Skill level to fly FT spear?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So my next step would probably be building a plane with a kfm airfoil (not a wing) like the previous one we were discussing yesterday learn of that, then build a smaller plane that uses elevons like a t22, and THEN move on to the spear. I think it's better that way because like you said it is pretty hard to watch all your work go down like that. So its better to get some practice this way, let me know if this would be an ideal plan, appreciate the response and help.
Really with FB its easy to build and fix quick and dirty and still have fun flying. If you purchase say an ARF. BNF, PNP kinda model that cost you $300 you had to save up for... put an FC in that for insurance. But learn to fly man, you will appreciate it so much more later

Really with FB its easy to build and fix quick and dirty and still have fun flying. If you purchase say an ARF. BNF, PNP kinda model that cost you $300 you had to save up for... put an FC in that for insurance. But learn to fly man, you will appreciate it so much more later
I agree my apprentice was over 300, and I'm only 14 so I do not want to spend too much money like that and then they go down due to poor skills.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Other then the Sport Cub S as my first plane a year and a half ago, all my planes have been FB, and no FC. And I am 45, and a cheapskate lol

I think every one needs to be beat up for their lunch money at least once to know how to deal with it, just an analogy of course. But the dings make you a better pilot. This instant gratification of the easy button with a FC takes the skill out of the hobby. I wish FT would not push the Aura 5 so much just for the sake of skill development, but they need to pay the bills too right

Other then the Sport Cub S as my first plane a year and a half ago, all my planes have been FB, and no FC. And I am 45, and a cheapskate lol

I think every one needs to be beat up for their lunch money at least once to know how to deal with it, just an analogy of course. But the dings make you a better pilot. This instant gratification of the easy button with a FC takes the skill out of the hobby. I wish FT would not push the Aura 5 so much just for the sake of skill development, but they need to pay the bills too right
I understand, but that is also another cool thing you can do, flying skills are really important but another project linked to this is a fully autonomous long range plane that you can program using ardupilot compatible FC. Its another thing in itself but I agree that flying by yourself is really important. but my point is it's also a cool thing to program an autonomous plane!

1600878270438.png 1600878296603.png this is how 1/2 of my kfm2 airfoil looks, its good wood reinforcement, I built another on but that was for stress testing and held up really well. some sanding on the trailing edge will fix it up.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I understand, but that is also another cool thing you can do, flying skills are really important but another project linked to this is a fully autonomous long range plane that you can program using ardupilot compatible FC. Its another thing in itself but I agree that flying by yourself is really important. but my point is it's also a cool thing to program an autonomous plane!
Trust me as of late I have been looking into FC's, but not to teach me to fly. I want ti to stabilize a camera platform for filming and FPV. Now its a tool. Not a crutch. There is a difference like you know already. I just find it to easy for someone to toss a FC into anything and call themselves a pilot.

I would also like to do autonomous stuff some day as well. When it comes to that i will be using something along the lines of Ardupilot or the ZOHD controllers with GPS. That is just cooler then iceburgs for sure, totally agree.

basslord1124

Master member
Here's my experience, and I consider myself a n00b to wings...

First off, I have zero experience with the Spear BUT I have built a KFM wing. If you search around the forums here you'll find all kinds of info on the KFM wing. It doesn't fold over like traditional FT wings, it is actually sheets of foamboard stacked on top of each other. It's an extremely durable wing (trust me I've beat mine good and so far it's only got a slightly crumpled nose). I'd recommend the KFM first before a Spear, only b/c they are quick to build and can take a good bit of abuse.

As for flight, the trickiest parts are getting the balance right (not just your front to back balance, but even your right to left side balance) AND getting the feel of launching the wing. I still have some slight lateral balance issues with mine, but it's much more manageable than what it used to be. Once it's in the air, it's actually pretty simple to fly. It has your typical bank and yank characteristics where you can do all your controls with your right hand...and then just your throttle on your left.

Here is a video of my first ever experience with a flying wing...you can see it took quite a few attempts to finally get it airborne.

I actually flown it again here recently after some tweaks and will have video pretty soon on it. This time it stayed up on my first launch. Still rolled a little to one side, but not too bad. Hope this helps.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Here's my two cents on this topic: As someone very experienced in flying RC planes (Ive built most every FT model) I would say it is less about the plane and more about how you set it up... Now Im definitely not saying the spear is a good first plane if set up correctly, thats pretty obvious. I would definitely put one or two planes in between you as a total novice and the FT Spear, one of which hopefully will be flown totally bank n yank. Understanding bank n yank flight is important, but thankfully it is pretty basic. The complication that arises as beginners get into wings isn't necessarily the control, it is the speed. Everything happens so fast it takes much longer to react. I would practice keeping orientation and control of a slower plane, I like the FT Simple Scout if you are looking for recommendations, then that will help you become a well versed pilot who will be ready to step into the speed demons down the road. I would also look into a conservative power system. Most run the Spear on a Power Pack C with a 9 inch prop, but as a beginner it would be a good idea to get a power pack B, keep the speed down at first. Then you can upgrade later when you get more comfortable with the aircraft. Either that or get a PPC and just use a 7-8 inch slow fly prop at first, then upgrade to a high pitch 9 inch prop as you get better. Also, wings are especially touchy aircraft to fly, so start with SUPER LOW rates. besides speed, most beginner wing crashes Ive seen are because the rates are jacked up way too high. You dont need to do snap rolls or tight loops yet, that will come later. Either way, you can achieve this! It just doesn't happen over night. Good news is that the planes you will learn and improve on are still very fun to fly :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am a fairly new pilot, I wanted to know when is the right time to fly the FT spear. In your opinion what is the skill level required to fly it?
Flying wings are very sensitive to the proper setup. Once you have them setup, they can be very docile. If the CG, trim and throws are off, they are a handful to keep in the air. It would be helpful if you can have an experienced pilot do the maiden and get it trimmed out.

Trainer planes can be a lot of fun. Start by increasing the throws, you will discover a whole new plane. Next move the CG aft, 1/4 inch at a time. Most trainers are setup with the CG @ 25% of the average wing cord, I prefer the CG @ 30%. Increasing the throws & moving the CG aft will introduce instability into your "trainer". Find the amount of instability you prefer, some like a little some like a lot.

When you can fly your trainer inverted across the field, you are ready to move on to almost any plane.