The "HydroJet" EDF Seaplane

leaded50

Legendary member
Started painting. Im "bored" to wait for EDF to show up...
First, whole plane was sprayed light grey. then blue on, and using free-hand lettering brush for the pattern.-

DSC_1191.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
painting did get well. Quite easy, when no conform lines needed :)
if just the EDF delivery was speeded up :rolleyes:. Well, have a fix for waterrudder to make.

Without the floats and lower wings, with wider "wingtips", it shure also would looked nice as "standard" Jet. Personally, i dont wanna miss the possibility to use on any surface, even water. .. and the box wings looks awesome.

DSC_1195b.png
DSC_1193b.png
DSC_1194b.png

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
I found sometimes depending on surface, that wheels could be nice have, and here i did glued in a tube trough the floats, for a wheelaxle if needed. Then i have possibilitys to mount a set of wheels, if wants.

DSC_1197.JPG

by water/snow rudder... the tailfin rudder gives faint function on a jet where it dont blows over directional surface. My original plan was to make a springloaded waterrudder at end of the rod sticking down under fuselage. That ss rod is going up into the tailfinrudder and turn with its movement. (yes, rudder do have got strong hinges to hold in place) With a springloaded hinged rudder, that would move upwards at harder surfaces, but press against ground, it would function as steering on land too.

The other idea, that looks more interesting, is to make sidevents into "exhaust" end ... and a rudderplate mounted on same ss rod inside thrust tube at rear, that will deflect airstream out sideways by rudder.
I will need some testing, to see if thats possible make with functionality of steering at ground.
DSC_1198.JPG

I found sometimes depending on surface, that wheels could be nice have, and here i did glued in a tube trough the floats, for a wheelaxle if needed. Then i have possibilitys to mount a set of wheels, if wants.

View attachment 210333

by water/snow rudder... the tailfin rudder gives faint function on a jet where it dont blows over directional surface. My original plan was to make a springloaded waterrudder at end of the rod sticking down under fuselage. That ss rod is going up into the tailfinrudder and turn with its movement. (yes, rudder do have got strong hinges to hold in place) With a springloaded hinged rudder, that would move upwards at harder surfaces, but press against ground, it would function as steering on land too.

The other idea, that looks more interesting, is to make sidevents into "exhaust" end ... and a rudderplate mounted on same ss rod inside thrust tube at rear, that will deflect airstream out sideways by rudder.
I will need some testing, to see if thats possible make with functionality of steering at ground.
View attachment 210334
If that's the pin for a thrust tube rudder, shouldn't it be farther toward the rear of the tube?
I love your process. You're thinking of everything. We don't always know the outcome, but we give it our best guess.

leaded50

Legendary member
If that's the pin for a thrust tube rudder, shouldn't it be farther toward the rear of the tube?
I love your process. You're thinking of everything. We don't always know the outcome, but we give it our best guess.

well, about "thrusttube inside rudder".. if i make sideopenings besides it, it will not matter, and also can direct the output-airstream more, than if behind..... I know a rudder behind function well.. but not wanted here (i believe) And thrusttube will not be much effected if inside at rear, or rear of the tube, its long enough correct sized anyway. Perhaps more restricted with full rudder output, the EDf will ayway be better than 1:1 in static thrust.
Its anyway easy to change out the last "exhaust" chromed part to test "direction rudder flow" there. Gonna go further with making the springloaded rudder under, till get the EDF installed and can test if rudder inside gives what thought about.

Last edited:
well, about "thrusttube inside rudder".. if i make sideopenings besides it, it will not matter, and also can direct the output-airstream more, than if behind..... I know a rudder behind function well.. but not wanted here (i believe) And thrusttube will not be much effected if inside at rear, or rear of the tube, its long enough correct sized anyway. Perhaps more restricted with full rudder output, the EDf will ayway be better than 1:1 in static thrust.
Its anyway easy to change out the last "exhaust" chromed part to test "direction rudder flow" there. Gonna go further with making the springloaded rudder under, till get the EDF installed and can test if rudder inside gives what thought about.
Ok, I know you've got a plan. I want to see these "side openings".

leaded50

Legendary member
"cappy video" of the "vectorized" rear end of thrusttube for turning function on ground/water, when not enough airspeed to get functionality by rudder. Made a "sleeve" outside of thrust tube (made of same mylar sheet type as thrust-tube), hinged on top and bottom and with a "pin" up into the rudder for movement.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Having that coupled with the rudder is really funny. I guess we don't see a lot of jet seaplanes!
it was a very easy solution, and get off problem with a water-rudder when landing at ground. It perhaps wouldnt turn on a dime because minor movement in setup of rudder. Can be fixed with a switch for full output though. Mainly full output isnt needed, just posibillity to steer some in low speed taxiing.

leaded50

Legendary member
Plans are revealed !
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hydrojet.68673/#post-685506

That give the main of the parts, but needs much work in eg shape panels, and get the model correct in lateral, longitutional and vertical shapes.
Some parts will need indiviual testing/adjusting to fit, and to get panels correct together.

But, here the members have a chance to build such a plane, IF understand, and do the individual double checks/adjustments of parts before gluing together. Its NOT just to cut out after the plans, and put together.! Many parts needs eg oblique cuts of edges to fit best together, some more, some less, and some dont, some even need trimming in size also depending on your buildstyle.
As how i centered the thrusttube in place glued in, and make a couple rings around of pvc foamboard. That i used as base for reinforcing for a tailfin spar, and also for rear fuselage skins to glue at. When altered idea for thrust vector waterrudder/taxiing, i fasted also two small parts of plywood on top and bottom to this for fastning of the vector tube .

I thought many times, if im realy should reveal plans for it... because some perhaps cant make it anyway if have the plans. Here skills is needed to get the result.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
congrats on releasing the plans. I love the way this looks. I look forward to building this one, or one of your others. I am sure I can learn plenty from this process of yours.