T six or 9x

Noob

The 9x receiver does fit in my MXP 230. However, I am not fond of the 9x for 250 quad setup and the basic programming can be difficult and limiting. I have had a 9x for the last 3 years and it has been a great radio for me but as I am just getting into 250 quads and have had troubles with the 9x I am now looking for a different radio. See my post from yesterday for more details. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18814-New-Transmitter-Decision-Help

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
If you get the 9X you will be strongly encouraged to get an OrangeRX or FrSky module with it because the stock module will require you use bulky receivers that don't have failsafes. I have never used the Orange T-six, but it will allow you to use very small receivers with failsafe such as the lemon satellites. Not sure how good the programmability of the t-six is but I've heard the 9X flashed with OpenTX or ER9X is good. If you have some extra cash you can even invest now in a FrSky Taranis which will probably satisfy your hobby needs for a long time.

ZoomNBoom

The stock firmware of a 9x is all but unusable for multirotors. The RF module and receivers are crap. But a 9x with a frsky module and flashed with opentx/er9x is like a "taranis light". Fewer channels, dials and switches than a taranis, no voice (biggy imo) and limited telemetry functionality, but still extremely programmable and quite a decent radio for multirotors, especially if you use OSD. Problem is that flashing isnt easy, to put it mildly.

Another option would be the 9XR Pro, which solves most of the problems of the 9x (already runs opentx, has audio and telemetry) and is still cheaper. But I find you sacrifice a fair amount of functionality and quality compared to the taranis, for a modest financial gain.

My 2 cents; if you dont want to spend the money on a taranis (and be set for many years), then find a second hand 9X thats already flashed, and if you're lucky, perhaps has lcd backlight, audio, and telemetry mods installed.

T-Richard

My brother has the 9x I started with the T6

I love the T6, very easy to use and program. I have since gotten the 9xr for long range FPV stuff and even with the nice open software I find it hard to use compared to the t6

I vote T6

ZoomNBoom

Isnt the T6 a DSM2 only radio? I sure hope you dont love your planes or multirotors too much, or the electronics and camera's they might carry. Its about the crappiest protocol on the market (and Im amazed its still on the market). All the planes and craft Ive seen lost due to DSM2 RF issues would make a pile that would make anyone weep.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It is DSM2, but the protocol's strength will depend on the environment.

If you're in a relatively quiet environment (out in the country) it will perform no better, no worse than DSMX. If it's in a noisy environment (urban/suburban/festival), it *may* get shot down since it can't hop in freq after linking, but that depends on the location of the competition. I fly mostly with DSM2 and the *ONLY* time I've been shot down was at SEFF during the busiest part of the day. Even then, it only happened once.

As for the pile of foam, a HIGH percentage of the "shot down" claims against Spektrum are not for the protocol, but for the brown-out from overloading the UBEC -- that would apply evenly against DSM2 and DSMX. Admittedly their typical RX does brown out earlier than it should (newer versions are getting better), but if the builder followed the ESC's recommendations for servo loading and kept the ESC cool, they wouldn't have had the problems with brownout.

That being said, I would gladly recommend the T-Six for a trainer or fun-fly radio, but only for those. For a work or high-end-airframe radio, the Taranis is a great contender for it's price, with the only genuine complaints I've seen being the relative cheapness of the build (want better parts? buy a more expensive radio!) . . . but you'll easily spend twice as much for less capability.

finnen

I have flown with a T-six and a friend has the 9x. While the T-six is not perfect, I do prefer it over the 9x, at least in stock configuration. The 9x can be upgraded to a pretty good TX, but that will cost money and effort that honestly is better spent on getting a Taranis right away.

And as craftydan says, dsm2 isn't all that bad. I've been using it for years with no issues. DSMX is better in a congested RF environment, but other than that it's fine. I also like the fact that orange and lemon dsmx/dsm2 receivers are so cheap =)