Spektrum vs. Futaba which is better?

rfd

AMA 51668
the main thing about the open source tx radios is, at least for me, all about multi-protocol use. each of us, rank newbie and well seasoned "pro" alike need to think about their radio AND aircraft needs and wants.

there is no question that spektrum, futaba, graupner, tactic, etc, have easy programming going for them, perfect for a newbie, or if there is a need for mixing and special programming - that's what you pay the added dollars for in those radios, the programming templates. these radios work off ONE rx protocol and they will only function with that one radio protocol. you can't match a spektrum tx with a tactic rx, or futaba or graupner or hi-tec or JR or jet-si, etc. there are no multi-protocol features in these radios. if you have a stable of different aircraft rx's (RTF's or BNF's etc), you will need a compatible radio for each one. if you see a cheap plane or drone that you want to add to your fleet, it better have the rx protocol to match yer radio. THAT is the problem that some of us face - radio protocol standardization - there is none.

enter open-tx. a taranis qx7 with irx4 module is inexpensive in comparison and it has voice and telemetry and multi protocols to bind up with a gamut of different rx's. the ability to bind with multiple protocols was the most important thing for me, as i have a number of different rx's in my stable of aircraft. the fact the newer protocols can be flashed to the radio's firmware is future value added. the jumper t8sg appears to be yet another good open-tx fully multi-protocol radio for an incredibly low $80 price tag ... we'll see about that.

for the average pilot, 4-6 channels is the most ever needed, and some who fly old timers get by with just 3 channels. all these factors need to be assessed before buying any tx radio. i have both spektrum (dms-x) and tactic (slt) radios. both are now rendered obsolete (for ME) by taranis and jumper radios as either of these open-tx source radios can handle ALL my aircraft and many different mixed types of rx's.

YES, it does take some good effort to learn how to program more complicated open-tx radio features. however, it's not difficult or hard to learn the basics of these open-tx radios, most of it is quite intuitive, and the basics are only what the majority of pilots need, me included.

so yes, a spektrum could the be the one and only tx a pilot needs forever ... as long as the aircraft flown are spektrum compatible only. to some, this is not a problem, while to others who wish to fly a gamut of different brand BNF/RTF machines, or who already have a stable of different rx aircraft, it is a limiting problem of sorts. this is where open-tx multi-protocol radios are worth owning. again, i'll add in - they're 1/3d to 2/3rds the cost of a comparable non-open-tx. quality, durability, support, and cost - it's all good one way or another and ymmv.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
the main thing about the open source tx radios is, at least for me, all about multi-protocol use. each of us, rank newbie and well seasoned "pro" alike need to think about their radio AND aircraft needs and wants.

there is no question that spektrum, futaba, graupner, tactic, etc, have easy programming going for them, perfect for a newbie, or if there is a need for mixing and special programming - that's what you pay the added dollars for in those radios, the programming templates. these radios work off ONE rx protocol and they will only function with that one radio protocol. you can't match a spektrum tx with a tactic rx, or futaba or graupner or hi-tec or JR or jet-si, etc. there are no multi-protocol features in these radios. if you have a stable of different aircraft rx's (RTF's or BNF's etc), you will need a compatible radio for each one. if you see a cheap plane or drone that you want to add to your fleet, it better have the rx protocol to match yer radio. THAT is the problem that some of us face - radio protocol standardization - there is none.

enter open-tx. a taranis qx7 with irx4 module is inexpensive in comparison and it has voice and telemetry and multi protocols to bind up with a gamut of different rx's. the ability to bind with multiple protocols was the most important thing for me, as i have a number of different rx's in my stable of aircraft. the fact the newer protocols can be flashed to the radio's firmware is future value added. the jumper t8sg appears to be yet another good open-tx fully multi-protocol radio for an incredibly low $80 price tag ... we'll see about that.

for the average pilot, 4-6 channels is the most ever needed, and some who fly old timers get by with just 3 channels. all these factors need to be assessed before buying any tx radio. i have both spektrum (dms-x) and tactic (slt) radios. both are now rendered obsolete (for ME) by taranis and jumper radios as either of these open-tx source radios can handle ALL my aircraft and many different mixed types of rx's.

YES, it does take some good effort to learn how to program more complicated open-tx radio features. however, it's not difficult or hard to learn the basics of these open-tx radios, most of it is quite intuitive, and the basics are only what the majority of pilots need, me included.

so yes, a spektrum could the be the one and only tx a pilot needs forever ... as long as the aircraft flown are spektrum compatible only. to some, this is not a problem, while to others who wish to fly a gamut of different brand BNF/RTF machines, or who already have a stable of different rx aircraft, it is a limiting problem of sorts. this is where open-tx multi-protocol radios are worth owning. again, i'll add in - they're 1/3d to 2/3rds the cost of a comparable non-open-tx. quality, durability, support, and cost - it's all good one way or another and ymmv.

I'll add my $0.02 on this, for a reason I went with Spektrum over FrSky radios:

I bought a DX6 over the FrSky 9 channel radio that my LHS offered because the gimbals on the Spektrum radio felt smoother to me than the FrSky. This is a matter of preference, much like how some like a stiffer suspension feel in a car while others like a smoother ride - it's in how YOU throw the sticks. The LHS guys told me, "You can always upgrade the gimbals in the FrSky to smoother gimbals," but when I inquired, I was tacking on another $50 to do that upgrade, thus putting the transmitter into the same cost as the Spektrum.

Yes, I'm limiting myself to a certain frequency type, that of DSM/DSMX over FASST/Futaba or one of the other frequency hopping protocols. But, I'm happy with what I've got, much like the difference between a Linux/Windows/Mac platform computer. You go with what you like, what feels best, and at the end of the day, what YOU feel is the best for YOUR situation. :) I'm not going to tell you that the Spektrum is the best radio; it's got its hangups, and there are a few things I don't like about it. But it's the best radio for ME and MY situation. Check out the radios, ask your Local Hobby Shop if you can put hands on the transmitter itself. If it doesn't feel comfortable in your hands, think of how it's going to feel when you're flying a plane for 10-15 minutes...Same goes for the switch locations. Yes, the frequency portion is important, but it's not the end all be all for them...

rfd

AMA 51668
EXACTLY! it's all good, there is no such thing as "best radio ever" for a population - that's a subjective statement left for only for personal piloting assessment requirements.

what IS MOST IMPORTANT is to at least KNOW what's out there in terms of the radio tx market. knowing is more than half the battle because then one can begin to make a better informed decision with lots less ignorance. this is what a newbie needs to do - get an r/c electronics basic education.

i have an old dx5e tx that still works just fine. if it was the only radio i was allowed to have, no problem for me, i'd make it work with all my birds, can do. but since i'm allowed other choices, i've spent the time to better understand how they would fit in with my flying and my current and future birds. that tqx7 just makes my flying that much more fun. it's all good! YMMV! :)

RCdiy

RCdiy
Get whatever your clubmates use, so you can join in with buddy boxing etc etc. Mostly you won't notice much difference in the real world between systems. My club mainy use Spektrum, so I bought a DX6e, but if they'd have used FreeSky or FlySky I would have joined in with that (It's cheaper too!).

If you are beginning in RC it's best to be in a club. There's always a halpful hand and some sage advice.

That's my advice.

Ouch!
+1
If you want to do a trial with FrSKY download the Companion software and run the transmitter and telemetry simulator.
http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-guide/