The Tiny Whoop of Scratch Built Planes

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
And it is a 1306 with no thrust angle, I did adjust the wing though to get away with this.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
awesome! glad to hear you worked out the weird and bad characteristics.

also wow that is going to be a big plane!! have you thought about what motors to use?
a couple really big ones or like 8 smaller ones?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Well I have the motor that I was going to use in the behemoth, that’s what I’m going to use. It’s a turigy sk3 500 kv motor.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
oh and thank you for the plans. printing them now. will probably build it before the end of the week. is it just foamboard? if so i can build it now! i could build 2! one glider and one for later when i get a motor someday. maybe just make 2 gliders. anyways...

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
It’s all foam for the chuck glider, unless you plan on whipping it, you won’t need a bbq skewer for wing reinforcement or a popsicle stick for the tail boom.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
It’s all foam for the chuck glider, unless you plan on whipping it, you won’t need a bbq skewer for wing reinforcement or a popsicle stick for the tail boom.

i may have to go buy some foam then. like the big insulation foam? i want to get some of that anyways to build the mad cow (flying cow bell episode)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Also its just normal DTFB Daniel, but a large one out of the insulation board would be fun...

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
It shouldn't be, I'm sure you can figure it out, also if you can please let me know about the build. Like how it all went together, how easy it was to build, etc... It would help a lot!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
It shouldn't be, I'm sure you can figure it out, also if you can please let me know about the build. Like how it all went together, how easy it was to build, etc... It would help a lot!

will do! do you want pictures and video? i can do that easily if you want.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I can post some pictures I took during the V1 build, it is very similar to the V2, I am sure that it should be enough. Some pictures would be great, and also please let me know where you had difficulty with the build as well. Eventually I will do a build video for it, but I still have to break the prototype first before I rebuild it ;)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Okay I was not able to finish V2 tonight but I have updated the plans
Please build one and let me know how it was!
I need input for these plans in-order to make better plans in the future so please build one as a chuck glider and let me know how the experience was!

Also a little side note, I need to work on my car tomorrow but afterwards I can hopefully finish this and move on to my next build-ruary build! Also which one do you guys want to see first, the Micro Flyer or the Micro Glider?

I have found it helpful to put a summary of each Version in the first post (pic, plan, maiden vid)

To that end, Please put the a link to the latest plan and information picks on the V2 on the first post too. This also helps newcomers see your sales pitch at a glance. (Some if these threads get Loooong making it harder to find the latest and greatest.)

ALSO - Awesome Progress on your Build-ruary Challenge entry.
So now.... how would you rate it's Build and Flight characteristics? and STOP, START, CONTINUE if a next version were to happen?

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Great backyard flyer...watch out for going into a dive

Looks like a great build! It looks like its going to be a blast to fly around in a smaller environment or at a park but don't expect to go too fast with it. Gliders tend to not do well with speed and aerobatics at the same time. When you increase the speed of the plane that wing is going to have want to fold. Also when diving the wing is going to try to pull that plane up and when you get out of a dive it might want to do a loop. I had the same thing happen to me with my ft explorer. I went into a dive twice, the first one the wings folded, the second I got out of it and the plane did a loop. Just some things to watch out for but overall looks like a really nice build.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Ill update the first post after school on Monday sometime, I have found that it is nearly impossible to fold the wings with v2, It can barely do a loop! The rudder is extremely sensitive and I will hopefully include a throw gauge eventually. I'll try and do a build post as well, maybe that'll have to wait until Tuesday. Although this might all have to wait because I still have to make two more planes for the build-uary.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
oh! if i have foamboard left i could make like a 400% version for use with power pack b!
other than that i dont think i can fly it other than as a free flight glider.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so the first thing that would make the build MUCH easier at least right now without a build video is labeled parts on the plans. for instance, i gathered that right and left wing tips were marked but i didnt know what was the tail boom at first. elevator and rudder were easy as was the noce and main fuselage but having the center of the wing marked as "center" and the tail boom/fuselage marked as such would make it much easier.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so i have build the maine nose/ fuse but im trying to figure out how the tail boom attaches and how far from the back to put the elevator.