Teaching myself to work with pink foam!

bstanley72

Inspired by you fine folks in the scratch build section, I’ve decided I want to try my hand as well. I’ve put together my fair share of helicopters, quads, ARF planes and Flite Test kits, but want to dive deeper! I was inspired by Wilsonman’s Bloody Ripper thread and decided to take the leap!

However, rather than jumping straight into a plane, I decided it would be a good idea teach myself to work with the foam (and an airbrush) on another project.

My son wanted something cool for his wall so we decided on Super Heros!

I like to spend time on Reddit and I know the etiquette there is finished shot first, which I always appreciate, so here are the first two we’ve completed:

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

Here’s a few shots from the road that got us to this point:

Bought a 4'x8'x2" sheet of XPS from Home Depot. They cut it down into 4 2'x'4 sections. I then fashioned a hot wire cutter and used my iCharger (it has a hot wire function) to power it. This allowed me to cut the foam into 1 and .5 inch thick sheets.

IMG_4548.jpg

I designed each piece on the computer (Illustrator) and then printed the templates out on thick photo paper on my roll printer at work. This created a nice template to trace the patterns onto the XPS:

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

I then used a hot wire "scroll saw" I bought from Hot Wire Foam Factory (I'll show it further down) to cut the pieces out:

IMG_4562.jpg

We’re going to complete six total, but decided to knock them out two at a time. I started with these two as I felt they would be the easiest. I’ve learned a lot, primarily by making mistakes. My biggest was not realizing and adjusting for how fragile the foam actually is. As I worked and sanded I would constantly groove the foam (foam, and later primer, clumping up on the sand paper and cutting into the surface) as well as pressing too hard on it while holding, making indents with my fingers. I would fill in the grooves with spackle, but then create more as I sanded it out. I finally became so frustrated that I went ahead and completed them. If you look at the photo below you can see the scratches and finger marks in the pieces.

The process on these was to sand the foam as smooth as I could, two coats of sanding sealer with more sanding in between, a coat of Polycrylic and then two coats of primer. I used an airbrush and latex paint from Lowes thinned a bit with water.

IMG_4661.jpg

For a first try I'm pleased at how they turned out. I'll probably redo them though.

The next two have gone much better so far. Wilsonman and a couple of other members gave me some pointers in his Bugatti 100P thread that have helped me out. I did a fair amount of wood working as a kid so I’m used to sanding wood, which is obviously a lot more durable than foam. I actually figured out the main source of damage was my pinky finger; I was letting it drag the foam while sanding with a sanding block.

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

Using a much lighter touch and keeping track of my pinky finger, I've been able to shape the foam with almost no dents or dings. I'm also careful to not apply too much pressure when holding the foam, and to use a foam scrap to hold the piece down while sanding it:

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

Practically no dings!:

IMG_4682.jpg

On these I've decided to use Wilsnonman's WBPU/Baby Powder technique he outlines in his fiberglass and foam thread. As a test on one I'm going to actually use fiberglass, on the other just paint the slurry on the foam, since these are going to be static displays, I'm thinking the glass is not necessary.

I've completed the square bases and I have to say initially I wasn't liking Wilsonman's method. I used sanding sealer mixed with the baby powder, the two together have a strong, unpleasant odor. Also, as expected, sanding it makes quite a mess. I was able to mitigate some of the mess using a downdraft table and a fan blowing over the surface, pointed to a box fan in the window.

However, after the smell and the mess I was amazed at the finish it provides. After a little sanding with 80 grit I went to 120, then 220 and finally 320 and it feels like glass. So I'm a believer!

Here is the finished base after sanding (not the best photo):

IMG_4711.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten. I hope to have primer down tomorrow and paint started on Monday. Will probably be next weekend or the next before these two will be done.

I'll update as I move along.

Hulk and Captain America are next!

bstanley72

Got the next two finished today! Tried to talk my son into doing the "S" backwards so we'd have Bizarro, but no dice :).

IMG_4713.jpg

bstanley72

Very nice!

Your P-40 thread is what inspired me to try and move beyond the ARF foamies and DTFB planes. Now that I've halfway figured out wire cutting and fiberglassing, I'm going to tackle Joshua's Bloody Ripper. After that I imagine I'll dive into something way over my head! :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This just made my day! Thank you so much for sharing! I really look forward to seeing what you do in the future. You are most certainly approaching this medium with the right attitude and taking things at your own pace. The Ripper will more than likely be a piece of cake for you after this prep work.

bstanley72

This just made my day! Thank you so much for sharing! I really look forward to seeing what you do in the future. You are most certainly approaching this medium with the right attitude and taking things at your own pace. The Ripper will more than likely be a piece of cake for you after this prep work.

Thanks for the kind words. Plan on starting the Ripper this weekend, provided I'm not in a turkey induced coma!