Slow And Steady Wins The Racer!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Built one a while ago using Westboard foamboard so it heavier but it flies like it's on rails.
Didn't want to do the Planes© version so added pop bottle 'glass' and a too small 3D printed pilot.
IMG_20190305_180722409.jpg IMG_20190305_180751091.jpg IMG_20190305_180700527.jpg IMG_20190305_180638346.jpg

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hmm, good question. I was gonna do stock, but how do you think it would do without dihedral? Are you going to skip it too?
I know @Sero said he doesn't do any on his, and he has made a couple of them, he actually suggested not to do it. I think the dihedral looks cool like a warbird, but having a swept wing kinda acts like dihedral. If I do it might be half of what's stock at max. I would like to beef up the spar and this is done easiest without it. If you were gonna use 4s on it, I would suggest to beef it up in the spar and no dihedral. Actually the under camber in the tips will create the most lift so there is even more reason it's not needed

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I know @Sero said he doesn't do any on his, and he has made a couple of them, he actually suggested not to do it. I think the dihedral looks cool like a warbird, but having a swept wing kinda acts like dihedral. If I do it might be half of what's stock at max. I would like to beef up the spar and this is done easiest without it. If you were gonna use 4s on it, I would suggest to beef it up in the spar and no dihedral. Actually the under camber in the tips will create the most lift so there is even more reason it's not needed
Ok, sounds good. I’ll eliminate the dihedral and do a big beefy spar!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Haven't crashed this one yet!!! I've since added some iron-on laminate film to the nose so when I land in the muddy winter field the muck just wipes off :)
Smart lady. I might do removable landing gear like I use on the FT-3D. but I will be covering the bottom and the underside of the nose in packing tape after the paint

Sero

Elite member
Looking good guys!

I can't handle dihedral in high wing planes, it just feels weird to me. On low wing planes its fine. I believe that's to do with the fact that I didn't learn to fly RC on a trainer plane (first plane was the Bloody baron, then the Sportster) and went straight to 4 channel. I also can't stand 3 channel, I can do it it just feels weird and like I don't have full control. I did a lot of stick time in the simulator before any real flying.

So my point here is I'm a bit odd with dihedral, and I don't want you to have a bad experience because of what I did. That being said I bet you guys would be fine.

I eliminated it in my last build because I felt it would suit me fine and I wanted to be sure to eliminate dutch roll that I have experienced with this plane, but adding directional stability (ventral fin and dorsal extension) would probably be all I needed.I have noticed the plane doesn't track as straight with roll so constant adjustment are needed when flying straight.

It is easy to add some dihedral with an aluminum spar if you use Nerdnics technique. If you do keep the dihedral I probably would reduce it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Have you flown anything with it yet, the Mustang maybe?
I’ve used it in the bushwacker, Spitfire, and ft-3D. The spitfire was really where it shone - doing the low high speed passes (inverted too!). The battery is good, especially considering the price. There is one cell that is often slightly less charged (0.05 V) than the others, but when charging it’ll go back up to the 4.20 volts like the rest of the cells. That might have been a result of a pretty nasty crash I had with it though...