Spitfire76's Build Log of 3dLabPrint's Piper J3 Cub

Spitfire76

I've built several 3d printed planes from https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/ using ColorFabb's LW-PLA but this will be my first one from 3dlabprint and I will be using their LW-PLA - https://3dlabprint.com/shop/polylight-1-0-cubyellow-lw-pla/ to print their free to download https://3dlabprint.com/shop/piperj3cub/

I'll follow Troy's build video and add my own notes in this thread.

Most of the LW-PLA printing that I've done has been on a Robo 3d R1+ that I've had since late 2019 but earlier this year I purchased a Bambu Lab's P1P

With the Eclispon Models I used Cura and had the settings dialed in and so the challenge here is to have the same success using Bambu Studio and printing on the P1P. Bambu Lab's now have their own LW-PLA called PLA Aero but I will be using 3dLabPrint's Polylight as I already have a couple of reels so will use them first before trying the Aero.

I will be using their LW-PLA printing guide though.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

To obtain the files for this Piper J3 Cub you do need to login to the 3dlabprint website and effectively purchase them, but the cost is $0.

These are the 4 zip files available to download.
  • PS_G-CODE.zip
  • PS_3MF.zip
  • S3D_Factory.zip
  • 3DLabPrint Piper J-3 CUB decal sheet.zip
The first file contains the g-codes and in some cases, depending on the printer, these can be used directly. The files have been generated using the Prusaslicer and although I have not tried to use them on my P1P I don't believe that they would work but it's something I may investigate later. Another approach would be to add the P1P to the prusaslicer and use the files from PS_3MF but I am not sure how to do that and again it's something that I might check into later. My initial approach is to use Bambu Lab's slicer, Bambu Studio since its already setup for the P1P and print jobs can be sent from it to the printer over the wireless network. Also, since Bambu Studio handles 3mf files I thought that I could simply load the files from PS_3MF but unfortunately, it's not that easy. I need to research into the 3mf format some more, but my understanding is it's a standard and unlike stl files contains additional information like print settings. When I load one of the files from PS_3MF into Bambu Studio as a project I get the following message

1692371705571.png

In other words, I can load the 3mf file but only will get the same information as if it were a stl file. Not sure here who is not following the standard but its looking like Bambu Studio. I'll check into this further but in the meantime, I am just going to import the cub files as if they were stl files which means manually setting up a printer, filament and process setting in BS.

The S3D_factory.zip files contain the files for the Simplfy3D slicer which I believe is what 3dLabPrint initially used before moving to the Prusaslicer. The last file is actually a PDF not a zip file and contains the decals.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

I first loaded the non-vase profile at the end of this article as a starting point for the settings/

I then installed the prusaslicer and opened the Marlin compatible direct Driver printer.......... file from this document

1692395301430.png

Another error that I ran into when loading some of the cub 3mf files is this, not sure what it means but it did seem to be repairable.

1692379319081.png

Last edited:

Spitfire76

I have almost completed the build, but I have neglected this build log for the last month so will try to update it over the next few days with the following topics

• Printing the parts on a Bambu Lab P1P
  • Assembly
  • Creating vinyl decals
  • Installing electronics including an Aura 5 Lite

Spitfire76

In order to print parts with the right settings on the Bambu printer I first mapped the Prusaslicer printer and filament settings to the Bambu Studio settings using a spreadsheet. Even though the Bambu Studio is based on the Prusaslicer some names are different e.g perimeters vs shells. Also some settings exist in PS but not in BS. Then I loaded the 3mf files from the Cub one by one into the PS and it turns out that there are about 4 or so major profile settings. For example for a lot of the parts the printer profile is "0.3mm 3DLabPrint". I then made the same user preset in BS " 0.3mm 3DLabPrint @BBL P1P". I also made a user preset for the filament " 3DLabPrint PolyLight 1.0 @BBL P1P". Although there are only a few of these user presets each part may have some modifiers so I had to recreate these and finally ended up with a complete BS project like this and have one for the wings, fuse, gear etc... just to keep them at a manageble size.

image.png

El Guapo

Hello
I have the piper cub STL files. The 3mf files and the gcodes for Prusa are gone on the 3Dlab site, and the files are no longer in the download either. I chased down a lot of settings for the Pursa slicer and these are my major problems, not too bad, but it aggravates my OCD. Haha
I also have a Bambu P1S. I tried to use the Prusa settings in Bambu slicer and the print ended up worse. So I have to transfer from Prusa slicer to SD card to the Bambu. I believe I'm using a non foaming light weight PLA from Esun, could you upload settings that you have used for your Bambu Studio slicer. I would like to purchase some other planes from 3Dlab, but I would like the print to be corrected first. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
20231031_193014.jpg
20231031_193028.jpg
20231031_193133.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The 3mf files and the gcodes for Prusa are gone on the 3Dlab site, and the files are no longer in the download either.
Wow, I just downloaded the zip file a couple of days ago and both the gcodes and 3mf files were in it. Try downloading the file again.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
What printer and slicer will you be using
I built a Prusa MK4 kit (which was a lot of fun) so I'll just use the supplied G codes for the Cub. If I like the 3D printed planes then I'll probably start using Prusa slicer and experiment with their input shaping. It's cut about 40% off my normal print times.

El Guapo

Nice. Well put up pics of your build. If you come up with any info of why my prints have open spots, let me know please

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just started printing yesterday. I tried using the Gcode and didn't like the results so I imported the .3mf files into Prusa Slicer and then changed the printer to my MK4. I'm getting good prints with some internal stringing but no problems so far.

IMG_4842.JPG

Spitfire76

Realized that I hadn't updated this log for awhile but I did complete the Cub awhile back, just need to maiden it.

I had printed number of Eclipson planes but this was my first 3dLabPrint plane and also the first 3d printed plane using my Bambu Labs P1P. The real challenge was converting the 3mf files that were supplied and recreating them in the Bambu Studio slicer. It would have been much easier and quicker if I had a Prusa Printer. Also as LW-PLA cannot be printed too fast I could not take advantage of the high speeds that Bambu Lab printers are capable of.

IMG_4429.JPEG

Last edited:

Spitfire76

The best solution for both 3dLabPrint and Eclipson would be to provide 3mf project files that are compatible with Bambu Studio. Maybe they will as these printers become more and more popular.

As Flitetest has featured some of these 3d printed planes it would be good to know what method they are using as I believe they have a number of Bambu Lab Printers.

Jester9092

The best solution for both 3dLabPrint and Eclipson would be to provide 3mf project files that are compatible with Bambu Studio. Maybe they will as these printers become more and more popular.

As Flitetest has featured some of these 3d printed planes it would be good to know what method they are using as I believe they have a number of Bambu Lab Printers.

I've been trying to get good prints of the Piper from my Bambu P1P, but I'm having less than great success. One area near the nose has what I can only describe as 'loose filament coverage' where the wall is gapped between each layer of filament. This shows up in the preview also. To test, I'm using standard PLA just to get the print settings dialed in. I'm using current versions of both BS and the firmware on the P1P. I've also been trying to get a good test print using the 3dLabPrint PolyLite (just the benchy), but also having problems although I believe I'm using the suggested temp settings from 3dLabPrint. I've been 3d printing for a few years now, so it's been frustrating to not be able to get this set up properly. If you have setting files and/or .3mf files that you can share, I'd appreciate it. Your Piper looks great and is exactly the result I'm looking for. Regards.

Spitfire76

I've been trying to get good prints of the Piper from my Bambu P1P, but I'm having less than great success. One area near the nose has what I can only describe as 'loose filament coverage' where the wall is gapped between each layer of filament. This shows up in the preview also. To test, I'm using standard PLA just to get the print settings dialed in. I'm using current versions of both BS and the firmware on the P1P. I've also been trying to get a good test print using the 3dLabPrint PolyLite (just the benchy), but also having problems although I believe I'm using the suggested temp settings from 3dLabPrint. I've been 3d printing for a few years now, so it's been frustrating to not be able to get this set up properly. If you have setting files and/or .3mf files that you can share, I'd appreciate it. Your Piper looks great and is exactly the result I'm looking for. Regards.
It looks like there is an export config in Bambu Studio in order to share printer, filament and process settings with others but I have not used it before so need to make some tests.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

@Jester9092 In your earlier post you mentioned that you were using regular PLA to dial in settings but do you have any PolyLight 1.0 LW PLA as any settings that I share with you are set to use that filament.

Last edited:

Jester9092

Yes, I have spools of Yellow, Grey and White. I was optimistic when I ordered them...

I'm using the regular PLA to just try and figure out the settings for the thin walls and properly printing the internal structures. I'm about 80-90% of the way there, but I know the models can come out better.

Jasper9

Hey! Brand new to printing rc planes (but not printing in general). I have a X1C - would you be able to share the bambu labs slicer presets to save some time? Have you flown it yet? I was thinking of ordering some of bambu’s aero filament to do this.

Thanks!