Spitfire/warbirds off a 24 gram motor?

Daffy Punk

I have a 1500kv 24 gram motor that I plan to use to fly a spitfire type plane powered by a 3S battery. Anyone any idea what size scale reduction I'd need to try to hey it to fly ok? I've seen the 80% versions but suspect even that would be too much for the motor. Anyone have any experience trying something like this? It'll be my first own design so it would be nice if I could get it to fly...

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The full size Spit will fly with that but barely. You'd need no wind and full throttle to just puts around. My 800mm will fly okay with that motor. I'd start with the 800mm, just make sure you don't go above a 1000mah 3s for weight reasons.

Plans and such are in my signature!

Daffy Punk

Planning to use an 800mAh so flight times will be a bit short but hopefully it'll fly OK. Your plans are great - I was planning to use the FT plans as a start and scale down when printing. New plan is to start with yours - means I don't have to compensate for the board thickness change in the scaling. Thanks! Plane will be something a bit Spit like but different - first time design so may take me a while but should be fun!

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
My FT Flyers regularly weigh in at 390 - 420 grams and have no trouble at all using a 24 gram "Blue Wonder" motor.
I believe if you can keep the weight down, you'll have no problems.

My 800mm Mustang A.U.W. is 450 grams, but it uses a park 370-ish equivalent motor.

good luck with your design. can't wait to see the progress.

Tom

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
A Spitfire want some more speed than the FT.

I would not have choosen a 24 gram motor to any plane with an all up weight of more than 300-350 grams, better is a weight of 250 grams. Better on a spit is a smaller diameter prop with more pitch. (7*6 is better than 8*4).

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Planning to use an 800mAh so flight times will be a bit short but hopefully it'll fly OK. Your plans are great - I was planning to use the FT plans as a start and scale down when printing. New plan is to start with yours - means I don't have to compensate for the board thickness change in the scaling. Thanks! Plane will be something a bit Spit like but different - first time design so may take me a while but should be fun!

Awesome! Do make a thread to share your build.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
A Spitfire want some more speed than the FT.

I would not have choosen a 24 gram motor to any plane with an all up weight of more than 300-350 grams, better is a weight of 250 grams. Better on a spit is a smaller diameter prop with more pitch. (7*6 is better than 8*4).

I think in this case you'd want as much thrust as possible so that means the largest diameter prop the motor can handle. 8x will produce much more thrust than 7x.