Spitfire76's Build log of 3dLabPrint's J35 Saab Draken

Spitfire76

Well-known member
Build-ruary challenge day 3 of 29

Flying_01-800x800.jpg

This build is one of my submissions to the Build-ruary challenge.
Downloaded from
I will be using Polylight 1.0 LW-PLA.
Printing is underway. Starting with the 9 fuselage parts.
 
Last edited:

Spitfire76

Well-known member
Build-ruary challenge day 6 of 29

Over the last couple of days I printed the first 5 parts of the fuselage. The first 3 slot together well but 3 with 4 and 4 with 5 are posing a challenge. These are much larger than the first 3 and contains the EDF thrust tube. The guide does warn about this and some sanding is required

IMG_4662.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Spitfire76

Well-known member
Build-ruary challenge day 7 of 29
I have discovered an inconstancy with the provided files. Seems that the LW version was designed to use spiral mode but its not set in any of the files I have printed so far. Further investigation shows that it is set in the g-codes.

1707336854346.png
 
Last edited:

Spitfire76

Well-known member
Build-ruary challenge day 8 of 29

So it turns that the g-code files were not generated with the prusa slicer but with Simplfy3D which was the slicer 3dLabPrint initially used. I believe it use to be free but it became a paid subscription a few years ago.

; G-Code generated by Simplify3D(R) Version 4.0.0

Spiral mode is for sure the best method for printing LW-PLA but the part needs to be designed to use it. When its enabled in prusaslicer this message appears

1707403102475.png


So not all parts can be printed in spiral mode. For example Fuselage_03 has top solid infill which is disabled in spiral mode. The S3D g-code file has it disabled. I am in the process of building a spread sheet that shows if the part can be printed in spiral mode and will use the g-code files as a source.

In the meantime I am printing the parts than need to be printed with regular PLA but also ran into some issues
  • The servo mount pillars are too close together for FT or Emax servos
  • As noted on page 4 of the user guide the EDF tube needs to be printed with a 3 layer and 3 outline skirt but only brims are configurable in Bambu studio.
PS - As there is a lot of work todo just to print the parts of this plane I am considering taking it out off my build-ruary list to focus on the planes that have already been printed. I still want to build this plane so will simply place this build on hold for the moment.
 
Last edited:

Spitfire76

Well-known member
Build-ruary challenge day 11 of 29
Despite my previous post I did continue printing but ran into yet another problem - lots of travel when slicing Fuselage_07

image.png


Above was in Bambu Studio compare with below in Prusa Slicer

image.png


I was importing the Fuselage_07_LWPLA.stl file into Bambu Studio but opening the Fuselage_07_LWPLA.3mf file in Prusaslicer. If I import that 3mf file instead of the stl into Bambu Studio its now the same travel as in the Prusaslicer. Seems that at least this file possibly others in the STL directory are not the same ones that are bundled in the 3mf directory, I am not going to trust the STL directory and just load the 3mf files into Bambu Studio from now on.