Help! Slow flying

SNOW6CAT

Hi! I was wondering what flite test plane I can build that would be best for flying in small spaces with a power pack C. Any help is much appreciated!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Try a simple scout, maybe with flaperons if you want to get fancy, build light and it will fly at a walking pace. It is also a lot of fun for practicing landing and takeoffs.
Another good one is the sportster.
Those are the only slow-fly c-pack planes I have built, so I can’t really comment on any others.
I’m generally more of a speed demon.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
The Simple Scout is a nice flying plane. I've been flying mine for about a year and a half now, and long ago lost count of the number of flights I have on her. She'll fly pretty darn slow, and will turn a fairly tight circle. The Scout was my first ever Flite Test build, and I've said several times lately, when I finally wear her out (or beat her to death), I'll build another. It really is a great plane.

Hoomi

Master member
Ive been wondering this for a while can the simple scout fly on pack c?
I'm pretty sure the motor I have in mine is about the equivalent of a 'C' pack. I'm flying on 1300 mAh 3S power, and a five minute timer on the flight leaves me with ample battery for an extra go around or two (or three). The caveat is, with a more powerful motor, don't go full throttle for take-off, as the torque-roll can be pretty excessive.

It's a lot easier to hold back the power on a larger than needed motor, than to try and coax more power out of a smaller motor that's already pushing its limit.

RossFPV

I'm pretty sure the motor I have in mine is about the equivalent of a 'C' pack. I'm flying on 1300 mAh 3S power, and a five minute timer on the flight leaves me with ample battery for an extra go around or two (or three). The caveat is, with a more powerful motor, don't go full throttle for take-off, as the torque-roll can be pretty excessive.

It's a lot easier to hold back the power on a larger than needed motor, than to try and coax more power out of a smaller motor that's already pushing its limit.
Do you know what kv the motor is? Thats how most or all motors are measured i think.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Do you know what kv the motor is? Thats how most or all motors are measured i think.
Actually that is only the measure of the speed of the motor. Kv is rpm per volt, so a 2200 kv motor on 1 volt would probably do around 2200 rpm. The other measure is for size, and that is all of the numbers before the kv, like 2204 or 2218. The first number is width and the other is height I think. Also for size measurements some brands measure the actual motor dimensions, while others measure the stator, so 2 2218 motors from different brands can be different sizes, and a motor with larger measurements might actually be smaller. For example, I have a 2218 motor from Emax and a 2826 from NTM. The NTM's measurements are bigger, but the Emax motor is actually larger and it is probably more powerful. Sadly there is no standard for where to measure from, so you just gotta be careful and do proper research before buying.

daxian

Elite member
i built a 150% mini scout (about the same size as the simple scout ) with the under cambered wing of the original and flew it on the turnigy 2730 1300kv and still fly 's well after 4 years ...

Actually that is only the measure of the speed of the motor. Kv is rpm per volt, so a 2200 kv motor on 1 volt would probably do around 2200 rpm. The other measure is for size, and that is all of the numbers before the kv, like 2204 or 2218. The first number is width and the other is height I think. Also for size measurements some brands measure the actual motor dimensions, while others measure the stator, so 2 2218 motors from different brands can be different sizes, and a motor with larger measurements might actually be smaller. For example, I have a 2218 motor from Emax and a 2826 from NTM. The NTM's measurements are bigger, but the Emax motor is actually larger and it is probably more powerful. Sadly there is no standard for where to measure from, so you just gotta be careful and do proper research before buying.
Hey @Ketchup, thanks. That's probably the first "tech lesson" I've heard here in a while that didn't sound like it was coming from somebody who's trying really hard to make everyone think he's a tech genius. ;)

I think if you want a slow flyer with the power pack C i'd suggest a FT Explorer. It's also capable with the B pack but with the C it's better in the wind where as the B wouldn't be able to do that.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I think if you want a slow flyer with the power pack C i'd suggest a FT Explorer. It's also capable with the B pack but with the C it's better in the wind where as the B wouldn't be able to do that.

That's not a bad suggestion. I'd throw in the Bushwacker as well; put flaps on it and it'll slow down nicely with that power Pack C. You could even throw it on a Versa Wing and pick up on some thermals, gliding on updrafts if you find the right spots in slow flight. Being that they're pretty much all surface area, they'll fly pretty slow with fair amounts of lift, AND they have the bonus of fitting easily into a car. I've stacked 3 of them, my P-38, a UMX Timber (in the box), my P-51 Master Series, a quadcopter, AND my backpack with charger, radio, FPV gear, etc. into the back of my Mini Countryman. :)

You could also build a Nutball as a slow flyer, but they aren't the best at control, being just rudder and elevator; while they're fun to fly (and fly really slow) it can be kinda squirrelly.