Starting a P-38 Build!

HardDrive

So I have been stalking all the P-38 builds and looking over rudder VS Diff Thrust and seeing some of the things you all have done and have been inspired!
One thing I have not seen though is, Has anyone upgraded the propulsion to a three blade prop set up, and retractable landing gear? (landing gear is just a back burner thought at the moment)
BUT I am looking at a pair of 10X7X3 Props being spun by a pair of E-flight power 32 770kV motors, and of course the Spinners to give it that realistic look.
THOUGHTS?

Just got started today after doing about 5 Boom test builds because I'm impatient apparently so just the wings are started. :p

Attachments

• 2021-01-12 15.57.02.jpg
    2021-01-12 15.57.02.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-01-12 16.58.39.jpg
    2021-01-12 16.58.39.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-01-12 17.00.52.jpg
    2021-01-12 17.00.52.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

GliderFlyer

Elite member
It takes you 5 times to get impatient? I wish I had your patience.(y)
I think that those huge warbirds that flite test builds should have retracts. Then again, they are just foamboard...
Spinners, and 3 bladed props I really like as well. Can't wait to see your paint scheme choice!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So I have been stalking all the P-38 builds and looking over rudder VS Diff Thrust and seeing some of the things you all have done and have been inspired!
One thing I have not seen though is, Has anyone upgraded the propulsion to a three blade prop set up, and retractable landing gear? (landing gear is just a back burner thought at the moment)
BUT I am looking at a pair of 10X7X3 Props being spun by a pair of E-flight power 32 770kV motors, and of course the Spinners to give it that realistic look.
THOUGHTS?

Just got started today after doing about 5 Boom test builds because I'm impatient apparently so just the wings are started. :p
The p-38 is one of my favorites - a fantictic build and flying expierence! I like the idea of retracts and 3 blade props, it’ll make it a lot more scale. You don’t really have to worry about the weight it would add since ft builds are lighter than a typical BNF of the same size.

HardDrive

It takes you 5 times to get impatient? I wish I had your patience.(y)
I think that those huge warbirds that flite test builds should have retracts. Then again, they are just foamboard...
Spinners, and 3 bladed props I really like as well. Can't wait to see your paint scheme choice!
I am leaning heavily towards the red, black and silver scheme, but not 100% sure yet!
And as far as just foam board I need to wait till I get further along in the build, but I think i wont be too hard to build a 3/32 ply box for the retracts, that should give plenty of surface area to attach to the foam with to spread the load and not add a ton of weight. ( I hope)

HardDrive

The p-38 is one of my favorites - a fantictic build and flying expierence! I like the idea of retracts and 3 blade props, it’ll make it a lot more scale. You don’t really have to worry about the weight it would add since ft builds are lighter than a typical BNF of the same size.
Yeah I messaged FT about it, and their only concern was how much it would effect the COG, But I am certain I can compensate for that with the size and placement of the battery or batteries. :p those motors i am planning on using are beasts!

HardDrive

Got the wing finished today, But not without a couple of oops. First I pealed off the paper on the wrong side. So had to cut out new ones, THEN the paper on one did not want to come off, I sat there with a pair of tweezers picking at edges to get the paper off....
Anyone have any tricks for if that happens again? Granted i could of just cut out and made a upper wing skin, but still...
Tomorrow I'll start cutting out and making the templates for the canopy, and maybe get to start cutting the pieces out of the foam!

2021-01-13 16.13.28.jpg

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Got the wing finished today, But not without a couple of oops. First I pealed off the paper on the wrong side. So had to cut out new ones, THEN the paper on one did not want to come off, I sat there with a pair of tweezers picking at edges to get the paper off....
Anyone have any tricks for if that happens again? Granted i could of just cut out and made a upper wing skin, but still...
Tomorrow I'll start cutting out and making the templates for the canopy, and maybe get to start cutting the pieces out of the foam!

View attachment 189143
Some people spray on water or other substances to get the paper to come off. But it doesn't work on every type of foamboard. I don't know why. I've never done that since I usually don't have that kind of problem. What brand is your foamboard?

HardDrive

Some people spray on water or other substances to get the paper to come off. But it doesn't work on every type of foamboard. I don't know why. I've never done that since I usually don't have that kind of problem. What brand is your foamboard?

Its the Dollar Tree/ Dollar General store brand I'll have to look at the tag when I get into the office in a bit.