The Mongrel Project.

Beaver5150

In first news, the right aileron servo was replaced yesterday after locking it in place and flying single aileron the night before. On to today's news......
Now armed with 2 new 4S/2300mAh packs, I decided to remove the rear motor assembly. I ran a 3S/3600 first for a check flight, and as I expected, a little lighter on throttle punch but otherwise still flyable. The thing will still do a full vertical climb, but not as fast. Throttle point for level cruising was around 65%, one notch above 50%.
Running a single 4S/2200 put that throttle point right back to 50% as it was with 3 motors. There was no change in CG since the 3S/3600 weighs almost the same as a 4S/2300.
I ran a few more 3S flights during the night, then at midnight, I plugged both 4S/2300 packs in parallel and slipped them into the side pockets instead of inside the front nose canopy to keep CG where it belongs.
Plenty of punch at launch, climb rate still good, Mongrel flew near same as it did with 3 motors and 2- 3S/3600 packs.... noticably heavier, but still easy to fly. If anything, in this configuration Mongrel is flying more realistically like a large twin engine plane probably should, with stall speed a bit higher and a little more attention to throttle management needed at slow speeds, especially when hard turning into a tail-wind.
I'm good with all the above, though my curiosity has me thinking about having another go with those hot 2007/1700kv Emax motors, factory rated 2100g thrust on 4S. That's 4200g running twin motors, and I have only run them at 3S so far!

I'm almost ready to start a thread on Phoenix, resurrected from the remains of Stinger, soon to be Mongrel's little sister. I have the basic frame, power system and Rx configuration worked out so far.
IMG_20220612_003614033.jpg

Beaver5150

Nothing new to report with Mongrel. I especially like running her with the twin- 4S/2300mAh packs in parallel for 4600mAh. both packs tucked in on the sides of the fuselage to keep CG optimal. The thing will git-after-it at full throttle, despite the drag of the high-profile wing..... It reminds me of how a Twin-Otter or something similar would fly.
This is ironic as I had thought of doing a Dehavilland Beaver/Otter duo last year. Mongrel has become the Otter, and I figure Phoenix will be the single engine Beaver counterpart.
The Phoenix thread is coming soon. The 48" wing is in progress as we speak.
Also, I have a Hobby Eagle A3-V4 flight controller in the system now. It will most likely end up on Mongrel, as the A3 has no option for flaperon mix, and I will have to use the Aura5-lite for Phoenix. Mongrel has not needed flaps, so I don't need the option.

Last edited:

Beaver5150

The Runcam Split seems to work fine after flashing the correct firmware. I have it self contained as a unit and is removable. Camera/DVR resolution is top notch, even at night so far.
A few more tests and it will be ready for 4th of July weekend fireworks video from the air, and the occasional thunderstorm lightning shot.

Beaver5150

4th July weekend went well. I have Gigs of video to crunch down to a single highlight video.
There were even a few near misses with some Roman Candles and such running while I was flying back and forth through the hot zone as if I were attacking something on the ground.
With a recent adjustment of rates and gains, plus the additional 1 inch of rudder surface I added, Mongrel will turn on a dime..... or at least within a good 4 foot radius in mid air.
It's been 3 months of daily flying with this contraption, and it's still going strong.

Beaver5150

I haven't compiled the videos from 4th of July yet. I've been busy getting Phoenix shook down and tightened up.
I don't like swapping controllers from plane to plane, but I needed to prove a point to myself that the Aura5-lite is consistently sound even when swapping between three planes and having the separate setups saved on a laptop.
The only things that actually change are the aileron servo directions, and slight changes in reference angle of controller for auto-level.
It is consistent, the GUI works well, and it has saved me from a number of crashes...... just saying.
Now that controller is back on Mongrel. While the "brain transplant" was in progress, I reworked the wiring harness a bit and relocated the controller to a more accessible location.
Mongrel feels a bit weird after flying Phoenix for a few days.

Beaver5150

I finally decided to leave the Aura5-lite on Phoenix permanently. That setup worked out so well that I can't bring myself to disturb it by removing the controller again to put it back on Mongrel.
Meanwhile.....
I'm going another round with that HobbyEagle A3 Super-4 I bought awhile back. It's been sitting for awhile because I didn't like the way it acted the first time I flew with it. After some thought, I figured maybe I missed something when I set it up the first time.

Last night I plugged in the laptop and spent a few hours going over every rate and gain setting to try and get the thing right. I'm also switching from DSMX to FlySky AFHDS-2A PPM/serial protocol using one the iA6C Rx.... dual antennas.

I'm about to go out to the field with plane and laptop for a test and tune session. Hopefully It will work, and I can leave it as-is not have to mess with swapping controllers.

Beaver5150

...... Reasonable success at that. The A3-S4 works now, but I'm still on the fence about it. Mongrel went into a bush during evening session due to a gain issue. It put a big dent in the leading edge, but it looks to be where I planned on putting one of the other 2 motors.

I will be pulling Mongrel off the line for awhile for refit so I can get the 4 motor system set up, and I may even strip her down to frame and tail and completely rebuild wing and fuselage.
I'll pull the A3-S4 FC and put it on my Extra 330S for awhile now that it is mostly calibrated and flyable.

Mongrel started as a "thrown together" proof of concept build and had so far lasted a full 4 months of hard everyday flying. She exceeded my expectations for certain, and only improved with progressive modifications. I figure I easily have at least 50 hours on the thing, and that's a low-end estimate.
I think she deserves a refit.

Beaver5150

Mongrel is parked again in favor of Phoenix, and the Sonicmodel Mini Skyhunter I'm building. It's due for that refit anyway. It is on standby for the moment until the Sky-H is up and flying.

I have devised a newer landing gear system I can use on Mongrel if it proves too heavy for the Sky-H. The system currently on Mongrel weighs near the same and is similar in design.
It is a formed rigid wire set up in a rear torsion-bar configuration with carbon fiber decking. I purchased a specific size nuts and threading die to keep the wheels from falling off. It's rigid front, but I can ride the elevator and rudder to get steering if I need it. I've been taxiing Mongrel that way for awhile now as is.
IMG_20220820_075257618.jpg
IMG_20220820_075240167.jpg
IMG_20220820_075227518.jpg
IMG_20220820_075212141.jpg
IMG_20220820_075149954.jpg
IMG_20220820_075138812.jpg

Beaver5150

Well, the Mini Skyhunter didn't make it past 3 flights and it was done. Went in 3 times due to nasty stalls I couldn't pull out of even with the extra thrust I had. This even though I had the good Aura5-lite controller on it. Needless to say, I'll be building a new wing and fuselage for it.... my way.
After all that, I put the Aura back on Phoenix and It was right back to perfect.
It is encouraging that my home built contraptions seem to fly better and are far more durable and reliable than the cheap foam plane. I probably have close to 100 hours on Mongrel, and close to 5 hours on Phoenix.

Beaver5150

I couldn't stand it anymore. Swapping flight controllers between planes....
I pulled the trigger on a Potenza 8 flight controller made by Flex Innovations, same as the Aura5-lite marketed by Flite Test. Now I can leave the Aura5-lite on Phoenix. It's flying well even in full manual mode now, I don't want to screw it up.

Beaver5150

I couldn't stand it anymore. Swapping flight controllers between planes....
I pulled the trigger on a Potenza 8 flight controller made by Flex Innovations, same as the Aura5-lite marketed by Flite Test. Now I can leave the Aura5-lite on Phoenix. It's flying well even in full manual mode now, I don't want to screw it up.
......and I'm still waiting for the thing. Tracking shows the Potenza 8 just shipped out today after ordering it days ago.
$119 worth of anticipation!!!!

Beaver5150

My Potenza 8 should hit the mailbox tomorrow. I can't wait to get the thing on Mongrel. Hopefully all goes well with a full 8-ch ppm Rx feeding it.
No more swapping controllers between planes. :)

Beaver5150

While waiting for the new FC, I revived the CopterX (Trex 450SE-v2 clone) and got it back in the air. I installed all new servos and used the Ikon flight controller. All went well even with a few rounds of getting the tail gain nailed down.
The drive ratio is set so I can use 3S or 4S packs by way of Tx throttle curves on the 3-way mode switch.
Even the gear drive is quiet this time around.
A motor and main gear swap may be in order though. I don't completely trust the motor I'm running right now.
IMG_20220828_174116453.jpg
IMG_20220828_174039443.jpg
IMG_20220828_173905027_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173833345_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173820284_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173747765_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173738523_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173726811_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173712810_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220828_173654374_HDR.jpg

Beaver5150

The new FC is still hung up in transit and is acknowledged by their system as being late according to USPS tracking. I think they screwed up and put it on the wrong truck or something.
Meanwhile, that Sonicmodel Mini-Sky Hunter I thought I killed has flown successfully today after a refit and reconfiguration.
The fuselage was trashed, but the wing/twin tail boom core was repairable. I built a rudimentary fuselage using part of the old one and some foamboard. In doing this, I was able to stretch the nose an inch or so to get the LiPo packs far enough forward to actually get the CG right. I was not able to do that before without going all-in with a big heavy 3S/5200mAh pack, and then it was too heavy and prone to death-stalls.

Beaver5150

It's here!!
I can't wait to get this on Mongrel. It should only take a few minutes to get the thing configured. It runs the same GUI configurator as Aura5.
IMG_20220830_151733906.jpg
IMG_20220830_151746269_HDR.jpg

Beaver5150

Aura 8 on Phoenix now, all good there.
Aura5-lite back on Mongrel, its doing fine aside from a rudder servo failure....
Land, set rudder to neutral, unplug servo, take off.
Later on in the evening, after contemplating the demise of the Mini Skyhunter, I decided to graft the double tail boom from it onto Mongrel.
It just so happened that the boom spacing almost exactly matched the spacing of the twin motors of Mongrel. If I reverse engineered it, I could probably make a P-38 out of it. But that was not the objective.
I like the Skyhunter tail setup, though I will have to increase the Horiz/Vert surfaces as they were deficient even on the original model as was the smaller wing and high wing loading per specified LiPo packs and other standard equipment.

I have two successful flights on Mongrel with double-booms, and even managed to get good take-offs and landings using a tricycle landing gear instead of tail-dragger gear.
I will probably rebuild a more legitimate fuselage for this to be based on a larger scale size of Skyhunter configuration since I already have that tail on my big wing now.
Pics will be posted. Soon.

Beaver5150

I couldn't keep from rebuilding the horizontal stabilizer. I didn't like the way it felt even on the Skyhunter.
I like big tails and I cannot lie.....
I've practically doubled the surface area and out of that doubled the control surface. I also added lead tabs on the ends of the elevator to make things we easier on the servo and to get the rate correct. Fortunately the way the tail mounts work, it's easy to swap out a H-stab assembly as well as the verticals..... which will most likely be next for replacement if needed.
I also added some angle between the wing and tail plane to get some incident angle on the frame. I had none at first, and had a slight problem getting horizontal trim set. This also raises the ground clearance of the tail, which picked up some dirt on the last good back-flared landing with the new tricycle landing gear. It was a good landing considering I'm used to tail-draggers.
I should be on my way home to test the new tail setup on Mongrel shortly.