Switchback Sport

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Another thought (wild-ass-guess) - I'm running a lower KV motor with a slow-fly prop. Maybe you're inducing some extra torque with your system?

jaredstrees

I'll give it a try this week with moving the battery forward. She did balance slightly nose heavy on the CG. Measured deflection was measured equal on rudder and ailerons. I'll have to double check the elevator. Deflection on ailerons is fine. The deflection on the elevator was greater than the manual called for. Might have been part of the issue, but she did act tail heavy. I haven't had a plane that was tail heavy for a while, so that didn't occur to me. Should have thought of it. I did use the stick mount with the kit as I had a mount for it and do not currently have any thrust angles built in.

I'll also check for flexing on the pushrods. Didn't think of that. I did not notice any flexing on final assembly.

I'll get her flying nice guys! Thanks for the input! Hopefully I get some nice weather this week as the wife and kids are out of town so I'll actually have time to fly!

jaredstrees

Repair on landing gear is complete. There was a small crack in the cowling as well that I repaired.

Upon inspection of the rudder and elevator I found both were binding. It was hard to tell sitting on the table, but enough that it may have played a roll under load. I trimmed a little of the slots where the push rods exit and it seemed to take care of it.

remaiden will come as soon as the weather is nice and I'm in town.

jaredstrees

She flies! Moved the CG forward 1/4" and fixed the binding on the tail surfaces and she flies well. This plane floats more than anything else I have right now. I thought that the simple scout was a pain to get back down but this plane just wants to float and float and float. It was getting gusty as there was a storm coming in. This plane does not like the wind. She was getting tossed around a bit, so I only got one flight in. The improvement over the maiden was significant. Now she's a plane that I'll want to fly on calm days.

There is video, but I just got a new laptop and haven't gotten any editing software on it yet, so that may be awhile. Plus it was just footage from a keychain cam on my hat. Not the best quality.

Thanks again for everyone's help!