Souther MD Airfields?

C130CrewChief

Greetings,

I'm working in southern Maryland in Charles County and looking for a place to fly. I've seen a flying club online that gets together at a local school and owns a field, I'm just not sure of the club atmosphere/operations.
My background is very little with the hobby, small indoor Airhogs, some fixed pitch heli, nothing major. I am really getting a kick out of scratch building with my son but no where to test out our builds. When it comes to work, or life in general I am never ashamed to ask for help, however I'm am having reservations on joining a club.
Just the thought of being teathered to someone else or hovered over like a child pushes me further from joining. Paying dues to access an area is fine, Ive done it for hunting, shooting, motocross, ect.... But only going with another "exsperienced person or trainer" doesn't set with me well, I'm at the mercy of their schedule. I know I will crash regardless, and I'll have to rebuild things and I'm fine with that, and I am a grownup if I start doing something unsafe I know when to stop and can handle the consoqueses of my actions.
Does this sound out of place to anyone? And if anyone's a member I would love to hear about it and bring my son out to see some real flying, lol not crashing after takeoff.

Thanks

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had the same type of concerns after reading the club website here in Northern Virginia, but after actually meeting the people at the club and flying with them for a while they were much much friendlier and my fears were unfounded. I think there is language the clubs put into their websites and policies to get property owners and county government folks to let them operate that doesn't serve them well when it comes to attracting new members. In my case, I'm still not approved for "unmonitored" flying, but I've been to the club field about 6 times and have been able to fly as much as I like every single time without any problems, and without feeling "hovered over" either.

I'd recommend giving someone at the club a call, or even better meeting up with people at the field to see how they really operate. Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
When the County isn't giving us problems with weird interpretations of FAA rules, the primary field is Poplar Ford in Chantilly. At the moment, Fairfax county is back in a "no model flying within 30 miles of an airpoirt" mode which puts us indoors or visiting far away clubs.