Stinger 64

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Nice to see you're getting it ready. You have to record the maiden for us to see!

And yes, nice landing, Robbin Williams!

Fishbonez

I plan to record it I am waiting for a minicam to come through the mail. I demolished my last one we will just say planes/cameras and an introduction to a connex box did not go over well :black_eyed: I hope to see the new one this week or next. I have to goto LHS this morning to pick up some items and will post the completion here soon

Fishbonez

OK ran to the LHS today and got a Spektrum RX and a extension chord for the Servo wire. Unfortunatly they did not have an adapter for the yellow turnigy battery wire so I guess I need to make one. I have a friend who just totaled a plane and ruined his ESC so he said he would donate the end to me to make a charger plug for my charger. So that should work out. Tomorrow we will finish her up.

Last edited:

Fishbonez

got 'er done

Ok I got her all together this afternoon and gave her a bench test and all seemed good. I went ahead and Hot glued that gap closed seemed to work Ok and I hot glued the little piece to the top. The one thing that did not impress me was the small cover piece did not fit snug. Thats Ok though just me be a perfectionist. Here are some pics and a short video of the bench test.

Attachments

• all done front.JPG
    all done front.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 32
  • All done side.JPG
    All done side.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 40
  • all done top.JPG
    all done top.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 27

Fishbonez

I fear she will never look this good again. LOL I am now debating if I want to put some packing tape around the nos and wings

Fishbonez

Crud weather report for the area is wind, wind and some more wind
Hope to maiden soon but not in 30-50 MPH winds

earthsciteach

Ugh. Same here, today. I'm hoping for flying weather tomorrow. If all goes well (meaning I don't fall asleep in the next hour), I'll be maidening the eyeball 1.5 tomorrow!

Fishbonez

Maiden

OK today was the day I maiden my Stinger. :cool: Pucker factor began at a level of 10, 10 being the max, as I was nervous as .!@$% Though it did not come out on the video the first hand launch did no go well at all. Here is what happened we hand launched with the wind and I don’t think she was not able to suck enough air to get any lift. Now I know Fish what were you thinking you violated rule number one of flying. :confused: Here is the method to our madness at the time, the wind was blowing out of the SW at approximately 5mph. Problem was it was also directly inline with the sun and there is a Parking Lot with in 50 yards of where we were standing and we feared that I might lose it in the sun right from the start and possibly ram it right into the parking lot smashing the plane with in seconds. :eek: We tried Yea No. :rolleyes: So we tried a launch just off to the left but still into the wind. That worked, pucker factor is now at a 11.5, 10 is max did I just shart? I will say I don’t care what anyone says this plane gets up and goes! Amazingly she only needed a little up elevator to get her trimmed. The only problem was I could not get to the trim button fast enough. Thanks to my buddy Larry he came to the rescue and reached over and hit it for me for he could see I was not reaching it in time. Pucker factor is now back down to 11, 10 is the max get an ambulance, she flew great but after about a minute into the flight I lost control of her and my mind and she nosed into the ground. Post crash analysis revealed that there was to much throw in the servos. I can only blame myself it seems that when this plane comes out of the box the control rods are connected to the control horns in the middle hole, I failed to check that I just assumed they were in the first hole, another lesson for Bonez. IMHO this is a great plane and I loved the thrill and rush it gives you. I think it will make a great first time EDF, I hope I just did not jinx it. However like in a chess game you have to think 2-3 moves ahead or it will get ahead of you very quickly as it did me. Please enjoy the video and thanks to Larry for launching and coaching me through it and Thanks to my daughter for video for me. As you can see she is far better than me. Stay tuned for another flight report after repairs. Oh by the way anyone know of a foam stretcher for the nose? Oh…shucks. Well a bit of glue and some straightening she will be up hopefully again this weekend weather permitting.and I can not wait. :cool:

earthsciteach

Congrats in getting her in the air!

Foam stretcher for the nose: Heat a pot of water to almost boiling. Dip the nose in for a few seconds. The heat will expand the foam without melting it. It won't be perfect, but it does do a pretty decent job. You may have to pull it a bit to get it back into shape.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Congratulations on the maiden . . its always hard :)

Foam stretcher for the nose: Heat a pot of water to almost boiling. Dip the nose in for a few seconds. The heat will expand the foam without melting it. It won't be perfect, but it does do a pretty decent job. You may have to pull it a bit to get it back into shape.

I didn't know that . . hopefully I never need to use this tip :)

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Congrats on getting her going bonez ,nothing more exciting/scary/frustrating/disappointing/exhilarating than a maiden thanks for sharing....keep flying

Fishbonez

Thanks everyone. This is going to be a fun plane. Definitly dont buy it for the color scheme because paint and sticks do not stay as soon as the plane touches anything besides air.
Teach I had not idea you could stretch foam I am going to try that out today. I was kidding about a foam stretcher kinda like a bolt stretcher :cool: Joke is on me now.

Fishbonez

Congrats on getting her going bonez ,nothing more exciting/scary/frustrating/disappointing/exhilarating than a maiden thanks for sharing....keep flying

Yes I love to hate it. Phew Now that I have hit the ground with it pucker factor will drop to about an 8 :D

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Haha :D nice story with the pucker factor.

Congrats for the maiden nad god luck with your next flights :D

I flew mine again last Saturday. I finally got my radio back after killing it with a lipo and spent about an hour Friday night reprogramming a couple of planes including this one. I also set this one up to function with flaperons. After an almost disastrous toss I was able to have a little fun and play with the flaperon settings. Still needs more fine tuning but I landed with partial flap extension(about 10%) and it really seemed to help slow this bird down. Fish, make sure you have tons of expo on those ailerons. It can get out of hand quick. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Jay
P.S. I use my wife's hair dryer to help re-align damaged foam. I tried the hot water trick but it can really cause the foam cells to puff. The hair dryer will too but it seems easier to control.