Super simple toilet paper roll foamboard b-52 stratofortress

After three weeks of designing, measuring, schoolwork, lacrosse practice, and microquad v.1 testing...
Here is the nose I designed. :applause: Unfortunately I did not take many pictures while designing this thing to be easy to build.

First nose I designed before I attached the bottom of it (used the wrong fold)

WP_20170912_001.jpg

Size of Simple Stratofortress with finalized nose compared to my eFlite 1.1m T-28 and my cargo plane (wings are not attached to the Stratofortress)

WP_20170916_17_10_27_Pro.jpg

Final version nose removed to expose the tabs that hold it in place (sorry for vertical picture)

WP_20170916_17_10_48_Pro.jpg

Cutting out the separate bottom part of nose

WP_20170916_18_28_40_Pro.jpg

The finalized nose. I reinforced it with tape to make it strong in an "oops" moment

WP_20170916_20_38_59_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 4 day weekend and I went on a little LHS shopping spree, sooo...:cool:

Now I can finally work on this thing again. :)

It runs off a 1300 3S LiPo by the way

Larger elevator control surfaces (lol I didn't notice the finger until I posted :p)

WP_20171106_19_53_15_Pro.jpg

Electronics setup (I'm cutting elevator servo slots right now, don't worry ;))

WP_20171109_16_11_06_Pro.jpg

Fuselage reinforcement I did back in September (friend told me to do this, wasted 3 sticks of hot glue to try to get it right :p)

WP_20170925_001.jpg
WP_20170930_13_18_03_Pro.jpg

Smeared hot glue over the two tabs that holds the nose in place in order to make the nose grip on better to the tabs

WP_20170930_13_18_43_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This looks like fun. Keep it up! I've always wondered what I should do with all these toilet paper roll cores. :)

Added the sticks that hold the wing and made a hatch that lifts up to expose the receiver, in case if I need to bind.

WP_20171110_001.jpg

Now all I need to do is to make the control horns and connect the rods to the servos. :D

Last edited:
Problem with the plane, does anybody know how to solve it?

After I fitted the linkages yesterday, I plugged in the battery to center them (they were successfully centered by the way :D). As I connected the transmitter, the plane kept beeping and I had control of the elevator, but the programming for the elevons did not seem to do anything so they were ailerons. I had throttle control however. I turned off the transmitter in fear something bad will happen, but right when I turned it off, it made the binding sound. I then turned on the transmitter again because I thought it had binded with the airplane. It barely had control of the aileron servos. The motor instantly went to full throttle, but I had my prop off because I remembered hearing about a friend at my nearby club getting his hand cut badly after his fantasy flyer went to full throttle while he was doing a control surface test. I could not control the motor. I unplugged the battery in fear of doing damage to my ESC. In the entire process, the rudder servo did not bulge, even though it was plugged into the receiver and I tried applying rudder. This was the second time this happened, although during the first time this happened a week or two ago, the rudder servo moved and stayed in that position ever since (don't worry I also took off the prop ;)). Had anybody ever had this happen to them, and does anybody know what happened?

- TurtlesThatFly

Last edited:

Sotm

After I fitted the linkages yesterday, I plugged in the battery to center them (they were successfully centered by the way :D). As I connected the transmitter, the plane kept beeping and I had control of the elevator, but the programming for the elevons did not seem to do anything so they were ailerons. I had throttle control however. I turned off the transmitter in fear something bad will happen, but right when I turned it off, it made the binding sound. I then turned on the transmitter again because I thought it had binded with the airplane. It barely had control of the aileron servos. The motor instantly went to full throttle, but I had my prop off because I remembered hearing about a friend at my nearby club getting his hand cut badly after his fantasy flyer went to full throttle while he was doing a control surface test. I could not control the motor. I unplugged the battery in fear of doing damage to my ESC. In the entire process, the rudder servo did not bulge, even though it was plugged into the receiver and I tried applying rudder. This was the second time this happened, although during the first time this happened a week or two ago, the rudder servo moved and stayed in that position ever since (don't worry I also took off the prop ;)). Had anybody ever had this happen to them, and does anybody know what happened?

- TurtlesThatFly
You need to re-bind that receiver and start all over with your programming. Also why did you mention elevons? A B52 does NOT have elevons. I know I used to be a crew chief on them in the airforce.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Perhaps he isn't doing this build perfectly scale? A few of us do that from time to time... :p

i'm back

You need to re-bind that receiver and start all over with your programming. Also why did you mention elevons? A B52 does NOT have elevons. I know I used to be a crew chief on them in the airforce.

One of the reasons why I built this plane was to test out elevons and rudders on a "conventional" layout, instead of a wing. I hadn't posted on this forum for a while because I went to china for winter break and I was celebrating the holidays. I also did not bother checking this forum for a long time. I also figured out how to correctly program it and I am going to finish programming it by my three day weekend :cool: and attaching the linkages for the rudder :rolleyes:. It's pretty cool to have someone who actually worked on a B-52 come here and post on this thread :).

So where's the new pictures? We want to see progress!

:applause:

Coming riiiiiiight up! :D

Here's a couple of blurry pictures of it put all together

WP_20180113_16_19_10_Pro.jpg

in this picture you can see the CF spar underneath the wing
WP_20180113_16_19_16_Pro.jpg

I will install the rudder control rods tonight (If anybody also knows what a good airplane weight is, please reply :))

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FTF-March Madness ENTRY 6

Welcome back and to the FTF March madness challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing this finish up!

Last edited:
Flight Report

The rather brief maiden flight and others after it until it crashed all occurred on 4/9/18 btw

WP_20180409_20_18_54_Pro[1].jpg

Name of aircraft: Special of the Week
Damage:#1 Pylon warped/broke off, Elevator hanging on the paper of the foam board, some mud on the nose
Throttle range during the flight 50-85%
repairable? Yes
Number of flights: Five I think
Payload: 8 1/4 oz self adhesive lead weights from Great Planes, a roll of Scotch tape (3rd flight and beyond), and scissors (I'm not sure how that ended up in the nose)

Summary
The maiden flight was brief, but it gave me enough time that I can get used to it's flight characteristics. The plane flew at what looked like a 10-15 degree angle, a much larger difference than the expected 5 degree angle.

How it felt flying the thing
While flying the plane, I felt comfortable and scared at the same time because the plane was flying but at a higher angle and faster speed than I expected :p

Fun fact: It was going to be named Promo Price but due to the shortage of promo price stickers at QFC and among the kids at my school, I got a special of the week sticker from them instead :p

There ya go ;)

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Glad to hear she's repairable - hope to see it back in the air soon!

and scissors (I'm not sure how that ended up in the nose)
- funny - sounds like one of those surgical mishaps where they discover years later that they left something inside a patient.

DamoRC