The HARD Questions!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I'd love to ask how you find the different sponsors... I feel from the HK episodes you have more freedom to creatively express yourselves. The episodes are more organic, more humerous, more 'Flitetest'. Of course there's always some influence from an external 'Hand', but I've always felt Flitetest is something that fits HK well (sense of cheap, accessible, fun thrills), where as the HZ ones are more clinical, heavily edited and a little... corporate. There seems to be lots of stuff you have to hide to keep the HZ sheen on their episode, rather than the Flitetest (and Stonekap productions) frivolity.

I have called a few potential sponsors like Hobby Lobby and HiTec, but Hobby King and Horizon both approached us first. It just took Horizon a lot longer to come on board.

I think most people would feel that your description of the differences between the two types of episodes are accurate.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Chad,
Can you and/or the other guys live from this activity ?
I mean, is it still 100% performed in your 'free' time though finacially sponsored by HK and HH?
What if this FliteTest project expands even further, aren't you afraid that it will conflict with your own company activities?

Snoggle

How much hours of work flow into one single episode? I mean this will vary depending on what type of episode it is and if its a review or just a flitetest tip and so on, but i just want some average or something. And i don't mean the actual video capture, i mean including preparations, post production, editing and so on.

And another question from the same category. How long in advance are the episodes produced? I mean for instance when did you shoot the Scimitar episode? Has it been done just in time for its realease or does the production of an episode happen some days/weeks before its actually "released"?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I have called a few potential sponsors like Hobby Lobby and HiTec, but Hobby King and Horizon both approached us first. It just took Horizon a lot longer to come on board.
I noticed there were only a couple or three episodes at the very beginning before we started seeing the sponsored by HK episodes. Was HK already on board before those episodes aired or did someone at HK stumble upon them and come up with the idea of sponsoring you? If not, how did HK and HH find you?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I wouldn't mind making a list of all the planes we built with our thoughts and a rating system. That's a good idea... it's just a lot of work right now. Ask me again in a couple of months.

you know, I hadn't put that much thought into it but that's a great idea.

I will answer this because I asked for it. BUT, if (and when) this spawns a discussion about God, faith or religion, I ask that it gets put in the proper forum like: http://flitetest.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?52-Behind-the-Field-Shed

Well, here goes...

I think the answer requires an understanding of the first line of your question: "If God is all powerful". When people refer to God as ALL powerful it's used to describe anything that we can comprehend. Most believe that God exists in a dimension outside of time and space yet, created anything and everything we can know in our lifetime.
Ultimately, by many beliefs, God is "good". This means He can't contradict Himself. So does that mean He's not all powerful? I think it means that our reality conforms to his wishes. So when He makes the rock... It is good." And if his desire is for it to be lifted, it is good. If His desire is for it not to be lifted, it is good.
Before all of that I don't think He would accept the request to be tested in that manner, therefor never needing to even try.

I hope you weren't expecting an easy answer :p

Great Answer! Now we know why your the president!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Chad,
Can you and/or the other guys live from this activity ?
I mean, is it still 100% performed in your 'free' time though financially sponsored by HK and HH?
It could compensate some of the crew full time. But the bigger problem is longer term security. There are no guarantees that we will continue to be sponsored.

Chad,
What if this FliteTest project expands even further, aren't you afraid that it will conflict with your own company activities?
We hope that it expands much further! It doesn't really conflict with my company. Flite Test is an internally developed show. Our intent was to grow it as much as necessary.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
How much hours of work flow into one single episode?
PRODUCTION:
We shoot anywhere from 1-6 episodes in one day, depending on the complexity. Josh and Josh do almost everything in one take (most of the time). Bixler and I usually have one prep day before each shoot. The most complex show we did was the "Breaking Glass" episode. I had to buy the scaffolding and the glass. Joab built the scaffold ahead of time while Bixler and I built the frame for the glass. Every plane you see on the show is built by Bixler, myself or David. I don't even want to count how many planes I built last year! And you guys don't even see many of the builds that don't even make it on the show... plus our personal builds.
The toughest one for me was the Avatar Gunship.

POST PRODUCTION:
An episode takes about one full day to edit. But Michael has been known to edit 2-3 in one day.

We run a tight ship and still have fun! I don't have any idea how all of this is possible... It just is :)

How long in advance are the episodes produced? I mean for instance when did you shoot the Scimitar episode? Has it been done just in time for its realease or does the production of an episode happen some days/weeks before its actually "released"?
The Scimitar was shot about a month ago. The T-28 with retracts will go live next Wednesday and we just shot it this past Sunday. I like to have 3-4 weeks in between shooting and release.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I noticed there were only a couple or three episodes at the very beginning before we started seeing the sponsored by HK episodes. Was HK already on board before those episodes aired or did someone at HK stumble upon them and come up with the idea of sponsoring you? If not, how did HK and HH find you?

No. We started with just an idea, hope and vision. The F4F, Taylorcraft, and DX8 were done as a test run. I just paid for these myself. After the F4F episode ran we immediately started getting e-mails and phone calls.

theKM

the *real* tough question... why didn't you guys come to the Ohio Huckfest that was in your back yard? :)

(hint: replying with "just couldn't fit it into the schedule" would be a lame answer, needs a more creative one... )

cheers,
Arron

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
the *real* tough question... why didn't you guys come to the Ohio Huckfest that was in your back yard? :)

(hint: replying with "just couldn't fit it into the schedule" would be a lame answer, needs a more creative one... )

cheers,
Arron

Ok then....
-Cost
-Schedule
-We were sick
-My dog died (2 years ago)
-I forgot how to fly for a week
-No AMA card
-Traveling to exotic locations

The bottom line... We can't go to every event. Sorry.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
While you are on that subject...

Any chance one or both of your sponsors will sponsor another road trip?
I really liked the California trip and the SEFF stuff.

You need a trip to Utah ;)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
What fly-ins/trade shows are you guys going to attend this year? It was great seeing coverage of the shows from last year you guys attended.

theKM

Ok then....
-Cost
-Schedule
-We were sick
-My dog died (2 years ago)
-I forgot how to fly for a week
-No AMA card
-Traveling to exotic locations

The bottom line... We can't go to every event. Sorry.

oh c'mon, creative!...

...I heard a rumor that it was mostly because Bixler was still delivering the ring to mount doom with Frodo. Seems unsubstantiated...

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
While you are on that subject...

Any chance one or both of your sponsors will sponsor another road trip?
I really liked the California trip and the SEFF stuff.

You need a trip to Utah ;)

Road trips are soooo hard. They cost a lot, they're stressful and we don't make any money. We still go to events, it's just hard to schedule the whole crew. Maybe if we get a TV show we'll have bigger budgets to do more with.

earthsciteach

When we all crash your back yard this summer for "flitetest flitefest," should we reserve a tent site ahead of time, or is it first come, first serve?

(I'm still working under the premise that if we say it is happening, it will happen!) ;)

sandblaster

When we all crash your back yard this summer for "flitetest flitefest," should we reserve a tent site ahead of time, or is it first come, first serve?

(I'm still working under the premise that if we say it is happening, it will happen!) ;)

In my neck of the woods, one cannot use your own personnel property to host such an event without paying homage to the local police state by going through an expensive, time consuming process and get a permit. (I really, really dislike our police state, called Lane County)