Stick and Tissue Micro RC

jsknockoff

Mentor
Any of you guys ever dabble in the micro RC game? I've always enjoyed building stick and tissue since I was a kid, and always dreamed of having them as RC when they were done. Now that the technology is there I'd like to give it whirl.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've seen a lot of people take the small stick & tissue planes designed for free flight and convert them to RC. The biggest issue is keeping them LIGHT, which can take some skill and patience.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
BSD Micro has a lot of great peanut or similar scale stick and tissue designs converted for RC - http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=67

These ones all use a mini-vapor receiver brick, but they have some slightly larger designs that use the regular UMX Champ sized brick.

I've thought about getting a kit from them but have so many projects on my plate right now... :)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Mine failed.

I couldn't keep it light enough because I couldn't find servos and motors small enough.

BSDMicroRC is new to me and I see motors that weigh <> 5 grams and 1.5 gram servos. I may try this again. :)

Thanks Rockyboy!

Attachments

• Clamped2.JPG
    Clamped2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jsknockoff

Mentor
I've been reading a lot about the structure modification required to do a conversion and it seems like guys are going a little overkill. I think I'm going to find a nice kit or plan for an Aeronca Champ in the 30" wingspan range and start there. It may be doomed from the start but I'm going to go with a lot less reinforcement. Weight seems to be the biggest obstacle and I don't plan on crashing it.

dutchmonkey

Here are 3 gliders I did the blue/ purple one is a kit I got finished weigth is 39 grams with a 30in span the blue/ clear one I designed and came in around 50 grams with a 47in span and the yellow/red one is mine and came out to 50 grams with a 38in span. These all use 3.6 and smaller servos, single cell lipo, and a lemon rx. The two I designed use a cracked rib style of build and with careful wood selection you can build light planes. If you can find a wrecked umx plane and get your guts it can help with keeping weight down.

Attachments

• tmp_27782-20161112_175612798191826.jpg
    tmp_27782-20161112_175612798191826.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 1

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I'm slowly working on a Guillow's Cloud Buster, I plan to add some electronics if I can. I still need to find a gearbox / prop, but at the rate it's getting built, finding a spare one shouldn't be a problem. :black_eyed:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow, those are really cool! Is the kit you built still available?

That appears to be a "Micro-Wanderer" -- a scaled down version of an old 72" span glider dating from back in the 70's. There's a gent who posts out on the RCG classifieds who laser cuts this kit for $45+shipping, but you'll have to add your own RC brick for electronics.

dutchmonkey

Yup that's the kit it's a real easy build he has even used the umx radian motor and folding prop on one if them.