The Mongrel Project.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Okay. Mongrel is back.
Now that it's reasonably well tested and trimmed, I can get back to simply flying the thing for awhile before I make any more modifications.
Wing is up to 720 sq-in, from 570.
Still using 3-motor setup, and the tail boom was stretched by 6 inch for better stability and tail authority.
Super duper cool!

Beaver5150

3 flights in today so far this morning using a 5200mAh, and two 3600mAh packs separately.
Any change in CG wasn't noticable as I had Mongrel in auto-level 100% of the time.
I basically flew the thing like a kite, keeping just enough throttle to hold it stationary, and even flying backwards on occasion. I found myself as low as 1/4 throttle, which is exactly what I intended for this build.
I will get a few more flights in this evening with a different prop combination.

Beaver5150

One more video with full S.T.O.L. take-off and landing. This thing is a beast of a bush plane.

I took it off auto-level for a minute during another flight, pointed Mongrel's nose straight up in the air and gunned it. It didn't stop going straight up till I pushed back to level. 3 drone motors..... go figure.
Loops....omg! Yank the elevator back and gun it....... hard tight loops till I made it stop!!
Here's the S.T.O.L.

Beaver5150

Omg!! That was crazy!!
I thought I had the flight envelope figured for mostly level flight with an occasional loop here and there, given the KFm-2 wing with a high step profile for high lift.
I did not expect the thing to hold inverted flight, even if for a few seconds at a time.
Loops..... non stop...... till I decide to go back level.
I did have stabilization on (but obviously not auto-level), so the thing does hold it's track rather well in the wind without getting tossed around much. The controller is an Aura5-Lite if anyone is interested.
IMG_20220512_205115156.jpg
I used an old smartphone for an onboard camera while flying, the plane didn't feel any different.
Here's the video. I used the "face camera" side, so the resolution isn't that good. I was trying to keep the file size on the small.

Beaver5150

This morning's shenanigans involved a full load test with 12,400mAh worth of LiPo onboard. That's 1- 5200 and 2- 3600 packs.
All up weight came in at 72oz/4.450Lbs, which is so far, the heaviest of anything I've ever flown up to now. Wing load= 14.4oz per Sq-ft.

Fortunately, as calculated, Mongrel behaved herself very well the entire 15 min. flight, very much like a light trainer such as a 1.5m Cessna or something similar. CG/stall threshold is very predictable. I alternated from slow cruising/soaring to full throttle aerobatic outbursts and a few hard climbs. This latest wing seems to be holding up just fine to whatever I throw at it, so I'm going to keep pushing it.

Beaver5150

The lights are on! I installed the first of several rounds of LED strips on the Mongrel. This time it was red strips and 2 high power LED "landing lights" under the motor nacelles. They light up the white props real nice. I'm about to go a round with some white LEDs, strips and singles for accent lighting.
The triple 2814/850kv motors are up and running with 9.4x5 props. Efficiency and power are up, current drain is down, as two Lipo packs have told me today. This is also known from both sets of motors having been on Stinger (soon to be resurrected as Phoenix).
I just came in from the Maiden Night Flight, which went as well as expected as unfinished as the LEDs are. It was just visible enough to fly with auto-leveling on.
The top speed increased by a good 25% by what I can tell. Low speed control is still good, given the prop-wash on the tail. Off the line acceleration seemed a bit softer, but going from 7x3.5x3 to 9x5 props and slower motors will do that. Let me get ahold of a 4S pack and see what happens.
Here a few pics of what's on so far. I used the wrong phone so video came out fuzzy.

IMG_20220515_220722961.jpg
IMG_20220515_220822167.jpg
IMG_20220515_221018152.jpg

Beaver5150

How big is this?
60" wing span, 720 sq-in area, approx 50" length, All-Up wight is near 64 oz or 4 lbs with a single 5200mAh/3S pack. It's closer to 4.5 lbs when loaded with 12400mAh worth of LiPo, which was actual target weight before the last wing was built.
..... it's big, but not a giant.

Beaver5150

This was a good night! More LEDs, more visibility, more fun. It's almost better than daytime flying. I was able to fly a bit harder without the glare of sunlight or clouds. Orientation is nearly unmistakable as if flying a sim or a game.
The V-stab spotlights need to be brighter before I put a logo on the tail, probably just a big "M" or something. I have yet to get some blues on top of the wing, and whites elsewhere. I won't be happy till Mongrel is lit-up like Los Vegas.
I ran 5 packs at 7 to 8 min per flight.

The 2814/850kv/9.4x5 tri-motor configuration is still working as expected. I'm still getting used to the softer acceleration compared to those hot-rod drone motors and 7" props I had before. The up side- Loosing a couple of feet off my short take-off is worth the extended flight times. The thing will still pull a straight-up vertical climb with no problem.
I can't say enough about the stall characteristics. Slow flying is a blast!
Flaps? We don't need no stinking flaps. :alien:

The thing has a green 5 o'clock shadow from the props mowing small weeds during take off and landing. That's okay, I didn't build the thing to look pretty, it's just an everyday beater plane.
Video and pics.......
The moon was up, so I pulled a few "E.T. moon crossings" and threw in a few loops and inverted maneuvers for fun. At one point, Mongrel looked to be flying 'around' the moon. And one round I parked it right in the middle of the moon for a few seconds.
Best flight EVER!! (....so far.)

IMG_20220517_244102_426.jpg
IMG_20220517_244215_537.jpg
IMG_20220517_244128_353.jpg
IMG_20220517_244156_662.jpg

Beaver5150

Fuselage is being reconfigured and rewired at this time, setting up for 5 lipo packs. Rx/Flight controller now has its own separate compartment along with power connectors for accessories. Landing gear has been reinforced.
More LEDs to be added after fuselage refit.

Beaver5150

I finally managed to get the original canopy back on the Blade 450-X frame that is Mongrel's backbone. I'm not finished blending the midsection quite yet. I can also use the generic white canopy from Mongrel Mk-1.
I might know a few helicopter guys that would loose their minds over this, on another forum that is.
Helicopter grows wings....... still hovers like a helicopter. :alien:
IMG_20220518_200142639_HDR.jpg

Beaver5150

Full load test with all 5 lipo packs...... Fail......
Not enough thrust.
I may regret removing the 2807 drone motors, but I'm not putting them back on. I'm using those for a 6" quad build.
I need to go 4S or 6S with the voltage or buy new motors in the 1300 to 1700kv range.

Beaver5150

No changes other than having to reinforce the landing gear due to a hard side-slipped landing in a moderate wind.
I'm trying to make myself just fly the plane for awhile and evaluate things before I make anymore mods.

Beaver5150

No flying last few days due to rain and waiting for field to dry. Mud doesn't look good on white foamboard. I may be able to resume operations this evening if the ground has dried enough.

Meanwhile, the 12v regulators I ordered for the LEDs should be in next few days. Once those are on, I can proceed with the 4S/6S testing without burning out my lights.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a few new 4S packs. I need some to hop-up my Extra 330s and the fpv-quad I'm working on, so no loss if If Mongrel doesn't respond well to them.

Beaver5150

Quad.... dead already. I'm sticking with planes for awhile. They don't usually drop like a rock when they malfunction.
Mongrel still doing well with no recent changes other than replacing noisy bearings in the left wing motor.
I'm actually in planning for the next plane build, The Phoenix, evaluating motors and props vs. Lipo size and target airframe weight. I seem to have better results when I do the math as with Mongrel.
I'm also fighting with these multi-rotor flight controllers trying to set up the output channels through Cleanflight/Betaflight. I hate CLI commands.
Since I snatched the Aura5-lite FC out of my Extra 330s for Mongrel, I'm replacing it with an iKon-1 helicopter FC. I've used it before on a few planes with good results. If done right, the "collective" channel acts as a pitch trim and flap control in flaperon configuration.
With all the above in progress, I'm flying Mongrel as is for awhile.

Beaver5150

Ironically, I had ordered a Dji Phantom 3 with the Runcam Split on it from eBay just before my last quad went down. It looked as though I might have even ended up getting a refund or whatever due to slow shipping response. Now it looks as though it's here in town now by the USPS tracking. Will find out tomorrow, then decide whether or not to part it out or rebuild it..... my way.

Beaver5150

So the Dji (Phantom 2) motors are 2312/980Kv. I've already installed 2 on the wing. They have a little less torque than the 2814, but they seem fine otherwise, and lighter weight. The self tightening prop hubs are nice since I have been using the correct props all along. I'm half-tempted to put the other 2 Dji motors on and make Mongrel a 4-motor monster.
10 minute flights at night when the wind is nearly calm.... very relaxing.
I've discovered I can fly Mongrel with throttle/rudder only now. Level cruising threshold is right at half throttle. :)
Latest pics from the flight line......
IMG_20220604_212803531.jpg
IMG_20220604_212719654.jpg
IMG_20220604_212640442.jpg