Swappable Super Cub(ish) Trainer - Super easy flying!

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
All right kids, the time has come. We're up to 10 versions now and I think this thing is finally ready to make public.

I've been flying RC for about 3 months, and so far everything has been Flite Test planes. Granted, I'm still a noob, but never-the-less, I wanted to try my hand at scratch building something that I designed myself. Lately it seems everyone is building cargo planes, so I made a cub variant instead. I also have a lot of younger nieces and nephews, and wanted something they could fly with me (on a buddy box if necessary).

Some details about the build:

It's 2 sheets of Dollar Tree foam board.
4 Channel (in tail dragger config), 5 chl (in trike config, if you want steerable nose wheel).
Uses typical FT swappable power pod and parts (I cut mine short so it fits better, and cuts down on weight).
15 oz (without battery)
36" wing span
22" fuselage (if you count the ele/rud sticking out the back)
Probably possible to set up as tail-dragger, or with tricycle gear.
I like to run a NTM 28/26 1200kv slinging a 7x6 APC SF prop (powers it great and nothing even gets warm). I use the 18A plush ESC and the typical FT favorite 9g cheap blue servos.
Decorated with Tape Brothers red and black packing tape and a bunch of random decals i download and printed on regular paper and affixed with 3M spray adhesive.

This thing flies like it's on rails. Super smooth and easy flying! VERY forgiving on low rates with expo, and agile, fun, and acrobatic on med/high rates. It'll fly as slow as you want to take it (30% throttle, no problem). Super gentle stall (soft nose over is all you'll see). The "stolen from FT" wing tip under-camber design means it doesn't wing-tip stall on slow landings or passes. It'll do some impressive acro as well in high-rates.. Rolls are beautiful, loops are also easy. Inverted is nearly hands off. You can even get it to harrier and knife-edge (kinda). If you're not careful with making sure your gear is straight it'll ground loop something awful (in tail-dragger configuration). Just make sure your gear is straight and slightly toe-in, and give a little rudder correction and it'll lift off in just a few feet with little to no elevator input. I'd love to see this plane with that new AS3X receiver that Spektrum just released. I'll bet it'd fly even more forgiving.

This version has been dressed up in a quazi-USAF scheme, and before you all start barking, I know I've decorated this without regard to any kind of scale or rules, or patterns. I just put on some stuff for fun, so we'll just leave it at that.

If there's interest, plans can be made available.

Update! Here's the plans. Keep in mind, there are some small random details that are not included in the plans (servo placement in the tail, cutouts for aileron control horns, etc.) that I'm expecting you to know if you've built any of the FT planes. I'll try to include some detailed photos of how I've done things so you can copy if you like.

Cub Trainer Wing v5 - pdf

Cub Trainer Body/Tail v10 - pdf

Please comment, give suggestions about things I can improve, and let me know what you think! :) I'll soon post links to youtube videos of the maiden and followup flights (gotta edit them first).

20141220_032317.jpg 20141220_032328.jpg 20141220_032355.jpg 20141220_032415.jpg 20141220_032515.jpg 20141220_032551.jpg 20141220_032630.jpg

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Noob, riiiiiight.
I call witchcraft - see if it floats!

Fantastic looking plane.
I'm sure you'll be hounded for plans in 3 2 1......

Best regards,
PCH

T-Richard

yep :)

Plans! :p

Looks very polished, 2 sheets only? I think once I successfully kill one of my planes I'll transplant some gear and make this little plane. Looks great! What size Battries you run in it?

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
VERY nice
You don't need 5 channels for tricycle gear just the extra servo and a "Y" harness and plug into the rudder channel ... that is how I did it on my C-130. Just check out the servo direction before mounting them.

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
Noob, riiiiiight.
I call witchcraft - see if it floats!

Fantastic looking plane.
I'm sure you'll be hounded for plans in 3 2 1......

Best regards,
PCH

HAHA, promise. I've only been building/flying for 3 months. I am, however, a bit overly consumed whenever I get into a new hobby. I tend to go really big and annoy everyone around me. :)

Plans have been uploaded!

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
VERY nice
You don't need 5 channels for tricycle gear just the extra servo and a "Y" harness and plug into the rudder channel ... that is how I did it on my C-130. Just check out the servo direction before mounting them.

Good point! Sorry, that's the noob coming out in me. I actually haven't tried it in tricycle gear layout. I fly off grass a lot, and the tail dragger works really well in grass with those puffy tires.

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
yep :)

Plans! :p

Looks very polished, 2 sheets only? I think once I successfully kill one of my planes I'll transplant some gear and make this little plane. Looks great! What size Battries you run in it?

Thanks! Yep only 2 sheets. I get it printed on blueprint paper at Kinkos (about $3.00 p/sheet) and like to use a SUPER light coat of 3M spray adhesive, give it a few minutes to dry a little, and then just press it right to the foam. After I cut it out, the plans just peel back off without any issues.

I use a 3S 1300 battery. It helps balance the planes CG, and if I don't fly it hard, I can get 20-25 minutes out of it. It seriously flies forever.

T-Richard

Ok. So my slow fly "trainer" is heavy underpowered and lost a test of might against a school wall.... The electronics would work well in a plane of this size. I am printing the plans tomorrow and I'll build this week.

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
My first couple of versions of this plane flew similar to what you just described. Kind of like a brick. Anyway, I'm interested in knowing what your experience is. At this point, after having some time to fly this for a while, I'm actually in the process of changing a few more things. Might take me a minute to get them in the plans though so I'll just describe them if you're interested in adding them into your build.

* I've found it difficult to get enough weight in the nose without increasing the wing-loading too much to keep it flying like a trainer. Based on this, I would add about 1/4" to 1/2 inch to the nose so I can get battery, etc. a little bit farther forward.

* I want to increase the wing under-camber at the wing tips by 1 or even possibly 2 inches. In a steep turn it's actually very nice to a point, but when you cross the "line" it seriously drops like a rock. I think increasing the under-camber will help with this a lot.

* this change involves 2 things. I would like to increase the moment (space between the wings and where the tail starts) by 1 or 2 inches. This will cancel out the CG changes I'm doing to the nose a bit, so I would also put in some vent-like cut-outs in the bottom part of the fuse to help remove some of the weight in the tail. Increasing the moment means I can make the rud/ele a tiny bit smaller and they'll have the same influence on the aircraft as they would if they were bigger and the fuse was shorter. That will also save a bit of weight. The CG is critical on getting this plane to fly nicely.

* I think as much as I wanted this plane to stay mildly acrobatic (and therefore why I kept the wings flat), that goes against the purpose of a plane like this. So, all things considered, I will probably add 2 to 3 deg of dihedral to the wings. It's easy to do without changing the design. Run the individual wings (before they're joined) lightly over some sandpaper at a slight angle (like Josh does in the versawing build) then make a small piece of foam that will hold the wing at the angle you want while you glue them together. This will give you a HUGE boost in stability, especially in slow flight.

* Last, not least, the current version is a ground-looping-MONSTER in tail-dragger configuration. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the issue. My last resort is I'm going to give it tricycle gear. The nice thing about this change is that it will add nose weight, reduce tail weight, fix the ground loop issues, and make landings MUCH easier for the new(er) pilot. Making the nose a little longer, will give the necessary space to add the required servo/nose wheel (as I want it to stay steerable).

If you really wanted to reduce wing loading and make installing landing gear in tricycle format easier, ditch the FT power-pod altogether and just mount your firewall (and electronics) directly into the plane. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do on my next build of it. That change will add a nice vent in the bottom of the nose to allow air to move over your esc/battery nicely and then out the vent you add to the tail.

This plane is 99% there, and I love flying it, but I want it to be 100% so I'm still banging on the design. If you want to attempt these changes yourself, or just build it as-is, go for it and let me know how everything works out. Otherwise, I'm planning on changing the plans in the next week, and doing another build of it next weekend.

Good luck! :)

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
Here's a video of the maiden of the latest version. Sorry for the low quality, and that it's un-edited. Just posting the raw video so you can see the flight.

T-Richard

Hi,
Thanks for the detailed reply. The plane that crashed is my beginner plane I made for my girlfriend and friends to try their hand at flying. My friend was flying for the first time and just got too far and since it's sluggish on the controls it hit a school. Either way the plane was too heavy for the weak motor and I was using the plane as a test bed for openaero self leveling... sort of like a budjet edition beginner system.. it failed.

When I saw the size of this plane I though the elctronics would be a good match and was waiting for the chance to build a new plane. I'll be flying this one for now. I'll have to buy a beginner plane for friends that's more suitable or fix up a simple soarer and make that a trainer plane. So this is for me to have some fun. I'd say I am rather experienced as a builder. I have a building obsession/problem.

I am running out of space so the size is perfect for me. I will implement some of the changes you suggest. Mild dihedral, I'll add a thin wooden spar, I always do. I'll extend the nose. I'll bring the servos in the tail forward a bit to help with CG but not so much as to weaken the control linkage mechanism. Not sure about extending wing or tail YET... I like the flight crash rebuild process so if I like it I may build future versions of it. Venting will not be an issue for me yet. It's bitter cold where I live and the gear i'll use will be skis for now. I also have ideas on how to solve the ground loop so i'll try something and let you know if it works out. I am excited. I'll post some picture as I build

SlowPass

I really like the look of your cub. What is your technique for getting good clean pin striping out of the colored packing tape?