Swappable Super Cub(ish) Trainer - Super easy flying!

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
I really like the look of your cub. What is your technique for getting good clean pin striping out of the colored packing tape?

I have a big cutting mat and just lay down a strip of tape then use an exacto knife and straight edge and cut the shapes.

T-Richard

Build Progress. I had recveived parts for a small quad so I ended up building that last week but now unto this project. Here is some progress pictures
20150113_134258.jpg

I mounted the servos inside behind the spar and I added a small wooden spar.

20150120_131411.jpg

Wing and tail cut

20150120_132039.jpg

I am adding 1 cm of height and 1 cm of nose. Think it'll help balance give space for electronics and give it a slightly large windshield and nose to give it a nice cub look. I am looking to emulate the sport cub s2 look a bit, with more red.

More pictures to follow

desert wings

Foam Fan
So....If I were going to build one of your planes....which would you choose, the "Beast" or this "Super Cub-ish" trainer? Which do you like flying the most? Thanks for posting the plans by the way.

jedisalad

Mad Scratch Builder
So....If I were going to build one of your planes....which would you choose, the "Beast" or this "Super Cub-ish" trainer? Which do you like flying the most? Thanks for posting the plans by the way.

Um, that would depend on that you intended to do. I built the beast specifically for my FPV gear, and multi camera flights. Flying slow and predictable with really long flight times. I built the cub as a lawn chair flyer... something small, with detachable wings that you can keep in the car, and fly around at the park. The beast is huge, and barely fits in my truck, but it lifts a ton, and can fly really slowly. Oddly, both took about the same amount of time to build, but the cub is 2 sheets of foam, and the beast is 6. So, honestly, it really just depends on what you're after :)

T-Richard

The weather had me working on my multi rotor and indoor solutions. but I am back at it. Progress pic to follow tonight.

Hoping to maiden next week

T-Richard

SErvos are in and working just need motor ESC
Battery and landing gear. Have easy work days so likely complete by sunday

20150305_170713.jpg 20150305_133455.jpg

I'll film maiden with hat cam hopefully this Sunday if not early next week!

T-Richard

20150308_121303.jpg
20150308_112321.jpg
20150308_111435.jpg

Made a Battery mount as far forward as possible as I am using light battery and am not a fan of adding weight. It's balanced now at the spar with the 1000 3s. The landing gear is a bit flexy but the plane is quite light. I went a bit fast with this build, it's not my best wokr but overall I am excited and think it'll fly great.

Ready to maiden
likely late this afternoon I'll take it out. I'll put a few finishing touches on it beforehand.

flyboa

Elite member
I went a bit fast with this build, it's not my best wokr but overall I am excited and think it'll fly great.

I like fast builds. Sometimes you can get bogged down with the small details. My Storch only took me two days to build and flys great. I was also trying for a light build. Had to attach the 3S 460mA battery right below the motor to get the CG right. I might build the Cub next.

T-Richard

Maiden repot

Sadly no video until later this week. Batteries were dead in hat cam.

It was super windy but since there was 2 feet of snow I felt that crashes would be softened by that... and they were

It was a bit tail heavy so when i'd stall it would go into a death spiral, that happened more than once. A bit of down trim and staying below the tree line it flew great. It was unharmed and i'll try again this week with a bit more weight in front on a calm day and i'll post footage. So far my impressions are that it's a nice slow flying plane, seems docile enough. I'll kick up the rates and see what it can do next time

T-Richard

Didn't go great, but definitely better. I added more rudder mix after one of those "landings" and it got better.

I can add more mechanical differential but the thing I don't get is why when I loop it it goes into a crazy spiral. I also and perplex that before i reduced rudder travel to 40% it would go into a death spiral when I apply rudder.

Anyways, I'll make some more mods and see what happens this weekend.

Any input is much appreciated