• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The "T" tail experiment.

#1
I had some time this weekend so I went about challenging myself to make a scratch build pusher, with a "T" tail! I've noticed most of the aircraft at my workplace have a "T" tail (usually to accommodate fuselage mounted engines) And it got me curious as to how difficult it would be to use that configuration on a scratch build. So I took an afternoon and decided to make a T tail pusher for FPV flying and this is what I came up with! During some engine runs I noticed the vertical stabiliser was getting moved around quite a bit by the turbulence from prop. I fixed this problem with a couple BBQ skewers for bracing. I was shocked at how much authority the elevator had, considering it's a relatively small surface (I had to dial the rates back to around 35% to make it smooth). But the maiden was successful and a great proof of concept. I will definitely be making some changes to version 2. I was surprised at how straight forward it was to design. I'd love to see what others are doing with this idea and any improvements or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
IMG_20200719_205402.jpg
IMG_20200719_191947.jpg
IMG_20200719_205324.jpg
IMG_20200719_205339.jpg
 
#3
I've had the exact same thoughts watching some of the turbo props flying over my house (I'm on final for MCO). Did you tab the H-stab to the V-stab or use bbq skewers in anyway other than reinforcing the V-stab?
 

Homey

Elite member
#5
I had some time this weekend so I went about challenging myself to make a scratch build pusher, with a "T" tail! I've noticed most of the aircraft at my workplace have a "T" tail (usually to accommodate fuselage mounted engines) And it got me curious as to how difficult it would be to use that configuration on a scratch build. So I took an afternoon and decided to make a T tail pusher for FPV flying and this is what I came up with! During some engine runs I noticed the vertical stabiliser was getting moved around quite a bit by the turbulence from prop. I fixed this problem with a couple BBQ skewers for bracing. I was shocked at how much authority the elevator had, considering it's a relatively small surface (I had to dial the rates back to around 35% to make it smooth). But the maiden was successful and a great proof of concept. I will definitely be making some changes to version 2. I was surprised at how straight forward it was to design. I'd love to see what others are doing with this idea and any improvements or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks! View attachment 175102 View attachment 175099 View attachment 175100 View attachment 175101
Really like this! Efficient and looks good. Nice fpv platform.

Peter
 

jfaleo1

Junior Member
#7
I had some time this weekend so I went about challenging myself to make a scratch build pusher, with a "T" tail! I've noticed most of the aircraft at my workplace have a "T" tail (usually to accommodate fuselage mounted engines) And it got me curious as to how difficult it would be to use that configuration on a scratch build. So I took an afternoon and decided to make a T tail pusher for FPV flying and this is what I came up with! During some engine runs I noticed the vertical stabiliser was getting moved around quite a bit by the turbulence from prop. I fixed this problem with a couple BBQ skewers for bracing. I was shocked at how much authority the elevator had, considering it's a relatively small surface (I had to dial the rates back to around 35% to make it smooth). But the maiden was successful and a great proof of concept. I will definitely be making some changes to version 2. I was surprised at how straight forward it was to design. I'd love to see what others are doing with this idea and any improvements or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks! View attachment 175102 View attachment 175099 View attachment 175100 View attachment 175101
Nice, well executed and simple, also nice to see another Aircraft Mech here (I'm assuming).
 
#12
I had some time this weekend so I went about challenging myself to make a scratch build pusher, with a "T" tail! I've noticed most of the aircraft at my workplace have a "T" tail (usually to accommodate fuselage mounted engines) And it got me curious as to how difficult it would be to use that configuration on a scratch build. So I took an afternoon and decided to make a T tail pusher for FPV flying and this is what I came up with! During some engine runs I noticed the vertical stabiliser was getting moved around quite a bit by the turbulence from prop. I fixed this problem with a couple BBQ skewers for bracing. I was shocked at how much authority the elevator had, considering it's a relatively small surface (I had to dial the rates back to around 35% to make it smooth). But the maiden was successful and a great proof of concept. I will definitely be making some changes to version 2. I was surprised at how straight forward it was to design. I'd love to see what others are doing with this idea and any improvements or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks! View attachment 175102 View attachment 175099 View attachment 175100 View attachment 175101
HEY!!! I have a edf trainer (which has never been flown that looks exactly like that tail! same servo placement and everything!
 

Vimana89

Legendary member
#13
From what I know(and I'm not an aerodynamics expert, just someone who likes to experiment a lot), the T tail will have nice stability and add to the glide slope, but can have some adverse stall characteristics at high angles of attack. It looks like the plane you've got isn't something for high alpha anyways, but sometimes stuff happens and planes wind up at an undesirable angle of attack, which can cause a deep stall with your elevator surface located on the T tail. Just a heads up in case it wasn't something you knew already. Just keep it out of high alpha and you should be good(y)