Thoughts on the Mini Drake?

DarkFire

I am getting ready to purchase my first balsa wood kit, a Mountain Models Dandy by Joker's suggestion in his wonderful thread devoted to getting people started on balsa:). Always the dreamer, I have been researching small balsa flying boats and came across the charming-looking Mini Drake. As I was looking through reviews, I found they were very conflicting, some saying the kit went together fine and some saying the balsa was way too fragile with some parts having too tight a fit (I'm thinking inconsistent laser cutting may be a factor). I was wondering if anyone can advise me on this plane. I have a few questions, most important being is the Mini Drake a good second or third build and the quality of the wood, cutting, etc.

Thank you,
Dark

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I can't speak to the quality of the kit but the Drake is a very good model. I build one out of foam a few years back and it was a real sweetheart to fly. Very gentle and predictable. From what I've seen of the mini it flies similar to the full size one that I built (minus the ailerons.)

DarkFire

The docile and slow flight reports are what drew me to the Mini Drake. My main goal is to show off RC aviation to a few of my friends at school in a small (around 70 ft by 50 ft) pond nearby. Most of the reviews I looked at either stated that it was a great flyer or that the adverse characteristics were cause by the before mentioned flaws in the kit.