Tiwn motor trainer

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have 2 a-pack motors lying around, and while a giant b17 that i am building is lying around waiting for some breakthroughs in connecting the broken pieces, I was told by different club members that I should use those 2 motors to build a stable, 4 channel trainer. It needs to be stable, nto too hard to build, though I am up for a small challenge, forgiving, and the largest wingspan possible. I was shown a about 60 inch cub, and told that was the size I needed. will be running on an old 1300 3s, or some 200 3s', with some 2s 1800 or 800 also available. the motors are similar to a pack, but are a little more high power, with 2300kv, though still 1806. running on 20a escs, and 8.5 and 9g servos.

open for any designs that might work

thanks for the help in advance, FlyerInStyle Needs help

Question: Why does it need to be a twin? I mean, I love twin-motor aircraft, love the looks and the flying, but hey a rudder and differential thrust do the same thing. A rudder's just easier to build and set up.

Battery800

Elite member
I have 2 a-pack motors lying around, and while a giant b17 that i am building is lying around waiting for some breakthroughs in connecting the broken pieces, I was told by different club members that I should use those 2 motors to build a stable, 4 channel trainer. It needs to be stable, nto too hard to build, though I am up for a small challenge, forgiving, and the largest wingspan possible. I was shown a about 60 inch cub, and told that was the size I needed. will be running on an old 1300 3s, or some 200 3s', with some 2s 1800 or 800 also available. the motors are similar to a pack, but are a little more high power, with 2300kv, though still 1806. running on 20a escs, and 8.5 and 9g servos.

I think 60 inches is way too big, I would go for abut 45 inches

OliverW

Legendary member

I think a mini guinea with reduced throws would work quite well for this job

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I think 60 inches is way too big, I would go for abut 45 inches
that is what he says that doesnt neeed to be the size, I think he meant to go for bigger, not my 30 inch modded, failed biplane miini scout, bigger than that.
I think a mini guinea with reduced throws would work quite well for this job
I heard that it is twitchy and hard to control, and I thought that 35 inches would not be enough, I am trying to go bigger, like @Battery800 said, 45 would be nice.
Question: Why does it need to be a twin? I mean, I love twin-motor aircraft, love the looks and the flying, but hey a rudder and differential thrust do the same thing. A rudder's just easier to build and set up.
it does not, need to eb a twin. a twin can just be larger with less load on the motors, thats all, ideally I am lookng for a trainer from 45 inches ws up.

edit. needs to use a pack motors

OliverW

Legendary member
that is what he says that doesnt neeed to be the size, I think he meant to go for bigger, not my 30 inch modded, failed biplane miini scout, bigger than that.

I heard that it is twitchy and hard to control, and I thought that 35 inches would not be enough, I am trying to go bigger, like @Battery800 said, 45 would be nice.

it does not, need to eb a twin. a twin can just be larger with less load on the motors, thats all, ideally I am lookng for a trainer from 45 inches ws up.

45" is really just about as big as you can go on A-packs and still have a little bit of power available. What you are asking for only really exists in the min guinea. If you brought the throws down and dialed in some expo it would be fine

Ah I get you. Twin A-packs will get you a bigger plane. The other advantage is you have the whole nose for the battery.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
45" is really just about as big as you can go on A-packs and still have a little bit of power available. What you are asking for only really exists in the min guinea. If you brought the throws down and dialed in some expo it would be fine
I get it, but I said, I want something more stable, if it can do aerobatics and 3d, I od not think it would be a nice stable first trainer. also, I would like it a little bigger, and slower. it is pretty fast as it is, and sttall speed is relative to the mini scout fast too. I am looking for a similar to a giant twin mini scout charecteristiic pllane that uses two a packk motorrs adn is 4ch.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I get it, but I said, I want something more stable, if it can do aerobatics and 3d, I od not think it would be a nice stable first trainer. also, I would like it a little bigger, and slower. it is pretty fast as it is, and sttall speed is relative to the mini scout fast too. I am looking for a similar to a giant twin mini scout charecteristiic pllane that uses two a packk motorrs adn is 4ch.
I might just try the mini guinea iwth a 40 inch armin wing that I have laying around though I am skeptical about modifying the designs for now.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
The guinea is one of the most stable fb airplanes that I've ever flown. Its not a 3d or aerobatic plane either, you may see people hover it and role it but people do that with cubs too and I thought that a cub was the airplane you were looking for(by the way cubs are terrible trainers because you have to know how to use the rudder well in order to get it off the ground other wise you'll ground loop and wreck it, not to mention they tip stall really bad). so I would take some plans of a sig kadet and make a 3ch fb version of it and you'll have a good time.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The guinea is one of the most stable fb airplanes that I've ever flown. Its not a 3d or aerobatic plane either, you may see people hover it and role it but people do that with cubs too and I thought that a cub was the airplane you were looking for(by the way cubs are terrible trainers because you have to know how to use the rudder well in order to get it off the ground other wise you'll ground loop and wreck it, not to mention they tip stall really bad). so I would take some plans of a sig kadet and make a 3ch fb version of it and you'll have a good time.
so sig kadet or mini giunea got it. will keep in mind. could I make a larger, twin engine version of a sig kadet, sig kadet guy

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
If I had to chose between guinea or seniorita/kadet, I would go with the ladder all the way. I learned on a sig seniorita with an os .40 in it and never crashed it so take it for what its worth.
what scale should I make the sig kadet for an a pack motor? maybe if I make it 70 percent, it will be a 44.1 inch ws, so a nice size for two a pack motors. what do you think about that. might mount the motors on the wings, and the batterry all the way up front. Blocker Aviation, thanks so much.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
why is the tiny trainer a 36"? it has only one motor. that is why I am thinking of 44/45. btw. I prefer messaging threads so that I can discuss htings more 'privately' so please join me in the one I made.
The tiny trainer is a motor glider. That is why they get away with such a small motor on it. A 40" span would be great for it. It would fly floaty, yet be maneuverable so if you get hit by a big wind gust or something you can have a bit of extra control on your side