Solved Spitfire Power-Pod Mount

Ideally_Inventive

So I have a new spitfire that I did the maiden for the other day and the thing I notice when I crashed is that the front 2 power pod mount rods seem to delaminate the foam and bend down and loosen the power pod. Any ideas on how to make this more robust? Pictures are linked below DSC03213.JPG DSC03216.JPG DSC03217.JPG

Ideally_Inventive

It is a FT one... Here are some photos... Mind you, this was a landing, and these had been repaired before. The landing was not a crash and so I was confused at why this happened again.
DSC03218.JPG
DSC03219.JPG
DSC03220.JPG

Ideally_Inventive

I can but that wasn't a crash. It was a landing. I came in real slow with no throttle and touched down. and it broke. But yes. I do sometimes use a skewer there depending on if I crashed and I still have 4 volts per cell

danskis

Master member
Sorry....well if your not crashing you can try reinforcing the foam underneath with wood or a gift card. I don't use power pods on my Spitfire - I just make the pod short and glue it in but you have to have way to get the battery in. My wing is removable. I'm also thinking I might make a wood power pod - if you did that with a skewer through the side it would stay pretty well. On my Spit I made 1/32 plywood "cheeks" (you can cut it with a scissors) and glued them on front around the side of the nose. Makes that nose last a lot longer. After a year and a half I've learned to flare the landing and not break props or torque the front. Thats a great flying plane .... lets see some pics of the whole plane,

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Same. I learnt it of the FT vid

On another note, I had my first flight yesterday! Except I landed/crashed on rough ground and broke my landing gear axle thing!

daxian

Elite member
its simple enough to move with the times ,adapt and move on !
josh's latest designs have moved to a rail system which can be used in all the previous builds...with just a little adaptation to the original plans ...look at the simple stick ,simple cub build video's for inspiration.

ColoFlyer

Another option if you have a 3D printer or know someone who does, you can print these parts I designed to replace the Skewers.
I had the same problems with the pins breaking the foam or the skewer pins breaking on hard landings or crashes. Once I finally got a 3D printer I designed a part that is easy to install and easy to replace if it gets broken. It protects the foam, and doesn't use the wood skewers. These just push on where the skewers would go, and attach with 2 3mm screws. The pins are 4mm, so if anyone want to use them, you might have to ream out the power pod holes just a tiny bit to get them to fit. I posted a pic below of them installed on my Bushwacker, and on my P-51.
Anyway, just another possibility.

Attachments

• Bushwacker Power Pins.jpg
    Bushwacker Power Pins.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P51 Power Pins.jpg
    P51 Power Pins.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PowerPod Pins for Double Thickness foam.stl
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PowerPod Pins for Single Thickness foam.stl
    69.4 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I seen this issue on my first builds of FT stuff and I solved it by using doublers made of FB for the power pod to sit on, and eliminated the sticks altogether. I have a whole thread on the Spitfire mods I did way back in the day, check it out...
Nose mods on the FT Spitfire (flitetest.com)
There are other quality mods in there as well, plus others chiming in so you can get some ideas

ThatPolishHotdog

So I have a new spitfire that I did the maiden for the other day and the thing I notice when I crashed is that the front 2 power pod mount rods seem to delaminate the foam and bend down and loosen the power pod. Any ideas on how to make this more robust? Pictures are linked below View attachment 183184 View attachment 183187 View attachment 183188
Lots of carefully smeared hot glue also works. If you aren't keen on going super into mods and you want a quick fix, what I do is peel the paper back, and just hot glue the darn thing down.