To DRONE or Not to DRONE

How should we treat the Media's use of the word "drone" to describe all RC aircraft?

• Drones Bad: We don't fly drones

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Drones Good: We all fly drones

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Tactical Ex

I think we should do our best to describe our hobby as accurately as possible in natural conversation and when someone uses a word like drone simply ask them why they call it a drone. That question alone gets at least semi-reasonably minded people thinking about it objectively and it can be a good gateway to a positive conversation.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
"It is not a worker/warrior ant, bee, wasp or Borg... So why call it a drone?"

hele559

The are multirotors, the media are just too lazy to actually take the time to learn what RC flying is about.
me personally, i'm getting sick of hearing "RC Drone" on the news, like the Amazon 'Prime Air', RC drones would be a scale aircraft of the real UAV MILITARY Drones

_OZ_

I hate the term drone and Hele559 is right, the media is lazy. They are also stupid and only care about ratings.

K2theM

I don't like the term Drone as a blanket statement for all RC aircraft. Similar to calling any "tactical" firearm an "assault weapon", it's a misappropriation of the term.

Like gun owners, we need to be aware of the terms usage and be prepared to properly explain the difference.

The hard part is the lack of an easy word to say in place of Drone. RC Aircraft doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

CJGFX

This is a topic that I have watch unfold for a while now, so I would just like to put in my thoughts. I don't have FPV gear on my planes and tricopter, but I do have a camera and would love to get some goggles to do a little close range FPV. I'm hesitant getting some however due to the bad press that the FPV 'drone' gets.
I personally do not like the word 'Drone' as I perceive it as a military term for an unmanned war plane and not a few pieces of wood or foam..... We all have to accept that FPV is a potentially dangerous hobby, just as flying any RC aircraft. If it came down and hit someone it could be fatal. That a side there are a lot more people injured in car accidents than by RC aircraft, but the press are not too bothered by that, it's a consequence of our modern life.
The press have a lot to answer for in many ways, they are only bothered about selling the stories and not the facts. If they gave out the facts, this thread would not be here as people have said previously. The problem lies with the minority of people who fly with disregard to other people around them, or their fellow hobbyists. These are the people who will loose control of their FPV platform over a kids ball game and inquire someone. These are the same people who will fly around their neighborhood trying to film though bedroom windows to get a 'funny' shot to put on the internet .... These are the stories the press feed on and these people represent about 1% of the RC population...... This it is why it is so important to be responsible when flying, that does not mean to say that you can't have fun, just think before you fly over people or tell people where possible that your filming before you take off. As the guys on Flite Test have said many times before let people look at a screen to see the inboard footage, ask if they'd like to try to fly...
It is only though suggestions that have been made in this thread before about letting the public participate in FPV and though websites like Flite Test that people truly understand the FUN of the hobby. They may hopefully see the difference between a million dollar military plane and a few hundred dollars of FPV kit. Whether the people in power will go with this or listen to what the press tell the people... That remains to be seen....

Flynn

My first brush with the word "Drone" was in high school, in the 80's. I remember using it with friends to describe them similarly the way you would use the term Airhead. Ah, you Drone! or Shutup ya Drone, was some high school lingo of my time.

But I live in Jersey, I own a couple guns. Just to give an example of how The Media and Law Makers can pass laws and have no idea what they are talking about.

This, Marlin XT-22TR Bolt Action Rifle .22 LR (.22 caliber) is considered an "Assault Rifle" because it can hold 17 rounds. If I get caught with this in Jersey I will go to Jail, 3-5 years.

2-MARXT-22TR.jpg

However, this Barrett semi-automatic .50 caliber rifle, which holds 10 rounds, is legal without the muzzle break.

apple-iPhone-4-vs-_50-Cal-Sniper-Rifle.jpg

I'm just posting this to show people how ridiculous The Media and the public, including our elected officials can be. Like Josh said in the latest pod cast, You have to watch the words that are used. People will just hear "SUV" or "Assault Rifle" or "Drone" and think of one thing and think its bad. I think that public perception of certain things is greatly influenced be organizations that would like to tell you something is bad and you should be afraid of it. And I think it all goes down hill from there.

But like it or not, Amazon, showing delivery by Quad copter as I see it actually helped in a way. Because a lot of people I know were talking about that after it was announced. That does show a "Drone" doing something good for people. Shows that drones are not all bad.

This sounds crazy, but here goes.
I was at the doctor's office a few minutes ago. While bantering with the doctor, I told him that I was listening to the FT podcast about RC planes.

The first thing he says is "Is it is like those drones with a camera on them that I saw on TV the other day?".

I told him that to me drones are the military aircraft that carry missiles (shown on tv all the time), and the one I try to fly is just a foam plane made with dollar tree foam board. The doctor was cool about it, but that was an interesting conversation.

Flying Dutchman

Drones .... hmmmm, or drones ... cool !!
I just listenend to podcast 13:
I think it totally has to do with the continent. In the USA the word became a dirty word, a thread. And the media didn't help it in favor of rc enthusiasts either. The NYC drone crash didn't help either. Then again American media does use "drone footage" for certain news segments and then nobody complains.
But if you go to Europe, use the words "tricopter", "quadcopter" etc. , people ask what do you mean. Then when you explain it to them they say "oh, you mean a drone !!" ......
There are plenty of news stations in Europe who use drones and laws can't prevent them of using them.
As a Dutchy in NY traveling back and forth to Europe, there are plenty of other words as well which are offensive to one or the other but no so much across the pawn ... but that doesn't apply to this forum.

Just my 2 cents ..

Freaky_1

old headcase
Long story short. It really doesn't matter as perception is up to the perceiver.

Short story long. I cringe every time I hear anything in the hobby called a drone. It's because I'm old and the term "drone" never had any good connotations until recent. From old syfi, drones never spelled joy. From my full scale history, it is a sound that you never want to hear your t-prop make. That said, I'm a tad removed from current views and such, but I suspect our aged law makers see the word as pleasant as I do. The difference being that I expect to adjust to the times and that's not a politician's trend.

Summed up, it really doesn't matter as younger generations make it their own.
Heck I'm from a day when "gay" was often used in conversation and song, and meant joyfully (if not care free) happy. Once it was laughable to think humans would ever be transported through the air without jumping off a cliff or being flung from some siege device or another. Hardly anyone even thinks about those heavy metal birds flying overhead them each day any more. Times change.

Frank

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
In some countries, an aircraft that exceed certain RC criteria, like AUW or altitude, have to be registered as drones and flown with certain licences, obtainable only after flightschool and a minimum number or registered flight hours. If a plane or whatever does not exceed any of these criterias, require special licences, can be flown by any Tom, Dick or Harry walking out of a LHS with a package under their arm and do not require being registered as drones, how the hell can they be considered drones!?

It would be like calling a horse drawn buggy a motor vehicle based solely on the fact that they are measurable in horsepower and have wheels!

CJGFX

Following on from my post earlier, this week sees the 'DRONE' hit the French news with an 18 year old being taken to court this week for endangerment to public and infringement of privacy. He created a superb video, which can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_UBTvL5Rw, but this has lead to his arrest and confiscation of all his multi copters and equipment.
This had also lead to the rules and regulations being looked into by the government. Decisions have still not been finalised but at the moment flying height limits will be put in place as well as flight distance limits. Basically if you want to do long range FPV with a heavy multi copter you will need to get a light aircraft license!
The guy that did this film basically didn't get any permission to do this filming which as you'll see included flying over large amounts of people. When your doing thins like this in a big city, isn't it obvious that you'll need to as someone?
We'll see what happens over the next week with the guys court session and what affects it is going to have on the rest of us here in France…

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Artistic expression against the law in France :confused:? That breaks a many centuries old tradition!

Thurmond

Last edited: