Sonic Series | nnP-39

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I wish I had the honor of meeting you at F.F 2015 are you coming to flight fest in the west next year or not.
Your the best
-Airhawk

Hell2Go

Wow! If you do this make sure you grab video! Physically I don't think the 3536 will fit in the nose, so you'll have to make some adjustments. The fuse was built around the dimensions of the 850mah 45-90c 4s nano lipo so you'll have that as a width limitation too. The 3536 1800 pulls over 70a with a 4s so you're gonna need a hefty battery stuffed in there :)

Post some links to the other motors though, I wanna check them out.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._Brushless_Inrunner_2700kv.html?strSearch=b36

this is one that I found, might fit the full size nnP-39 a little better especially at 260g!

Hell2Go

this might fit the sonic series a little better, I wonder how it would compare to the FF motor, it is recommended to use with a 4.75x4.75 and a 40-50 amp esc for about 400watts, they say a 6x4 pulls 450watts but gets too hot

4.75x4.75 on 4s calculates to 170mph!

Have you figured out that we have an unquenchable NEED FOR SPEED?!?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You didn't link the second motor but it sounds similar. The FF motor is also 400w and pitch speed is 170 with the 5.25x6.25 prop.

Hell2Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9b542RlZsI

Multiplex Funjet Ultra, C3514-2980 Brushless Motor, Multiplex 70amp esc, Turnigy 3 cell 3600 30 to 40c, 6 x 5.5 prop. Fastest speed recorded at 164mph

I been looking at motor setups for fast Funjets, this looks like the himax motor for about $60.00, something comparable should get us there...

Hell2Go

I did the glue up on our SS nnp-39 wings today, only 1 blistered finger!!! I taped the wings first, glued, then used my monokote iron to smooth and flatten the edges... TE is a sharp edge, ( and sharpened the tail feathers LE and TE... ) should slide thru the air with ease! Mine is White and blue, and Spencer's is yellow and black... I'll post some picks tomorrow. I am really liking your speed wing design. For these really high speed versions, I was thinking of extending the aluminum spar further out towards the tip by grinding a taper on the top edge at the tips to fit in the wing. I noticed on my nnMig3 there are stress wrinkles at the ends of the spar from pulling some really high G's, maybe it was your flying it at FF 2015 that started it, as that was my inspiration to fly it faster :), I'm sure with the stock FF setup it will be fine, but for future builds with crazy power and weight it will be necessary.

Are you planning a mid sized (800-900mm) version of the nnP-39? something I could squeeze a 6s into and a 35 series motor for some serious power?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9b542RlZsI

Multiplex Funjet Ultra, C3514-2980 Brushless Motor, Multiplex 70amp esc, Turnigy 3 cell 3600 30 to 40c, 6 x 5.5 prop. Fastest speed recorded at 164mph

I been looking at motor setups for fast Funjets, this looks like the himax motor for about $60.00, something comparable should get us there...

Yeah these are just too big for the Sonic Series, with the FF motor and 850 4s the wing loading is already at 16. You can't get too much more weight in it without making it unflyable.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I did the glue up on our SS nnp-39 wings today, only 1 blistered finger!!! I taped the wings first, glued, then used my monokote iron to smooth and flatten the edges... TE is a sharp edge, ( and sharpened the tail feathers LE and TE... ) should slide thru the air with ease! Mine is White and blue, and Spencer's is yellow and black... I'll post some picks tomorrow. I am really liking your speed wing design. For these really high speed versions, I was thinking of extending the aluminum spar further out towards the tip by grinding a taper on the top edge at the tips to fit in the wing. I noticed on my nnMig3 there are stress wrinkles at the ends of the spar from pulling some really high G's, maybe it was your flying it at FF 2015 that started it, as that was my inspiration to fly it faster :), I'm sure with the stock FF setup it will be fine, but for future builds with crazy power and weight it will be necessary.

Are you planning a mid sized (800-900mm) version of the nnP-39? something I could squeeze a 6s into and a 35 series motor for some serious power?

You could definitely extend out the aluminum. So far I've not gotten any stress marks on mine as the v2 speedwing is more solid. The original speedwing on the mig is definitely weak from the servo out. I just redesigned it to use the v2 guts and it's much more solid. The plans are already updated if you want to check it out.

I am planning an 800mm. I think those funjet motors you're looking at would work well in the size.

Hell2Go

You could definitely extend out the aluminum. So far I've not gotten any stress marks on mine as the v2 speedwing is more solid. The original speedwing on the mig is definitely weak from the servo out. I just redesigned it to use the v2 guts and it's much more solid. The plans are already updated if you want to check it out.

I am planning an 800mm. I think those funjet motors you're looking at would work well in the size.

Even after that crash my nnMig wing only has a few wrinkles in the skin and is completely usable after a 100 ft nose dive into the ground! a real testament to the durability of your design. I had the wing held on with rubber bands that broke on impact probably saving the wing.

I will practice up on my speed flying skills with my sonic series in preparation for the 800mm and get my power system ordered! :cool:

Hell2Go

Getting there pretty quickly...

IMG_0287.JPG
My son Spencer and I are building these together, his is yellow and black mine is blue and white

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG
Spencer said he could cut his finger on the trailing edges... less drag = more speed.
IMG_0294.JPG
hardest part is gluing the wingtips and getting them smooth!
IMG_0295.JPG
and a nice taper to the tip
IMG_0296.JPG
The tape seams lined up flawlessly, on the next build I will use this to incorporate a curved stripe across the wing.
IMG_0297.JPG
I think when the top of fuse goes on it will cover the top seams on the fuse front flaps.

I can hardly wait!!!

Last edited:

Hell2Go

I found an audio Doppler speed detector and tried it on you chipmonk 800mm 107mph video to test it and it said your plane was going 784mph! you really know how to get the most speed out of your airplanes! us mere mortals aren't worthy! lol!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Getting there pretty quickly...

View attachment 53909
My son Spencer and I are building these together, his is yellow and black mine is blue and white

View attachment 53910

View attachment 53911
View attachment 53912
Spencer said he could cut his finger on the trailing edges... less drag = more speed.
View attachment 53913
hardest part is gluing the wingtips and getting them smooth!
View attachment 53914
and a nice taper to the tip
View attachment 53915
The tape seams lined up flawlessly, on the next build I will use this to incorporate a curved stripe across the wing.
View attachment 53916
I think when the top of fuse goes on it will cover the top seams on the fuse front flaps.

I can hardly wait!!!

These look really good so far! I like the blue a lot. Make sure you follow the throw gauge closely. It indicates the max throws and should not be exceeded.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I found an audio Doppler speed detector and tried it on you chipmonk 800mm 107mph video to test it and it said your plane was going 784mph! you really know how to get the most speed out of your airplanes! us mere mortals aren't worthy! lol!

lol! I'm hoping to get into the 180mph range with DTFB, but 700? That's just crazy haha.

Hell2Go

784mph! hahaha I think it combined the multiple passes to get that number, I don't have a smartfone, but if you want to try it, the app is called RC Speedo... If it works I'll get a cheap ifone without a contract, might be cheaper than a radar gun.

current progress on our planes:

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG

They will look awesome flying in formation!

Hell2Go

Tried to maiden our SS nnP-39's today... didn't go well... both planes winged over to the left and broke the props on impact... gotta order more props and investigate the problem... AUW is 435-450g. Maybe I need a bungi launcher?

Any suggestions?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hmm, I've not had a left roll at all. How hard was the throw? Are you 100% on the CG? Left roll could be from a stall, i.e. Not enough throttle or strength on the launch, or tail heavy.

On launch do 3/4 throttle and throw it hard at a steep angle. Get enough altitide so you can recover.

Another thought, could be trim/wing. The throw is so minor for huge effect on the ail that a little out of trim = immediate roll.