• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

slope soaring

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
There are a lot of things to learn. If you can reach out to an experienced person locally it will help out a lot. I happen to live not far from alofthobbies and the owner took a day off work and took me slope soaring.

bracesport

@thenated0g - I have this hot liner that I have never flown (too scared as rated at 200kph), and I built my own V tail with a FB wing - also never flown yet - as you see I need to start slow with my DL(TT)G and FB DLG first!

You can see the long term potential though!

7B45BA20-03FC-4535-AF67-79ED93C7F56D.jpeg 1BD6AF3E-8180-451A-BE4F-2D08568BDCE4.jpeg

thenated0g

Mentor
YES! it is my goal to get a "noisy" slope soarer like that. When they get movin the sound they make as they cut thru the air is amazing. I was asking Wayne (aloft owner) what he thought would be a good first "glass" (fiberglass) plane. He said i should bring some money with me to a slope soaring event as people are always getting rid of old stuff for good deals.

personally i like flying EPP kits or diy white foam kits. My goto sloper right now is my F-sst epp slope wing. It can take the hits and is easy to fly, but needs like 12+ mph winds.
http://instagr.am/p/BuAKJHmn1v8/
I have about 7 slope ships to maiden at an event in may. DIY stuff i have been working on and the FT corsair i setup for sloping.

mayan

YES! it is my goal to get a "noisy" slope soarer like that. When they get movin the sound they make as they cut thru the air is amazing. I was asking Wayne (aloft owner) what he thought would be a good first "glass" (fiberglass) plane. He said i should bring some money with me to a slope soaring event as people are always getting rid of old stuff for good deals.

personally i like flying EPP kits or diy white foam kits. My goto sloper right now is my F-sst epp slope wing. It can take the hits and is easy to fly, but needs like 12+ mph winds.
http://instagr.am/p/BuAKJHmn1v8/
I have about 7 slope ships to maiden at an event in may. DIY stuff i have been working on and the FT corsair i setup for sloping.
That’s not even a hill! How? What? Amazing flying!

thenated0g

Mentor
The amount of lift going upwards off the face of whatever your sloping is a combination of a few things. Mainly the wind speed and the height of your "hill". You could have a 10 mile an hour wind hitting a hundred foot cliff and all that wind is basically adding onto all the wind on the whole face and you would have amazing lift at the top. In this case i had about 10ft or so of height from the water to where i was but the wind was 25mph with some gusts up to 30mph.

Rule 1 of slope soaring: If you build a glider, there will be no wind ever again.
Corollary 1 to Rule 1: When you finally get wind, it will be too much wind.

lol, thats from the first link below. so true.

This is a good read: https://www.shallowsky.com/planes/weasel/slopetips.html
this too: http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/slope.html
slope soaring without mountains: http://www.ov-10bronco.net/users/merlin/Flight/slopesoar.htm

slope specific maps: https://www.slople.com/
this is a nice place as well, look for people flying in your area. Slope people love talking about favorite spots: https://www.rcgroups.com/slope-97/

bracesport

I don't know what I was expecting today, but today was the day - I headed up the hill close to where I live with my DL(TT)G and my powered TT determined to give it a go on a slope - it was amazing!

the back story so far - I am not a competent pilot and I have only flown two or three times on calm days with a prop - I can keep the plane in the air for a bit and usually land without too much damage - I have struggled to have the confidence to go high so my flights have generally been short ones!

now to the good stuff - I did it, I actually did - I wouldn't call it slope-soaring just yet, but I had some short flights with some decent lift. I can see the potential for me with this kind of flying (very exhilarating)!

the DL(TT)G seemed to be well balanced and reasonably manoeuvrable with the bank and yank control surfaces - the light breeze was a bit gusty, and when it was blowing nicely I had some awesome lift but no forward penetration.

the TT flew easily into the breeze and I finally got some elevation and distance (if the camera was actually 'ON' the video would have been a good one) - seems I damaged the wing at the centre dihedral on a heavy landing into a bush so I packed it in for the day and headed home.

I am a bit embarrassed to post the video from today - it was the first outing with my new cyclops v3 onboard and I had a few technical glitches - most of the time it was 'ON' when I was on the ground and 'OFF' when I was flying - I did get a few grabs of my test flights so that is all that I could put in the video!

mayan

I don't know what I was expecting today, but today was the day - I headed up the hill close to where I live with my DL(TT)G and my powered TT determined to give it a go on a slope - it was amazing!

the back story so far - I am not a competent pilot and I have only flown two or three times on calm days with a prop - I can keep the plane in the air for a bit and usually land without too much damage - I have struggled to have the confidence to go high so my flights have generally been short ones!

now to the good stuff - I did it, I actually did - I wouldn't call it slope-soaring just yet, but I had some short flights with some decent lift. I can see the potential for me with this kind of flying (very exhilarating)!

the DL(TT)G seemed to be well balanced and reasonably manoeuvrable with the bank and yank control surfaces - the light breeze was a bit gusty, and when it was blowing nicely I had some awesome lift but no forward penetration.

the TT flew easily into the breeze and I finally got some elevation and distance (if the camera was actually 'ON' the video would have been a good one) - seems I damaged the wing at the centre dihedral on a heavy landing into a bush so I packed it in for the day and headed home.

I am a bit embarrassed to post the video from today - it was the first outing with my new cyclops v3 onboard and I had a few technical glitches - most of the time it was 'ON' when I was on the ground and 'OFF' when I was flying - I did get a few grabs of my test flights so that is all that I could put in the video!

I haven’t watched the video yet but I have to stop and say congrats on the guys my friend. Now let’s watch that video.

mayan

Ok now after watching the video I think you should try going up with a motor in that exact spot with the Simple scout. It will fly there perfectly fine :). My thought.

bracesport

@mayan - The powered TT went up well and flew into the breeze quite nicely, it's such a shame I didn't have the camera on as it was one of my longest flights and at one point I had the power off and it was floating in the breeze - I had a bit more fun than flying on the park!

It's still a long way to go!

IMG_6171.JPG