Sonic Series | nnP-39

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
hm I dont get it. I cant see the pictures in my own post. but I guess as long as you guys can see it its fine ^^

I don't see you photos in the post. I followed your link and snagged a screen shot. :)

Are you using the "insert image" icon in the tool bar and uploading from your computer? Photos need to be around ~2 MB or less to be accepted. Link photos doesn't function well in my experience.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That came out really nice!

I am working on a v2 as well as an 800 Series nnP-39. Anyone interested?

800 series definitely. I'm really enjoying the spitfire and the size means I can easily take it out and store it. I'm a bit reluctant to have any more 40"+ models as I don't really have the space.

Also if I have another 800 series model I can justify getting a silly power train for them ��

xMeox

What are the key differences of the v2 compared to the old one? My dad ordered a second one after he grounded his current one and if there are massive changes I might wait for the new design :)

Im really impressed how durable this design is. I grounded mine a few times too, but never like my dad did last week. He did an inverted low pass flight on full throttle. He didnt pay attention and pulled the plane right in the ground instead of pushing her up. Surprisingly the only thing that I had to rebuild was the power pod. The nose was damaged but only needed glue and no new material. Wings (fb spear) and every thing else was just fine. Seeing this crash Im really not sure if it is even possible to fully destroy this bird other than going full speed downwards in the ground onto something really really hard :)

Last edited:

xMeox

Never mind. Built one for my father last week and he painted her today. This are the results :)

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Looks great! For the v2 it will have all the new features of the full size. Updated wing, better hatch, more scale canopy, exhaust stacks.

I'm glad you're enjoying the design and its durability :)

Here's mine

20170514_162006_resized.jpg

20170514_164801_resized.jpg

There maiden didn't go so well. Even on the minimum throws it was a bit too twitchy but I also had the CG a bit far back - I thought I had it in the right place but the plane was super twitchy.

I broke the tail off but I taped it on and persisted and got a good flight out of it.

Unfortunately something happened, possibly the tail coming loose and it went into a high speed spiral and crash landed.

I fixed it back up and touched up the paint though. I'll give it another go when I get a chance this week.

This is how she is now. The paint covers up the repairs quite well :)

20170514_215426_resized.jpg

arhif

Cant wait 800 series nnp39. Its an amazing day, today. In the morning, flying my nnp39 (but i droped it on the ground). My nnP39 have an issue, she is easy to spin on a low speed while turning. Makes it hard to control. Last time i try to turn it with low altitude and slow speed, of course it spin, then baaam, she hit the ground. Id like to go faster, cant wait anymore for the 800 series nnP 39. Thanks nic, you really inspire me.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Here's mine

View attachment 87603

View attachment 87604

There maiden didn't go so well. Even on the minimum throws it was a bit too twitchy but I also had the CG a bit far back - I thought I had it in the right place but the plane was super twitchy.

I broke the tail off but I taped it on and persisted and got a good flight out of it.

Unfortunately something happened, possibly the tail coming loose and it went into a high speed spiral and crash landed.

I fixed it back up and touched up the paint though. I'll give it another go when I get a chance this week.

This is how she is now. The paint covers up the repairs quite well :)

View attachment 87605

After you fixed the CG was it still too twitchy? This plane is definitely the most finicky of any that I've designed. The smaller size makes it much less forgiving on build mistakes and control surface adjustments. I'm hoping the v2 will be a little more easy to manage, but we'll see.

Cant wait 800 series nnp39. Its an amazing day, today. In the morning, flying my nnp39 (but i droped it on the ground). My nnP39 have an issue, she is easy to spin on a low speed while turning. Makes it hard to control. Last time i try to turn it with low altitude and slow speed, of course it spin, then baaam, she hit the ground. Id like to go faster, cant wait anymore for the 800 series nnP 39. Thanks nic, you really inspire me.

The 800 series is going to be a fun little size. I'm working on the sonic series and 800 v2 to be released at the same time. Tip stalls on this design can be nasty. Out of all the planes I've designed the nnP-39 is the most likely to tip stall.

Double check your CG and make sure to keep your speed when you drop a wing to do a banked turn and you should be okay though. Try to avoid letting off throttle as you enter a banked turn, you'll lose speed in the bank so keep a steady throttle or even increase slightly as you make the turn, this will keep you from a sudden spiral.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
The motor?, build light and it will fly. The battery?, good luck with one that big. I used an 800mah 3s in mine, with one that big and a slightly undersized motor, it would have trouble even staying in the air, and even if it did fly it would probably be very sluggish, and easy to stall.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah the battery will be too big. It won’t fit in the fuse and it would be much too heavy anyway. I’ve not flown with an 1806 on this plane before so I can’t comment on that, but on paper it sounds underpowered.

Do you have any other electronics you can use?

andrej

what could be the reason, the elevator is ineffective. It works, but there is no sharp response. Although the steering wheel deviates to the limit, the biggest rates. but the ailerons are very nimble, I had to limit rates.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Could your center of gravity be incorrect? If you aren't getting much out of your elevator, maybe your plane is nose heavy.