Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

mayan

Legendary member
Ok, 3 weeks later I finally got around to editing this vid.
Here is the tests done with an A pack. Both stock and heavy setup.
Love it! Great flying, great video mand you know how to fly that bird out of sleep :). I need to take lessons from you, when you available?

At this point I am not sure what my favorate setup is, I do lean towards a stock A pack tho for low and slow. F pack with 9g servos handles the wind better but is noticeably heavier. Maybe a stock F pack with 5g servos will be the ticket. I have a new radial F pack on order, so will test if it ever arrives.
I use the F pack motor and 5g servos and love that setup although I also agree that A pack and 5g servos are a good starting point for a little slower flying.

Headbang

Master member
Love it! Great flying, great video mand you know how to fly that bird out of sleep :). I need to take lessons from you, when you available?

I use the F pack motor and 5g servos and love that setup although I also agree that A pack and 5g servos are a good starting point for a little slower flying.
Thank you! I have more video to come, and have not truly done what I feel will be the final promo vid flight. Thinking an f pack with 5g servos is needed to get that video that shows off all the aspects.
I am ok, I am still learning. There are lots of things others I fly with are better at when it comes to 3D. That said, my favorate part of this hobby is helping others get off the ground, I am the head instructor in my club and spent an enormous amount of time doing that. I will work with anyone who shows up at the field, and now that winter is starting to hit, I will do the same on the sim at my shop on the big screen!

In fact this afternoon is planned to be Timber Tuesday on the sim here at the shop with Photo001.

mayan

Legendary member
Thank you! I have more video to come, and have not truly done what I feel will be the final promo vid flight. Thinking an f pack with 5g servos is needed to get that video that shows off all the aspects.
I am ok, I am still learning. There are lots of things others I fly with are better at when it comes to 3D. That said, my favorate part of this hobby is helping others get off the ground, I am the head instructor in my club and spent an enormous amount of time doing that. I will work with anyone who shows up at the field, and now that winter is starting to hit, I will do the same on the sim at my shop on the big screen!

In fact this afternoon is planned to be Timber Tuesday on the sim here at the shop with Photo001.
If only I lived in Canada :).

Headbang

Master member
Careful what you wish for. Just took this pic a minute ago.
20191022_111717.jpg

Headbang

Master member
Most 3D plans I see call for low kv motors with big props. The FT power packs A & F have high kv quad type motors and small props. What's better for a low and slow light weight 3D?
Yes, low kv and big prop spreads out the airflow over a larger surface. It also adds torque roll. There is a balance to be had. My beast bipe flys much better on a 16x12 then a 18x8, same amp draw. My edge is better on a 18x10 vs a 19x8, but a 16x12 is terrible. For the easy edge the high kv motor is offset by exaggerated control surfaces and a very low pitch. It would not work well on a 5x45, but works well on a 6x3. A 2206 1600kv on a larger prop would be better.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
True. I was wondering why use the FT "pack" motors if there are better choices. But I can also understand using what you have on hand.
That was part of the original idea for the plane. I figured by the time a pilot was ready to try his hand at 3D, he's probably got a couple F motors and 850 and 1200mAh batts laying around. Probably a few 9gram servos as well. Slap a model together in an afternoon, go crash it and do it again. :)

mayan

Legendary member
7x... with a F pack motor burned down an ESC for me just so you all know. It happened when I was testing a 60% scale down version of the FT Edge 540. The plane flew and flew great untill boom, lost controll and the rest is history, the ESC was just fired :(.

Headbang

Master member
7x... with a F pack motor burned down an ESC for me just so you all know. It happened when I was testing a 60% scale down version of the FT Edge 540. The plane flew and flew great untill boom, lost controll and the rest is history, the ESC was just fired :(.
I do know that at 31amps on 4s the 2205 gets very hot quick using a 5x45bn. On 3s it dawns 25ish amps on the same prop. Issue with this motor is it can handle a lot, and is cheap, so people push it. If you do not know the numbers on a specific setup make sure you always test it with a watt/amp meter, and be sure the motor is not getting too hot!