STAR WARS scratch builds

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Star wars has a ton of cool starship designs that look just great, but if you go into the aerodynamics, most of them have huge flaws that make building scale flying replicas almost impossible. It can be a real challenge to find a good balance between scale and good flight caracteristics.

I made this thread so that everyone can share their builds, ideas, information or unknown ship designs.

The biggest issue with most Star Wars designs (X-wing for example) are wings that are too far in the back and a long nose combined with the lack of a vertical stabelizer. That means that if you place your CG on the right spot, you will have extreme yaw issues. To correct the yaw issues, you either need to shift the CG etreamely far to the front or add large vertical stabelizers which would destroy the look.

Once my Maker Foam arrives here in Europe, Im going to build two ships:

The Republic LAAT Gunship, I love its Mil Mi 24 inspired looks and I have some cool Ideas with it:

20e3bb25acd9f320366e83cfa5dbe3b7.jpg

And the Umbaran starfighter which appears in clone wars and looks very unique:

6525702353_db9fdf9692_b1.jpeg

And here are some extreamely uncommon ships that are very likeley to fly:

You know the standard T-65 X-wing, but theres also a x-83 X-wing that features a twin boom tail. It might not look that nice, buf it would be easy to make it fly:
dcfqlzq-447a7597-28b9-457d-a328-8ccadcc38849.png

This thing is a stretched ripoff of the Lippisch P13a I made a while ago (check my profile pic):
valahari_starfighter_ortho__new__by_unusualsuspex_danacpt-pre.jpg

This thing got my attention because its cockpit looks quie familar...
i7b_1355-1.jpg

...like the BV 40 glider, which is cool because this little plane is armed with two 30mm canons and can reach a speed of 900km/h!!! Its a glider!
300px-BV40.jpg

And my favorite car manufacturer Porsche just partnered with lucasfilm and created a new ship. I think it looks cool, but it doesnt fit into the Star Wars universe:
Porsche-Star-Wars-Tri-Wing-S-91x-Pegasus-Starfighter-gallerySquareTeaser-2cff8e7a-1656283.jpg

2-format2101.jpg

jfaleo1

I saw the Porsche collaboration as well, I like it a lot, and it may actually fly. This was my run at one Stage Wars design, a Tie Reaper transport. It was a larger version or the Striker, both featured in Rogue One. EDF was 50mm 3S so ended up underpowered. especially after enough weight was added to get it to balance. I'm going to take another shot at this again trying to get the balance right, using different build methods, with a lot more power. good luck on your attempts.
sfs_tie_reaper_troop_transport_ortho__new__by_unusualsuspex_daxaum5-pre.jpg smn17m1w7n2z.jpg IMG_3209.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I saw the Porsche collaboration as well, I like it a lot, and it may actually fly. This was my run at one Stage Wars design, a Tie Reaper transport. It was a larger version or the Striker, both featured in Rogue One. EDF was 50mm 3S so ended up underpowered. especially after enough weight was added to get it to balance. I'm going to take another shot at this again trying to get the balance right, using different build methods, with a lot more power. good luck on your attempts.
View attachment 151696 View attachment 151697 View attachment 151698
This looks like it has some serious potential, how big is it? Hard to tell the scale size from the pic

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You know the standard T-65 X-wing, but theres also a x-83 X-wing that features a twin boom tail. It might not look that nice, buf it would be easy to make it fly:
269432_f6a5cdf42e8b819c9104f19fe6fb084e.png

And my favorite car manufacturer Porsche just partnered with lucasfilm and created a new ship. I think it looks cool, but it doesnt fit into the Star Wars universe:
269444_8e99097ddb66aeee832ed15959b3a6aa.jpg

269446_47a06cca954d44f5c60b18af77a95447.jpg
These two look so do-able. Either of them could be twin pushers with differential thrust, and an aileron/elevator configuration.
Which of these are you gonna try to build?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Christmas Eve there is a Star Wars marathon on Showcase. I will be watching tube all day. Might be nice enough to go for a fly too.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just make it a flat wing or a Kfm wing, Have you seen @JGplanes White Diamond that thing is pretty similar and it flies awesome!!

Challenge freakin accepted;)
I have seen the white diamond. And it has the same kind of profile being that it is shaped like a diamond. But you cant just build a white diamond and call it a snow speeder 😆

Vimana89

Legendary member
Awesome idea! I'm not as hardcore into Star Wars as a lot of people I know so some of those were unfamiliar. The Valahari Starfighter is just a slender delta set up like a Lippisch P-13, so that should be cool and straight forward. The "enhanced" version could use the back part as nacelles to mount four micro motors for a VTOL, or even some transitional flight hybrid that can fly like a quad or a plane.