate and the top plate. Then my headlights were installed onto the front of the quad. LOL I call it the WALL-E deadcat. I like it actually, at first I was on the fence but now I am diggin it. So with out any further ado here is some eye candy for ya, enjoy. (hopefully)

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0292.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG

My work area looks like a Nuclear bomb went off. So before I get in the maiden I have to figure out the motor issues. I also got the video running, but of course there is a but, there is no overlay of the OSD on the video. Weird, it sends the video to the camera with no overlay? Well those two things I will be working on, when they are finished and everything is trust worthy I will have the Maiden for you and I promise it will be a lot better than my anyquad maiden lol. Well Lady's and Gents till next time...

P.s. if you happen to know of anything for the issues I'm having feel free to leave a comment. :D

DDSFlyer

You weren't joking about those Headlights!!! Those are pretty big lights! Too bad you don't have the big antenna to make it really functional and bug looking...hehe

arsenalj

Update

Hey guys,

So good news the quad is going to fly tomorrow, yeah!!!! I have video which is good, but the OSD isn't overlaying any info onto the video. Weird, I hope I can figure this out. I heard something about being able to switch it off and on. Hopefully I can figure it out, I am really stoked to have all theses features. I would just like to be able to use them, LOL. So for the motor issue I ended up recalibrating the motors, so I had to pull it all apart again. once I did that motors purr evenly all around. It is a beautiful thing to hear.

IMG_0295.JPG WALL-E shrunk.jpg

I think they look alike, hahaha!!!!

Well I hope y'all have a great week, till next time...

arsenalj

Maiden

Hey Guys,

Well I am sorry for not getting this up sooner. Thursday and Friday I didn't get home till after 10pm and today was super windy. I decided to fly it in my common driveway at night. It is in between my home and three other houses. The wind was blowing over 20 mph today and gusting even higher, I thought maybe it might calm down at night time but nope. The first few seconds I land because wind got under it and I was just making sure I would be ok. She needs to be fine tuned of course but I have to say she flies pretty good. Before I go any further I need to warn you that my wife decided to be funny and put her face in front of the cam at approximately the 2:00 minute mark. One other note when I land around the end I am checking angle mode and I can only get about a half inch off the ground as you will see. I figured angle mode was pretty obsolete but I was just making sure. Horizon works well but it all needs to be trimmed out still. Just waiting on some good weather to come in. Which doesn't look like it till Tuesday. Thunderstorms and rain for next 2 days with possible snow on Monday, Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!! I hate Mother Nature sometimes, LOL. Well with out further adieu here is the vid.

Hope you guys like, till next time.

P.S. hopefully I can get her all setup by the end of the week and have some FPV vids up with her for you guys.

DDSFlyer

Man those headlights are BRIGHT!!!!! That's awesome, glad you were able to get some stick time on her. Looking good!

arsenalj

New Video

Well I was able to get some decent flight time late this afternoon early evening time. It was awesome to be able to get out and fly. She is all trimmed out, now I need to do some fine tuning of the pid values. Hope you guys like and I am really happy with her. I get about 10 to 11 minute flight times on a 4s 4500mah battery.

Well guys hope you liked this build and can't wait for the next one. I have a Blackout mini H up next and then a fortis titan build I want to do. Till next time...

DDSFlyer

great flying. glad you are able to get it outside and up in some space. Looks like you've get it really stable and flying good. Enjoy! I hope to come back to this thread when I end up building my dead cat in the future. I'm going anycopter hex first though.