THE ULTIMATE C - PACK!!!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It stopped raining, finally, and I got to fly the Sportster with the upgraded C-pack. Unfortunately it was very windy, but my desperation pushed me to get in the air. The Sporster leaped into the air with a burst of power and away it went fighting the wind but nothing could stop it with the new power plant purring away! Im still having a cg issue, but I am not sure if it was the wind too. I think it's a tad tail heavy and I trimmed it out a bit. I then came in for a landing and the wind gusted so badly I was afraid it wouldn't get down without bad things happening, but I managed a crazy landing and no damage.

ritalin401

1100kv ?

I tried a similar sized motor on my Storch this past weekend. I originally had a cheap $6 A2212 1000kv motor on it which was enough to fly the plane but had trouble fighting against wind and felt very underpowered. My new setup is a NTM 3530 1100kv, 3s 2200mah, 11x5.5E, 45A ESC. I'm not sure if I used the best prop size, but it pull its own weight. I didn't feel like it had the unlimited vertical like you are getting with your setup. Maybe this motor needs 4s to reach that level of performance?

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Try a 9x6 prop, you may have to much prop slowing it down. I use a 9x6 and it screams with power. Im so spoiled flying the Storch with this much power that its hard to fly my other planes.

ritalin401

1100kv ?

Thanks! I will give it a try, although I am not sure if the 1100kv will be fast enough for 9x6. For my next build I may end up ordering one of those SK3 1340kv like you used.

Do you know if the motor comes with a set-screw collar to secure the shaft on the back? I saw Hobbyking also has the motor (SK3 3530 1340kv) with the shaft going the other way (out the front), but it's more expensive, and the only reason I would go for that one is because it has a collar on the back so the shaft will have something more than a little C-clip holding it in place. But if the reverse shaft version has a collar then it's a much better deal.

Also if anyone does end up ordering one of the cheap $8.61 NTM motors, remember to get an accessory pack, because the motors do not come with any prop adapter or mounting hardware, and they also don't include a set-screw collar either, which makes me a little worried that someday my prop is going to pull the shaft out of the motor and cause a spectacular crash :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The SK3 comes with a 4 bolt prop drive on the front and a prop adapter type shaft on the back and come with all the hardware to mount the motor and prop. You need to buy screws for the motor mount but otherwise ita a complete kit.