Sport Cub 3 position Flaps/down elevator on DX6.

StndbyHD

I recently upgraded from my dx6i to a dx6 along with that i purchased a sport cub and decided i wanted to add the flaps to it. The manual is no help that comes along with the dx6 as well as youtube being that it is so new. I haven't the slightest clue what percentages i need to do to get the flaps set up correctly for lets say takeoff flaps and landing flaps. The sport cub pitches up like crazy when i engage flaps to land on my dx6i it was recommended in the manual to add 20% down elevator into a mix when engaging the flaps to prevent it. Any help at all would be much appreciated screenshots or a link to a thread would be great thanks for you time.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The flap settings are on page 68 and 69 of the dx6i manual:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM6600-Manual_DX6i.pdf

there are 4 numbers on the screen, which are the flap positions (up and down -- first column) and amount of elevator mix (second column). These are live settings, so changing the number on the active switch position should move the servo.

Assuming you've centered the flap servo when you installed it, the 0/0 settings should lock the flap at neutral in both positions. changing the flaps column (to like 0/20), should move the flap when you flip the switch. How much will depend on how it flies -- the sportcub manual has travel recommendations for the flap throw. The elevator column adds up/down percent of flap -- change the number and watch the elevator change -- make sure it gives a little down pressure . . . then take it for a test flight.

get it a few mistakes high, slow the throttle to where it just begins to descend in level flight . . . and turn on the flaps. if it rises gently without changing pitch it's good. Otherwise, land, adjust and test in the air. If it pitches up, more up elevator, down more down elevator.

Try not to use the flaps *at least* until you've got a feel for what they'll do -- don't want to flip them on when landing and have the elevator mix nose over into the ground.

DDSFlyer

On the podcast they were talking about the flaps having a pretty good ballooning effect. With the new DX6 you have it's nice to have a 3 position switch for the flaps. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but the manual for the sport cub should give you the throws to dial in to start and then you can modify during flight testing.

StndbyHD

I guess i need to call horizon hobby because i still cant figure this out. I guess i thought somebody on here would know a bit more about mixing flaps and elevator on a dx6 seeing as tho its the same menus as a dx9. Im more of hands on learner and i havent found a detailed breakdown about what ll the value on the mixing settings do so im still kind of stuck at square one here.