Stepping Stone

tadiasa

I've been having trouble making the transition from the Tiny Trainer to the mini mustang. I've been flying both with the A pack 1806 2280kv with a 6040 prop (the props that came with my A pack didn't last long) and a 2s 1000mAh battery. I understand that the two are worlds apart as far as skill level, and behavior but I can't seem to get a handle on the mustang. I took it out today and was able to make a couple of circuits and she trimmed out great with a little right aileron, and she tracked fantastic. Went around for a third circuit and tip stalled which sent her nose first into the dirt. This was my second build of the air frame with the first one scuttled and this one requiring massive repairs after having the same thing happen pre rates/expo. I've now scuttled the second and have built a fresh air frame for the third time, but I'm getting frustrated. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a good transition plane that I can maybe gain some confidence and skill on rather than continuously driving air frames into the ground to repair or replace only to do it all over again? I'm very comfortable with the TT, so much so that even with a stripped aileron servo I was able to bring her half way around for a greased landing almost at my feet. Help please, this is very discouraging.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
First don't let it get to ya. Anyone who says they have a different story is either incredibly lucky or straight lying! I thrashed my first 5 FT builds before finally getting to grips. Then just when you start to get a bit cocky, bang you've thrashed another. Anyway imagine it you had paid big money for those airframes and they went the same way. AT least with the FT ethos you don't end up paying through the nose for a one flight (and crash) wonder!!

Consider the larger versions. Larger is better and more stable.They also seem to handle a bit of abuse better too. The other option I found is to add a gyro to the mighty mini's it makes them a lot more stable and easier to fly.

Good luck and dont give up!!

N4RF

I'm going to second the idea of a bigger model for the reason just noted but also because it allows you to go higher and the higher you go, the better chance of correcting for mistakes like a stall. A tip stall at 100 feet is easier to correct from and one at 20 feet even if the plane is going faster.

I'll also second the don't give up. It is frustrating.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
In general:
Larger is more stable.
High wings are more stable.
Bigger wingspan is more stable for roll about the longitudinal axis.
Bigger horizontal stab is more stable for pitch about the lateral axis.
Bigger vertical stab is more stable for yaw about the vertical axis.
Longer fuselage increase effectiveness of horizontal and vertical stabs.
Lighter suffers less impact damage.
Slower offers more response time and reduces impact damage.
Wing dihedral/polyhedral increase stability.

Which of those domyour tiny trainer already have? When you step up, becareful not to trade for n too many all at once. Also, if you have a programmable radio you can decrease the throws of the sticks so that they're less sensitive. Some radios have high and low rates selectable.

These all create a more forgiving situation as you master the hand-eye coordination/muscle memory/finesse for the more agile/twitchy aircraft.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Remember along with travel adjustments you can always dial up expo pretty high and then drop it back as confidence and skills grow. You can also set the control rods to different positions on the horns to tame a twitchy plane down a touch.

tadiasa

Thanks for the replies, I think I will try a bit larger plane as suggested above. My short flight today was followed by a lengthy session of throwing a baseball into a tree to try to get my plane down. Plane is still up there so the battery is shot and I'm grounded until my new ones come in the mail. I'm mostly upset about the $60 of electronics that are up there... throw weight and line are coming in the mail on Friday, until then I have to pray for a stiff breeze

Jugsy

Losing planes in trees is always awful, being able to see it but not take it home is so frustrating! You can try using some (light) rope with a tool like a spanner attached to the end while you wait for the real deal. Grab some friends or family members, with a few extra hands/supervisors an annoying job like this can turn in to a hilarious afternoon!

Jugsy

Also, I'm going to second what everyone's saying here about a larger, more stable plane. The micros can be forgiving post-crash due to their light weight and smaller surfaces, but larger planes are much more predictable and stable pre-crash.

If you can afford to splash out on a trainer with SAFE mode or some kind of Stability, I'd recommend it! I learnt on a Super Cub S, and still fly it to this day due to its durability, simplicity, and ability to takeoff and land from almost anywhere.

Usafa93

Don't get discouraged. We've all been there. Me more than most! U might want to try an 800 mah 3s to notepad of the 2s. With a 6" prop it flies just fine. Once you get comfortable move up to an 8045. Then it's similar to the large mustang. I love my mini. It's my go to flier right now. Good luck!!