Student in Need of Help

Josie

Hi,
I'm a 16 year old student in year 10 that is currently working through the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme. In the last year of the programme we have to set up a project for us to complete and for my final project I decided I wanted to work with RC planes, but I don't know much about the subject.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few questions about what materials are needed, the basics of creating RC planes and questions such as these. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just some advice. I'm in need of a mentor to guide me through this project and subject since it is not a subject I know a lot about.

If anyone could help me with this, I would be most thankful.

Best wishes,
Josie

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Hi,
I'm a 16 year old student in year 10 that is currently working through the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme. In the last year of the programme we have to set up a project for us to complete and for my final project I decided I wanted to work with RC planes, but I don't know much about the subject.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few questions about what materials are needed, the basics of creating RC planes and questions such as these. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just some advice. I'm in need of a mentor to guide me through this project and subject since it is not a subject I know a lot about.

If anyone could help me with this, I would be most thankful.

Best wishes,
Josie

If you look around this forum as well as the Flitetest site, I'm sure you'll find answers to the questions above. If you have anything in specific, just ask.

Generally, we use foamboard and hot glue to build airframes, and generic electric power systems for the motor.

Josie

If you look around this forum as well as the Flitetest site, I'm sure you'll find answers to the questions above. If you have anything in specific, just ask.

Generally, we use foamboard and hot glue to build airframes, and generic electric power systems for the motor.

Thank you so much

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Getting started as cheap as possible
A post I did a while back covering how to get started cheaply
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hey.64214/#post-586707

Flite Test has a YouTube 'basics' play list
which should cover the various bits of knowledge related to getting started
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

Here is the build video for the Tiny Trainer
(the one recommended in the getting started post)

6 tips for a successful first flight:

if you want to get into designing your own models (recommended to get to where you can fly something that is known to fly well first), some good references are here:

Josie

Getting started as cheap as possible
A post I did a while back covering how to get started cheaply
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hey.64214/#post-586707

Flite Test has a YouTube 'basics' play list
which should cover the various bits of knowledge related to getting started
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

Here is the build video for the Tiny Trainer
(the one recommended in the getting started post)

6 tips for a successful first flight:

if you want to get into designing your own models (recommended to get to where you can fly something that is known to fly well first), some good references are here:

Thank you so much, another question regarding the supplies needed for the creation of the plane. Would me using different propellers change how the plane flies? Which type of propeller is best for RC planes and if you can, what is the ideal shape for the airfoil?

danskis

Master member
What country do you live in? It makes a difference because different materials are available in different countries.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thank you so much, another question regarding the supplies needed for the creation of the plane. Would me using different propellers change how the plane flies? Which type of propeller is best for RC planes and if you can, what is the ideal shape for the airfoil?
There is no one prop that is “best” for everything. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to fly fast, use a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop. If you want to produce more thrust, use a larger diameter, shallow pitch prop.

A 10x4 prop has a 10 inch diameter and a 4 in pitch. It will, in theory more forward 4 inches in each revolution.

Last edited:

JasonK

- the 'best prop' depends on the engine, airplane, desired flight performance, etc.
- ideal shape for an airfoil also varies based on the airplane, desired flight performance, etc.

a good starter airfoil for RC aircraft is the flight test one (see the Tiny Trainer build video), otherwise something like one of the clark airfoils (http://airfoiltools.com/search/index) is good place to start for a non-acrobatic craft (IIRC clark y is commonly recommended). However, unless your hot wire cutting or building your wing via balsa/skinning, getting that exact shape would be hard. both of those techniques are more challenging then a basic folded foam-board wing.

likely the easiest airfoil to make are some of the KFm-step wings (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/kfm-wings-a-basic-explanation). a KFm-2 wing is fairly easy to make.

Josie

There is no one prop that is “best” for everything. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to fly fast, use a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop. If you want to produce more thrust, use a larger diameter, shallow pitch prop.

A 10x4 prop has a 10 inch diameter and a 4 in pitch. It will, in theory more forward 4 inches in each revolution.

Thank you, if in theory I wanted to fly as fast as possible, what kind of a motor, transmitter and battery would be most fitting to use? Since you said a smaller plane would fly faster, would the motor, transmitter and battery have to be scaled down too?

Josie

- the 'best prop' depends on the engine, airplane, desired flight performance, etc.
- ideal shape for an airfoil also varies based on the airplane, desired flight performance, etc.

a good starter airfoil for RC aircraft is the flight test one (see the Tiny Trainer build video), otherwise something like one of the clark airfoils (http://airfoiltools.com/search/index) is good place to start for a non-acrobatic craft (IIRC clark y is commonly recommended). However, unless your hot wire cutting or building your wing via balsa/skinning, getting that exact shape would be hard. both of those techniques are more challenging then a basic folded foam-board wing.

likely the easiest airfoil to make are some of the KFm-step wings (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/kfm-wings-a-basic-explanation). a KFm-2 wing is fairly easy to make.

Thank you, if i could ask another question, what type of materials should I use for the exterior of the plane, I wanted to create something by hand. Would foam board work? If so, what size would be best for me to use?

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Thank you, if in theory I wanted to fly as fast as possible, what kind of a motor, transmitter and battery would be most fitting to use? Since you said a smaller plane would fly faster, would the motor, transmitter and battery have to be scaled down too?

If you are new to rc flight and still learning, DO NOT GO FAST! In fact, go as slow as possible. It gives you more reaction time, which you need a lot of as a beginner. Once you are confident in your flying abilities, then you can make a fast plane. I find that the best motors, batteries, etc. to use are ones that have similar specifications to the ones in the recommended power pack. Bigger planes usually handle better, so if you have lots of wind in your area, a larger size plane is usually the way to go. My favorite trainer is the FT Explorer, because the propellor is protected.

If you do want to fly really fast, first calculate the size of prop you will be using. From that, you can calculate all of the other things like motor and battery. It's really helpful to copy existing electronics setups, as the hard work is already done for you.

danskis

Master member
The best way to do this is start with one of the plans you can download for free. Download and print the tiny trainer plans. Watchthe build video several times. You will probably use a foam board called Depron. See if you can find some Depron where you live. You want 5mm Depron. Dont worry about anything else. If you want to fly it yourself you'll need to start using an online simulator now.

Josie

The best way to do this is start with one of the plans you can download for free. Download and print the tiny trainer plans. Watchthe build video several times. You will probably use a foam board called Depron. See if you can find some Depron where you live. You want 5mm Depron. Dont worry about anything else. If you want to fly it yourself you'll need to start using an online simulator now.

Okay, thank you so much

Josie

If you are new to rc flight and still learning, DO NOT GO FAST! In fact, go as slow as possible. It gives you more reaction time, which you need a lot of as a beginner. Once you are confident in your flying abilities, then you can make a fast plane. I find that the best motors, batteries, etc. to use are ones that have similar specifications to the ones in the recommended power pack. Bigger planes usually handle better, so if you have lots of wind in your area, a larger size plane is usually the way to go. My favorite trainer is the FT Explorer, because the propellor is protected.

If you do want to fly really fast, first calculate the size of prop you will be using. From that, you can calculate all of the other things like motor and battery. It's really helpful to copy existing electronics setups, as the hard work is already done for you.

How big should my first build be? Where I live there isn't much wind, or strong winds of any kind very often. Would less wind impact the plane's flight?

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
How big should my first build be? Where I live there isn't much wind, or strong winds of any kind very often. Would less wind impact the plane's flight?

Not much, it's just easier to learn without wind. Have you had a look at the flitetest store? under the "resources" tab on each foamboard plane is pdf plans that you can print and cut. I would recommend any of the FT simple series (FT simple cub, simple scout, explorer, tiny trainer) for a foamboard plane.

JasonK

Thank you, if i could ask another question, what type of materials should I use for the exterior of the plane, I wanted to create something by hand. Would foam board work? If so, what size would be best for me to use?

Adam's Ready board is what is recommended here in the US, it is about 115g per 20 in x 30 in sheet and about 5mm think, with paper on both sides. That is what the Flite test plans are designed to be made with.

If you don't have that were your at, Depron (5mm) is often used and I believe is more available in Europe, this will need to be skinned with packing tape on the outside of your craft.

Please take a look at the beginner's play list I linked above and at least one of the Flite test build videos, those should answer a whole lot of your questions.

Josie

Adam's Ready board is what is recommended here in the US, it is about 115g per 20 in x 30 in sheet and about 5mm think, with paper on both sides. That is what the Flite test plans are designed to be made with.

If you don't have that were your at, Depron (5mm) is often used and I believe is more available in Europe, this will need to be skinned with packing tape on the outside of your craft.

Please take a look at the beginner's play list I linked above and at least one of the Flite test build videos, those should answer a whole lot of your questions.

Okay, thank you

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Hi,
I'm a 16 year old student in year 10 that is currently working through the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme.
Hey! I used to go to an international school in Fiji! It used IB too. Back in me home country though, and glad about it!

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Uhhh. I would stray away from depron since it is the current foam that I have and it sucks. Readi board or or some kind of papered foamboard would be very preferable.