Suppo problem, noise.

altitudehobbies

Altitude Hobbies
Hey, guys -- we're in contact with Suppo's engineers and they are looking into it. In the meantime, we don't want you all to be grounded, so for anyone having this issue we will gladly replace the Suppo 30A with a ZTW Mantis 25A or 35A at no additional charge (while supplies last on the ZTW ESCs). Send us an email at support@altitudehobbies.com and we will arrange the replacement ASAP.

Garret @ Altitude

altitudehobbies

Altitude Hobbies
Hey, everyone -- I just went and hooked up a brand new motor and ESC from our latest batch of Suppos. Here's my findings:

I first hooked it all up on the bench with no prop. At first, I was not able to replicate the issue. However, after playing with the throttle for a while, it started making the grinding noise. So, I decided to mount it to a test stand and put a prop on it. I ran it up for probably 2 minutes without a single issue -- I ran it up to full, back down to low....up to half, back down....then let it run at about 10% then back down (since most issues have been reported at low throttle). I cycled the throttle over and over and never had it lose timing. I thought either the new batch or prop being on the motor might have fixed it, but then the first issue finally came when I ran the throttle hard up to 1/4 then back to zero then back to 1/4 a couple times without allowing the motor time to spool down. After doing that about three times, it finally lost timing and shut off. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHWEVNs7hs&feature=youtu.be

So, my finding is that, as earlier speculated, this is a timing issue. I tried this with a 2217-950 motor as had the same problem. I'm going to send this info to Suppo and hopefully they can fix whatever is messed up in the firmware.

Garret

Last edited:

saiga556

Full of...
Took a chance and tried flying my triangle noob tube inspired plane with the messed up esc. The combo had plenty of power. The 9x6e prop gave some good speed into the wind and almost gave me vertical. With a 10x5 prop I had all the vertical that my skill level could handle.

Everything was going real good and I was really learning a lot. Then a wind gust accompanied by some throttle and elevator from me sent the plane straight up. In a slight panic I chopped the throttle. The plane stalled and went into about a 80 degree dive. At this time the plane was still high enough that with some throttle and some elevator I think it would have pulled out of it. Here is were it went all wrong. I had no throttle. This panicked me even more and none of my control inputs made the situation any better.

My plane was just like a lawn dart. A really flimsy lawn dart. Luckily all that it damaged was foam board. Everything else looks ok.

No more flying for me till I get everything working correctly. Time to start building a new trainer.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey, everyone -- I just went and hooked up a brand new motor and ESC from our latest batch of Suppos. Here's my findings.........Garret

Now, this is customer service! The fact that he took the time to test the setup and post a video says a lot about this company and the value they place on their customers.

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
Hi, everyone -- just a quick update. Suppo tested the setup themselves and they claim they found the issue. They are going to send us replacements ASAP, but in the meantime we are still happy to replace them with ZTW ESCs. For those experiencing this issue who have not yet emailed us, send us an email to support@altitudehobbies.com

Thanks,
Garret

Blackbeltrrf

I am having the same problem. I was using a suppo motor and a non-suppo ESC from an old Hobbyzone P-26 I had so I didn't really know what was doing it so I bought a new Suppo motor and when it arrived I put it with the 30 amp Suppo ESC I had bought a couple of months ago but have never used it. I thought this fixed the problem but when I took it out to the field it did the same thing. All is well unless I completley throttle down and I get an intermittent little grind sound and then no throttle unless I power down removing the battery and start over.

jaskoller

So you got this without a suppo ESC first?

I am having the same problem. I was using a suppo motor and a non-suppo ESC from an old Hobbyzone P-26 I had so I didn't really know what was doing it so I bought a new Suppo motor and when it arrived I put it with the 30 amp Suppo ESC I had bought a couple of months ago but have never used it. I thought this fixed the problem but when I took it out to the field it did the same thing. All is well unless I completley throttle down and I get an intermittent little grind sound and then no throttle unless I power down removing the battery and start over.

So you were getting the issue with a Suppo motor and a NON-Suppo ESC?

Unfortunately I used my Suppo ESC this weekend and let someone fly my bloody wonder, with the warning "do not throttle all the way down or you may lose throttle". Needless to say I had to dig my motor and what was left of the BW out of the mud. Well, time to rebuild. Really my fault as I wanted to fly pretty bad this weekend so I used a product I knew was malfunctioning. Lesson learned I guess (though I'd probably do it again in the same circumstances!)

Blackbeltrrf

So you were getting the issue with a Suppo motor and a NON-Suppo ESC?

Unfortunately I used my Suppo ESC this weekend and let someone fly my bloody wonder, with the warning "do not throttle all the way down or you may lose throttle". Needless to say I had to dig my motor and what was left of the BW out of the mud. Well, time to rebuild. Really my fault as I wanted to fly pretty bad this weekend so I used a product I knew was malfunctioning. Lesson learned I guess (though I'd probably do it again in the same circumstances!)

Yes I was getting it with my Suppo motor and the 10 + 10 esc from an p26 peashooter. Now new motor and new esc and still doing it. I will post a video of what it is doing if I get a chance tonight

saiga556

Full of...
My suppo motor or has been working flawlessly with the Turnigy ae-30 esc that I just received. The Turnigy also has more adjustments, one of which is adjustable soft start. I like to have full power without delay which was not possible with the suppo.

Garret is sending me a Mantis esc and I will be sending him back both of the Suppo esc's that he sent me. I hope they get it fixed for all the rest of you. I may not buy another suppo esc but I will definitely buy from Altitude Hobbies in the future.

saiga556

Full of...
You're videos shows the same suppo esc we have and yes it's doing the same thing. I thought that from your post you had a different esc.

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
We just got in the new batch of ESCs which Suppo said they fixed

....and.......

We just tested them and everything is working perfectly. We were unable to replicate the issue.

So, we have a fresh batch of ESCs....anyone who received a faulty ESC can return it to us at the following address:

Altitude Hobbies
1630 Sagewood Dr.
Fort Collins, CO 80525

Please include a note with the ESC saying you received a faulty unit from the last batch, and we will send you a replacement.

Thanks,
Garret, Owner @ Altitude Hobbies

jaskoller

BIG Thanks! Altitude Hobbies is where it's at!

We just got in the new batch of ESCs which Suppo said they fixed

....and.......

We just tested them and everything is working perfectly. We were unable to replicate the issue.

So, we have a fresh batch of ESCs....anyone who received a faulty ESC can return it to us at the following address:

Altitude Hobbies
1630 Sagewood Dr.
Fort Collins, CO 80525

Please include a note with the ESC saying you received a faulty unit from the last batch, and we will send you a replacement.

Thanks,
Garret, Owner @ Altitude Hobbies

Garret, I want to thank you for having such a "hands on" approach to an issue your customers were having. There are very few companies doing that these days, and willing to post a problem online (or respond to one) for fear of gaining a bad name. What you have done here is just the opposite. There are several people reading this thread thinking "man, I'd do business with them!"... Good job, and thank you. I had a chance to test out the ESC you sent me (between thunderstorms) and it works great, so I'll be sending my suppo esc to you as soon as I can get to the post office. Thank you again for your effort to correct this and your quick product turnaround and testing to get us back in the air.