Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You are right in that I’m at the beginning of the stages, BUT I have 27 pages of valuable information to reference and a group of community members willing to help and give advice. That being said, I’m not trying to replace the HB easy edge at all! I just want to add more to the group, and have always wanted a 3D bipe and thought it would be a fun project to post here. This is my first time designing in illustrator, so I’m actually pretty excited.

Thanks for the kind words @mayan

I’ll start with this then.

good point - I’ll extend the nose a bit.
Take it and run with it! You design it, and I will build it and fly it. I hope a lot of other people do to. I just didn't want you to feel pressured into it. I can be pretty heavy handed, I know. It's never my intent, I just love what I love. I do love a bipe! :love:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Take it and run with it! You design it, and I will build it and fly it. I hope a lot of other people do to. I just didn't want you to feel pressured into it. I can be pretty heavy handed, I know. It's never my intent, I just love what I love. I do love a bipe! :love:
I actually got far enough with the plans to transfer them to acrobat and print them. If anyone wants the rough plans, let me know.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I actually got far enough with the plans to transfer them to acrobat and print them. If anyone wants the rough plans, let me know.
Oh, shoot! Yes I want them! No, I'm not ready for them. I'm still working on the HB EAF 2D3D. I finished marking the wing this evening. I build really slow. That just is what is it is. :)

I would love to see the plans, though. A 3d bipe is so much my style. I want one! :p

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got some plans cut out. First impressions - maybe power it of a b or c pack, and the elevator is a bit on the small side. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 735A32CC-E196-4752-8E9C-9F2C2DB4C476.jpeg
    735A32CC-E196-4752-8E9C-9F2C2DB4C476.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Whoops battery fell out but I also need to check the balance in the prop or see if the shaft is bent, it sounded out of balance since it's last thump. Need to put a couple fuzzy pieces of Velcro on the side of the battery so the strap can stop it from sliding.
It was windy and suppose to get even worse so I figured I would give it a go now and it was handling the wind pretty good.
I didn't extend my throws on the elevator yet but what I did do was add on 3/4" of foam to the elevator extending it out farther but I had good pitch control this time.

mayan

Legendary member
Whoops battery fell out but I also need to check the balance in the prop or see if the shaft is bent, it sounded out of balance since it's last thump. Need to put a couple fuzzy pieces of Velcro on the side of the battery so the strap can stop it from sliding.
It was windy and suppose to get even worse so I figured I would give it a go now and it was handling the wind pretty good.
I didn't extend my throws on the elevator yet but what I did do was add on 3/4" of foam to the elevator extending it out farther but I had good pitch control this time.

Hell yeah! That’s the wind I bailed out on today with my Easy Edge, and I shouldn’t have :(.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@mayan I saw you were using an APC prop for your easy edge. How durable was it? Did it take a lot of abuse before it broke and did it take mild crashes? Happy with it’s performance? Was it a 6x3

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan I saw you were using an APC prop for your easy edge. How durable was it? Did it take a lot of abuse before it broke and did it take mild crashes? Happy with it’s performance? Was it a 6x3
It is a 6x4. APC props are what I use on all my planes because the can take my Israeli hardcore abuse and barely break and even if they get chipped a bit they still give me no major issues. Highly recommended!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It is a 6x4. APC props are what I use on all my planes because the can take my Israeli hardcore abuse and barely break and even if they get chipped a bit they still give me no major issues. Highly recommended!
Ok, good to know. Have they survived any nose dives?

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you ever order from HK order the 6X3 TGS prop, all little more thrust and a tiny bit less amps :) . I think there is a reboxed one from Banggood which is the KMP (I think).

https://www.banggood.com/1pc-KMP-60...ane-p-1318625.html?rmmds=buy&cur_warehouse=CN

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tgs-precision-folding-propeller-6x3-black-1pc.html

I do like the APC props too

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hell yeah! That’s the wind I bailed out on today with my Easy Edge, and I shouldn’t have :(.
By tomorrow the wind is suppose to be up around 90k :)

My battery slot fits the 1500 battery so the 1300 is way shorter and it was able to slide out of the velcro strap but if it wasn't for that the plane was handling the wind pretty good.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Prototype V1 in the makes. I’m going to make a wing two layers of foam board thick instead of the original 2 board thick plan. Also, for v1 I’m just going to do a single thick fuse, but the final version will be two layers thick.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Okay, less than a minute of flight time and she's gone. I don't see a thing wrong with the design, I'm just not ready for something this unstable yet. The whole build has inspired me on just how simple design can be. I may well design a trainer version based on these basic concepts of strictly silhouettes. Maybe a whole series each one a little less stable?