• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

stock market

So I've been pondering for a little while now about doing the stock market. I know nothing about it, but willing to do some research it before taking the plunge. I was even thinking today that it'd be kinda funny to invest in Dollar Tree since we all love our foamboard.

Anybody here do anything with the stock market or advice on getting started?

d8veh

I've had reasonable success with the stock market. You have to look at it as a very long-term investment. I put in something like £12,000 in 2001. Since then, I've taken out £12,000 twice and i still have £17,000 worth of shares in the account. I bet mainly on the shares that pay the highest dividend, but I have about 25% invested in companies that I think have a chance of growing. One important thing I learnt the hard way: do not take any notice of what's recommended in the investment columns. In many cases, the companies are in trouble and the big investors want to sell their shares. They can only do that if they have buyers. It can be a good sign when directors of the company are buying shares in it, but you have to follow carefully to make sure it's not a trick.

The whole thing is a bit of a game. Don't put your life savings in, but if you have spare cash, it's a pretty good long-term bet.

PsyBorg

Fly Angry
Mentor
I wanted to get into the market back when I was working but got hurt just before the point I had finaces set and had extra funds.

There were softwares just coming out that you could use to track markets at home. I am sure they are even better today.

Just be aware of what is promoted and as d8veh says stay away as to even get to where they woukd pysh a stock like that a lot of wheelin and dealin has already been done and you would just be funding someone elses quick gains.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
So I've been pondering for a little while now about doing the stock market. I know nothing about it, but willing to do some research it before taking the plunge. I was even thinking today that it'd be kinda funny to invest in Dollar Tree since we all love our foamboard.

Anybody here do anything with the stock market or advice on getting started?
I know a thing or two. I recommend that you become familiar with The Motley Fool. They will make you financially literate if you apply yourself. I suggest that you start with the 13 steps here. Pay close attention to the concept of dollar cost averaging. Particularly now. The current bull market has been running hard for a long time and valuations are stretched IMNSHO.