Slow And Steady Wins The Racer!!

Sero

Elite member
@BATTLEAXE I checked out the @Sero 's racer build that @BS projects inc. posted and I was thinking it would be cool to do a speed wing! I already got the wings cut out, but that shouldn't matter, right? I just peel the paper off the inside and then fold over, correct?

Generally when I build a speed wing I extend the bottom skin foam so that it meets at the trailing edge where on FT plans only the top skin is. (hope that makes sense...:rolleyes:) Also the speed wing doesn't have the cambered FT tips. If the wings are cut already you can always iron the trailing edges and enclose the wing tips after. If you re-enforce the spar you could taper the foam spar so that the wing has a more consistent airfoil as the wing tapers towards the wingtips, essentiall making the wing thinner towards the tips. All of those steps will help out aerodynamics a fair bit.

Check out @nerdnic speedwing videos, lots of great ideas there.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Generally when I build a speed wing I extend the bottom skin foam so that it meets at the trailing edge where on FT plans only the top skin is. (hope that makes sense...:rolleyes:) Also the speed wing doesn't have the cambered FT tips. If the wings are cut already you can always iron the trailing edges and enclose the wing tips after. If you re-enforce the spar you could taper the foam spar so that the wing has a more consistent airfoil as the wing tapers towards the wingtips, essentiall making the wing thinner towards the tips. All of those steps will help out aerodynamics a fair bit.

Check out @nerdnic speedwing videos, lots of great ideas there.
Ok, that makes sense. However I already cut the wing out. I'll watch the vid, thanks!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wing installed...
20200117_160918.jpg

Came together nice to. All is square, straight and solid. I was gonna use the original servo locations but all I had for servo extensions was 9", so I might bring them a bit more inboard to the inside of the aileron to get the extra inches. I think I will do the tail servos installed up near the cockpit instead of right at the end of the tail. Two reasons for this, no extensions and will allow for a more nose heavy airframe. The build vid shows the guys putting a 2200 butted up against the front of the wing to get it to balance, which means the battery is shoved in between the wing and the firewall. I am thinking I would like a little more play room to dial it in

Sero

Elite member
Wing installed... View attachment 154995
Came together nice to. All is square, straight and solid. I was gonna use the original servo locations but all I had for servo extensions was 9", so I might bring them a bit more inboard to the inside of the aileron to get the extra inches. I think I will do the tail servos installed up near the cockpit instead of right at the end of the tail. Two reasons for this, no extensions and will allow for a more nose heavy airframe. The build vid shows the guys putting a 2200 butted up against the front of the wing to get it to balance, which means the battery is shoved in between the wing and the firewall. I am thinking I would like a little more play room to dial it in
Looking good!

And yes to the servo replacement, my stock Racer had the battery all the way forward to get good CG. Mind you I believe your running a 3536 motor and the extra weight of that will help keep the nose heavy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking good!

And yes to the servo replacement, my stock Racer had the battery all the way forward to get good CG. Mind you I believe your running a 3536 motor and the extra weight of that will help keep the nose heavy.
All true, I am usually a fan of doing the servos in the tail but I think this way I can do a pull to positive for the elevator a little easier since the Hstab is sunk 3/4" below the top of the fuse, I can mount the servos back to back in the battery tray over top of the ESC, which should leave lots of room and access to the Rx. It all works in my head any way

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got the tail feathers on
20200117_223057.jpg

Aileron servos are installed as well.
20200117_223118.jpg

This thing is starting to look pretty speedy so far, the leaned back Vstab/rudder give it a nice aerodynamic profile. @Sero does this ventral fin look similar to yours? I might leave out the dorsal fin, don't think this will go as fast as yours, and if I want it to I will build a serious Racer.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Next is back to the nose with the battery tray and the profile under the nose. Still trying to figure out how I am goin to do the front turtle deck and hatch, that will dictate how the cockpit and rear turtle deck will go.